Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum
Reload this Page >

Which indoor bike to buy?

Search
Notices
Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum From spin to Zwift to Peloton, this forum is dedicated to any and all indoor training on stationary bikes

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-23, 07:59 AM
Cycle2Fit

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi guys,

I hope I am writing on the right place.
I want to buy an indoor bike and I would like to ask you for an advice. The bike should be for my parents who are around 60 (it should also work as a way of recovery of the knee, to keep it in a good condition) and also for me. From what I have seen on the internet, I like the spin bikes, although I am not sure if it is a good option for my parents, if an upright bike is not better. It would be nice to hear your opinion on that too.
I was searching for some spin bikes brands and models and I came to Spinner Star Trac ones, especially the old ones as NXT, Velo, Blade. On the other hand, from the new bikes I am intersted in Schwin ic3/ic4. But the older commercial bikes look like more reliable option to me.
Do you have some of these bikes? Have you used them? Do you think it is a good idea to buy in 2023 an refurbished (or in an original state) Star Trac spin bike, which has, I do not know, maybe 10 years? Also, I know these bikes has a chain, not a belt, so they are noiser. When I watched the videos it seemed quite loud to me and I am not sure if it is not disruptive, unpleasant. Those who have it, used it, what are your opinions? Was it an unpleasant sound for you or you enjoyed the ride in such a way that you did not register sounds ? Which model would you recommend me to buy?
It will be great if you help me with your advice.

Thank you!

Last edited by Cycle2Fit; 01-10-23 at 08:05 AM.
Old 01-10-23, 02:05 PM
HeyItsSara
Meet me at spin class!!!!

Bikes: Precor recumbant indoor bike, Stages bike at Equinox gym

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 53 Posts
I had a recumbant Precor for many years that I liked and was easy on my back. I don't know any of those that you mention. I ride a Stages bike at the gym.
Old 01-10-23, 03:40 PM
dmanthree

Bikes: Garmin/Tacx Bike Smart

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 191 Posts
Originally Posted by Cycle2Fit
Hi guys,

I hope I am writing on the right place.
I want to buy an indoor bike and I would like to ask you for an advice. The bike should be for my parents who are around 60 (it should also work as a way of recovery of the knee, to keep it in a good condition) and also for me. From what I have seen on the internet, I like the spin bikes, although I am not sure if it is a good option for my parents, if an upright bike is not better. It would be nice to hear your opinion on that too.
I was searching for some spin bikes brands and models and I came to Spinner Star Trac ones, especially the old ones as NXT, Velo, Blade. On the other hand, from the new bikes I am intersted in Schwin ic3/ic4. But the older commercial bikes look like more reliable option to me.
Do you have some of these bikes? Have you used them? Do you think it is a good idea to buy in 2023 an refurbished (or in an original state) Star Trac spin bike, which has, I do not know, maybe 10 years? Also, I know these bikes has a chain, not a belt, so they are noiser. When I watched the videos it seemed quite loud to me and I am not sure if it is not disruptive, unpleasant. Those who have it, used it, what are your opinions? Was it an unpleasant sound for you or you enjoyed the ride in such a way that you did not register sounds ? Which model would you recommend me to buy?
It will be great if you help me with your advice.

Thank you!
Is it possible to get them to a gyn so they can try one or two? Maybe compare an upright vs recumbent?
Old 01-11-23, 04:47 AM
Cycle2Fit

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you for your answers. I think recumbent is not a type I would like to go into. Visiting a gym can be a good idea, first I need to find out one which has these bike brands. I am from Europe so probably it is not so wide-spread as in United States.
Old 01-11-23, 05:39 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4402 Post(s)
Liked 4,849 Times in 3,001 Posts
Yeah I think you first need to get your parents on a spin bike vs upright bike to see how they feel about the positions. Then go from there.

The other thing to consider with indoor bikes is the "boredom factor". What are they/you planning to use for entertainment while exercising? This is where smart bikes and Peloton score highly i.e. they keep you much more engaged. But you may be okay with a simple TV parked in front of it. My own experience of pre-smart spin bikes was that they soon started gathering dust!
Old 01-11-23, 06:50 AM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 481 Post(s)
Liked 1,580 Times in 732 Posts
I'm over 60 and ride indoors.
I know you asked specifically about spin bikes, but what do you think about virtual cycling using Zwift? I find Zwift is the antidote to boredom on an indoor cycle. My wife, not a crazy cyclist like me, says the time goes by very quickly when using Zwift compared to riding the trainer while watching TV.

Good luck!