Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Early 80s Pug tandem....

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Early 80s Pug tandem....

Old 09-19-22, 11:31 AM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 2,566 Times in 1,072 Posts
Originally Posted by ehcoplex
Ha- the other day after an 8 or so mi ride on the tandem I got on my PX-10 for a longer solo ride and almost fell off! I'd gotten used to the awkwardness/sluggishness of the tandem and the solo bike squirreled all over for the first minute or two!
Switching from single to tandem or the other way loses its weidness after a while. I remember that sensation when I was new to tandems but now I don't notice it.

Similar thing happened to me when I rode across Canada on my 1974 Grand Record all loaded up with camping gear. The first time I rode it without the load, I didn't like that feeling!

Mark B
Old 09-19-22, 11:33 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5887 Post(s)
Liked 3,470 Times in 2,079 Posts
Originally Posted by bulgie
Ugh, I sorta hate those. The curved seat tube is a dumb idea even when done right and Gitane didn't do it right. The tubes are small diameter — structurally inefficient, either heavy or flexy or both.

Your Peugeot is a much better bike.

Mark B
Too bad, I am thinking of buying one of these and need to decide . . . The bike looks otherwise well equipped (stronglight cranks, drum brake, alloy wheels, weinmann cantilevers, decent simplex derailleurs). Plus 700 x 35c tires is pretty decent for a vintage tandem. I suspect that those long stronglight axles are unobtanium so hopefully they're in OK shape if I do buy it.

Last edited by bikemig; 09-19-22 at 11:42 AM.
Old 09-19-22, 11:43 AM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 2,566 Times in 1,072 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
Too bad, I am thinking of buying one of these and need to decide . . . The bike looks otherwise well equipped (stronglight cranks, drum brake, alloy wheels, weinmann cantilevers, decent simplex derailleurs).
The curved seat tube usually makes the bottom tube (keel tube) shorter. Though there are other ways to design it, that's by far the most common. On a tandem that's already too short in back, compared to your stoker's single bike, moving her feet forward means she probably won't be able to stand on the pedals for climbing because the handlebars are too close. Sometimes even hitting her knees on the bar. Some people never stand, and so can live with that, but I think stokers should be able to, even if only briefly to get some blood flowing in the ol' ischial tuberosities.

I can't think of any advantage to the bent seat tube to compensate for that, other than a slightly shorter wheelbase, maybe handy if your bike storage doesn't have room for a longer tandem. If the curved tube is used to make the chainstays shorter as with a time trial bike, then that's just super dumb on a touring tandem. Pure "con" with no "pro".

People talk about the length of the rear TT on tandems, and it is important (longer always = better, for vintage tandems — there never was one too long). But they don't think as much about the keel tube length, which is probably equally important.

Not usually a Gitane hater, but those tandems bug me.

EDIT: Oops I didn't look at the spec sheet before I posted. That 62 cm R. TT is actually pretty decent as vintage tandems go. I still prefer a minimum of 65 cm, but that was pretty rare in the Classic era.

I take back some of the hate! Sorry about that.

Last edited by bulgie; 09-19-22 at 11:49 AM.
Likes For bulgie:
Old 09-19-22, 11:48 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5887 Post(s)
Liked 3,470 Times in 2,079 Posts
Originally Posted by bulgie
The curved seat tube usually makes the bottom tube (keel tube) shorter. Though there are other ways to design it, that's by far the most common. On a tandem that's already too short in back, compared to your stoker's single bike, moving her feet forward means she probably won't be able to stand on the pedals for climbing because the handlebars are too close. Sometimes even hitting her knees on the bar. Some people never stand, and so can live with that, but I think stokers should be able to, even if only briefly to get some blood flowing in the ol' ischial tuberosities.

I can't think of any advantage to the bent seat tube to compensate for that, other than a slightly shorter wheelbase, maybe handy if your bike storage doesn't have room for a longer tandem. If the curved tube is used to make the chainstays shorter as with a time trial bike, then that's just super dumb on a touring tandem. Pure "con" with no "pro".

People talk about the length of the rear TT on tandems, and it is important (longer always = better, for vintage tandems — there never was one too long). But they don't think as much about the keel tube length, which is probably equally important.

Not usually a Gitane hater, but those tandems bug me.
All great points and I appreciate the OP letting me hijack his Peugeot tandem thread a bit. This bike is a bit tall (21 inch) for the stoker so it may not be as much of an issue here. Plus how hard is it to get a shorter stem for the stoker and/or flip the bars? Just spit balling here but I reckon there might be solutions. Your point about room for the stoker to stand is well taken.
Old 09-19-22, 12:09 PM
ehcoplex 

Bikes: '38 Schwinn New World, ’69 Peugeot PX-10, '72 Peugeot PX-10, ‘7? Valgan, '78 Raleigh Comp GS, ’79 Holdsworth Pro, ’80 Peugeot TH-8 tandem, '87 Trek 400T, ‘7? Raleigh Sports, ‘7? Raleigh Superbe, ‘6? Hercules

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked 1,562 Times in 756 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
All great points and I appreciate the OP letting me hijack his Peugeot tandem thread a bit. This bike is a bit tall (21 inch) for the stoker so it may not be as much of an issue here. Plus how hard is it to get a shorter stem for the stoker and/or flip the bars? Just spit balling here but I reckon there might be solutions. Your point about room for the stoker to stand is well taken.
Interesting about the curved seat-tube cons, etc. I don't have any experience at all with those Gitane tandems, just thought they kinda looked cool, and.... lugs! But makes me feel better (not that I felt in the least bad) about my Peugeot. I kinda doubt I'll be able to get my stoker into any kind of real touring or serious miles- at least for a while- and thus far the Pug has been perfectly fun (and pretty dang cool lookin')!

bikemig , I think it was discussed earlier in this thread that the frame size can be 'big' for the stoker and still work as with the right mounting and dismounting technique the stoker never really needs to 'stand over' the top-tube...
Likes For ehcoplex:
Old 09-22-22, 09:58 AM
ehcoplex 

Bikes: '38 Schwinn New World, ’69 Peugeot PX-10, '72 Peugeot PX-10, ‘7? Valgan, '78 Raleigh Comp GS, ’79 Holdsworth Pro, ’80 Peugeot TH-8 tandem, '87 Trek 400T, ‘7? Raleigh Sports, ‘7? Raleigh Superbe, ‘6? Hercules

Finally got around to swapping in a Suntour Cyclone MII FD for the Simplex I was having trouble with. Just a spin up and down the drive, but it shifts great- no issues dropping down onto the granny! Now to get the Cyclone MII RD I've got sorted out and on there...... And some Bar-cons...... Also searching for a front rack that will allow me to carry a rando bag and a couple low panniers (and that doesn't require mounts other than the ones on the drop-outs and at the crown..... and isn't crazy expensive.... and is silver and looks appropriate on a vintage French tandem......)..
Likes For ehcoplex:
Old 03-27-23, 01:05 PM
ehcoplex 

Current incarnation- built up some fresh wheels with some Phil Wood tandem hubs I scored pretty cheap and a set of NOS Mavic Mod 4 rims. Tight squeeze with 38c tires and fenders, but it works. The Cyclones ended up on my Trek, but the V-GT Luxe RD and Vx FD with bar-cons work great (and bar-end shifters sure are nicer on a tandem than reaching to the down-tube....). I'm not sure the sprung Brooks captain's saddle will stay, but it's what I had on hand. Eventually I want to try a front rack that'll take some panniers (assuming I can convince my stoker to go on enough/long-enough rides to justify). Fender lines still need a little tweaking...... when I get around to it.......

Likes For ehcoplex:
Old 03-27-23, 08:59 PM
Pompiere

Bikes: 1984 Miyata 310, 1986 Schwinn Sierra, 2011 Jamis Quest, 1980 Peugeot TH8 Tandem, 1992 Performance Parabola, 1987 Ross Mt. Hood, 1988 Schwinn LeTour, 1988 Trek 400T, 1981 Fuji S12-S LTD, 197? FW Evans

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 524 Post(s)
Liked 977 Times in 509 Posts
Current incarnation- built up some fresh wheels with some Phil Wood tandem hubs I scored pretty cheap and a set of NOS Mavic Mod 4 rims. Tight squeeze with 38c tires and fenders, but it works. The Cyclones ended up on my Trek, but the V-GT Luxe RD and Vx FD with bar-cons work great (and bar-end shifters sure are nicer on a tandem than reaching to the down-tube....). I'm not sure the sprung Brooks captain's saddle will stay, but it's what I had on hand. Eventually I want to try a front rack that'll take some panniers (assuming I can convince my stoker to go on enough/long-enough rides to justify). Fender lines still need a little tweaking...... when I get around to it.......

Nice job on the Peugeot! Are those the standard Shimano cable stops? I would like to do the same with our tandem.
Likes For Pompiere:
Old 03-27-23, 09:42 PM
ehcoplex 

Originally Posted by Pompiere
Nice job on the Peugeot! Are those the standard Shimano cable stops? I would like to do the same with our tandem.
I think so… or might be Dia Compe..
Not having to reach for DT shifters feels a lot more stable/safer on a tandem!
Old 02-26-24, 04:28 PM
ehcoplex 

So my fantasy that a tandem might get my significant other more interested in riding hasn't really played out as I hoped- rides to the local coffee shop and hops farm/brewery are probably going to be the extent of our tandeming, at least for now. So I've decided to go with a slightly more 'relaxed' cockpit for the time being...

Likes For ehcoplex:
Old 02-26-24, 05:20 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3897 Post(s)
Liked 4,824 Times in 2,227 Posts
Beautiful tandem.

Funny how that 'get the spouse gently into the sport' ..........
Old 02-26-24, 05:42 PM
Pompiere

Bikes: 1984 Miyata 310, 1986 Schwinn Sierra, 2011 Jamis Quest, 1980 Peugeot TH8 Tandem, 1992 Performance Parabola, 1987 Ross Mt. Hood, 1988 Schwinn LeTour, 1988 Trek 400T, 1981 Fuji S12-S LTD, 197? FW Evans

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 524 Post(s)
Liked 977 Times in 509 Posts
So my fantasy that a tandem might get my significant other more interested in riding hasn't really played out as I hoped- rides to the local coffee shop and hops farm/brewery are probably going to be the extent of our tandeming, at least for now. So I've decided to go with a slightly more 'relaxed' cockpit for the time being...
I started to comment on your other post, but then I saw this one, which reflects my own experience with a tandem. We have the same bike, but ours is a little more banged up. I have also swapped to upright bars. I'm hoping I can get my wife to try it again this year. It has been hanging in the garage for too long. At least she will ride her single bike with me.
Likes For Pompiere:
Old 02-26-24, 08:31 PM
sbarner 
Paramount Fan

Bikes: Paramounts, Raleigh Pros, Colnago, DeRosa, Gios, Masis, Pinarello, R. Sachs, Look, D. Moulton, Witcomb, Motobecane, Bianchis, Fat City, Frejus, Follis, Waterford, Litespeed, d'Autremont, others, mostly '70s-'80s

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 132 Posts
I love the Stronglight 49D crossover crankset. I didn't realize they had ever existed.
Likes For sbarner:
Old 02-26-24, 08:58 PM
ehcoplex 

Originally Posted by sbarner
I love the Stronglight 49D crossover crankset. I didn't realize they had ever existed.
They're things of beauty!