Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Is the Trek District a good price?

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Old 02-13-23, 01:49 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1524 Post(s)
Liked 1,513 Times in 906 Posts

All my bikes are really old, so I'm well out of the new bike game. I discovered that Trek actually makes a good commuter bike, the District, but the $1,750 price tag took me by surprise. What do you think? Could a college student afford it? I'm wondering if I should encourage my local Trek dealer to carry some despite the awful color.

The belt drive and dynamo hub with lights are pretty cool, but I wonder if the 8-speed IGH can handle our terrain; Humboldt State University was long known by students as Hills and Stairs University.
Old 02-13-23, 02:35 PM
RoadWearier

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by Korina
All my bikes are really old, so I'm well out of the new bike game. I discovered that Trek actually makes a good commuter bike, the District, but the $1,750 price tag took me by surprise. What do you think? Could a college student afford it? I'm wondering if I should encourage my local Trek dealer to carry some despite the awful color.

The belt drive and dynamo hub with lights are pretty cool, but I wonder if the 8-speed IGH can handle our terrain; Humboldt State University was long known by students as Hills and Stairs University.
​​​​​​For $300 you can find a trek fx model that will do everything the district will do. Buy a rear rack and rechargeable lights and save $1200 bucks. Plus you would have a much better gear range and save your knees on the hills.

I also wonder when it comes time to service that dyno hub light, how easy will it be with that internal routing. An IGH would be great if you truly think you would ride in rain, sleet and snow, but how likely is that really? How bright is that light? Is it just for being seen or is it really bright enough to ride by? Seems like a neat bike but if you are a student on campus, you'd be better served with something a lot cheaper.
Likes For RoadWearier:
Old 02-13-23, 11:33 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

@RoadWearier, don't forget the rack, fenders, and bell, but you're right about gearing. Dynamo lights are usually see-me rather than seeing. And carbon belt drives sound pretty awesome; quiet, no lube, no rust, and long-lasting.

Thanks for responding.
Old 02-14-23, 01:42 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2473 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 513 Posts
Planet Bike Eco Rack under $30; Planet Bike Fenders under $50; Incredibell (optional) under $30 ...
Likes For Leisesturm:
Old 02-14-23, 06:20 AM
RoadWearier

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 60 Posts
There was actually one of those for sale near me for around $450, I think. The more I read, the less impressed I was. Plus I think they clock in at around 35-36 pounds. The belt drive is a great idea but again I guess it boils down to how many miles you really commute and if you ride in the rain a lot. I also don't think I'd be doing a lot of long distance rides on a bike like that. But if you can afford it and it gets you excited about riding, then go for it! Definitely leave a review!
Old 02-14-23, 08:06 AM
cuevélo

Bikes: '20 Scott Addict RC 30, '13 Trek Soho Deluxe, '91 Greg Lemond Maillot Jaune, Mid '70s Cuevas

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 41 Posts
I think something like that is a really awesome commuter. I'm riding a Trek Soho Deluxe from 2013 which is fairly similar, with an IGH and a gates drive, less the stock dynamo hub. I have a dynamo hub and it is way better than battery lights if you're an all-weather commuter, since cold weather doesn't effect them. They tend to be much better than battery lights for road illumination, without blinding other cars, although I'm not familiar with that particular model. I would rather have a real rack with attachment points to the seat stays. I think that it's good for the price, when you look at the spec list.
Old 02-16-23, 06:08 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Bike prices went nuts the last three years. Pandemic inventory wipeout from "stay home and exercise," then pando supply chain wipeout and profiteering, then inflation. A bike like this feels like it should be well south of a grand.

All that aside it seems like an ok bike.

I can't see college kids buying this thing when there's Craigslist. It's for Sensible Grownups. As for your local dealer, they want to, and can, sell a bike like this plus a motor for four grand to grownups. My wife just bought a Gazelle. It's sturdy and nearly maintenance free and probably in ten years my now 6yo kids will be riding it to high school.
Genesis 49:16-17

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 02-16-23 at 06:12 PM.
Old 02-16-23, 06:30 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4831 Post(s)
Liked 7,821 Times in 3,705 Posts
A few things...
- If my college freshman kid could afford a near-$2k bike, I would tell them they need to start kicking in for more of their tuition - LOL.
- Our campus visit to Humboldt State a bit over a year ago left me with the impression that a campus bike would need a pretty wide gear range, and a heavy bike is going to spend a lot of time parked.
- I don't know how much of a problem bike theft is on campus and the surrounding area, but colleges are fairly well known for being target areas for bike theft.

A story...
This past September, we moved our kid into their freshman dorm at the University of Oregon. During move-in day, we saw quite a lot of new students who had brought their bicycles, including a couple of very decent newer MTBs. That evening, all of the bikes were locked to racks inside the dorm's bike cage, and the cage door was locked. During the early morning hours, the cage door was pulled off the hinges, and the racks were sawed through. Every bike - except one - was gone. The ONL Y remaining bike was locked to a support post, with at least 5 u-locks. This was not random. It was a planned and coordinated effort by multiple people.

I had put together a "townie" bike from a Bianchi frame for my kid to take to school, but at the last minute as we finished packing the car, they decided to leave it home until they had a feel for how/if it would be useful for them. It turned out to be an excellent choice. We both would have been heartbroken if that bike had disappeared.
Old 02-16-23, 07:28 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

@Eric F, yeah bike theft is a cottage industry here. I believe the students got up in arms and demanded secure bike parking, I believe bike lockers.

Build your kid a beater bike; looks like hell, runs well.
Old 02-16-23, 07:46 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
cottage industry, college industry

Is college bike theft worse around big city colleges? I always locked my bike at Purdue and only once got a rear wheel stolen after which I would put the front wheel over the bar and the cable through both. But there was never anyone stealing bikes by the rackful. Where would they go with them? There wasn't anyone outside the college riding around on bikes. Was there some growth in city riding in the 2000's along with single speeds that made a new market for used bikes?
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 02-16-23, 09:02 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7, Trek Emonda ALR, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 1,666 Times in 980 Posts
My local shop had one of those a few years back. It's an interesting bike, I took it for a ride and liked it, but likes others said, you can find other bikes cheaper that will do the same. I did 8k miles of commuting on my old 2003 Trek 7300, when new, was about $450 if I recall correctly. Plus if you are in a college town, that would be a theft magnet. I would pass if it were me. My FX5 runs about 20 lbs, the district weighs in over 30 lbs.

Last edited by jaxgtr; 02-16-23 at 09:06 PM.
Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 02-18-23, 08:18 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 510 Post(s)
Quoted: 7287 Post(s)
Liked 2,362 Times in 1,381 Posts
Is $1,750 affordable? That depends. Is it a good price? Yes, I think so. I think $1,000 or $1,500 for a new bike is reasonable. (Though I never buy new bikes.)

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.