Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southern California
Reload this Page >

San Diego bikepacking help/info with building bikes

Search
Notices
Southern California Southern California

San Diego bikepacking help/info with building bikes

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-22, 10:24 PM
nz_rider

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
San Diego bikepacking help/info with getting bikes

Kia ora koutou and hello,

​​​​​​3 friends and I are planning to undertake the bikepacking route down the length of Mexico starting in early January 2023. We're wanting to buy our bikes in San Diego beforehand because we feel our options for components and set ups will be better and cheaper than what we can get here in New Zealand.

We are looking for some leads on bike shops or bikepacking groups/collectives that could help us source the right set ups on a budget. We were looking to modify old steel 90s mountain bikes and attach addition framing for bags and gear where necessary. Any help appreciated!

Last edited by nz_rider; 08-06-22 at 04:49 PM.
Old 08-05-22, 11:24 PM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

Bikes: one for everything

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 908 Times in 273 Posts
by the time you find 4 used bikes, and perform decades worth of needed maintenance, find obsolete parts. You should be looking at new bikes in the sub $700 range 29er, upgrade the tires with slime liners and bring an extra chain, tires, cables and tubes.

Most bag setups are $200-300. Add camping gear ect ect.

BTW I'd much rather bike-pack USA vs cross the border into Mexico where I'd have a higher chance of getting robbed, killed or both

Popular route are from Seattle to San Diego. If you're more on time crunch you can do San Fran to San Diego. North to south avoids most of the endless head winds
I did this type of route in 6 days while on vacation.
https://theradavist.com/time-moves-s...-to-san-diego/

Bags I used and trusted
https://www.apidura.com/shop/

Alcatraz island in the background
Rule #10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster.
Likes For jsigone:
Old 08-06-22, 09:18 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked 922 Times in 539 Posts
It's a little unclear if by "build our bikes" you mean starting from scratch or to outfit the bikes you are bringing with you? And... waiting until you get over her to start deciding what you'll need or want sounds as if this is your first attempt at something like this. Remember, January over here is Winter.

Regardless, I would take the advice given above and do something US based. Riding the length of Mexico whether experienced or not would not be on the list of vacations choices for me. Don't get me wrong, Mexico can be a beautiful place to vacation in. But, when things go wrong they can go wrong fast and hard.