Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Anyone Know Where to Get this Ishiwata Decal/Sticker?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Anyone Know Where to Get this Ishiwata Decal/Sticker?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-11, 09:47 AM
Lenton58 

Bikes: Vitus 979, Simplon 4-Star, Woodrup, Gazelle AB, Dawes Atlantis

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 42 Posts
Chris
It's an entry level touring bike built in Canada by Procycle
I seem to remember something about Procycle, but there is no mention of it on mine.

I just looked at mine again. A sticker in the bottom of the seat tube carries this, and being from Canada, it reads both in French and English according to law.

CYCLES PEUGEOT SA
VELOSPORT Inc
usager inscrit/ registered user
Fabrique au Canada/ Made in Canada

On the TT: Serie COLLECTION TRIATHLON DESIGN PS20 This is followed by a stick-man series of little pics showing a swimmer, a cyclist and a runner.

From what I can tell, the PS28 was very similar, but was an upgrade in that it had a lot of Shimano 105 on it instead of the lower ranked stuff like Exage.

My impression is that that these frames — yours and mine — were really quite good. They were entry level only in as much as the stuff that was bolted onto them was of a lower rank.

Curiously, the serial number on mine is stamped on the non-drive side of the seat tube — 8H63434. There are no marks on the BB shell.

I've really taken quite a shine to this frame. As I said above, it rings like a clear bell all the way through the frame — and no matter where you strike it ... the stays ... even the head tube with the head stock races still pressed in!

I am glad to be building it for my boy. I only hope that he does not outgrow it before I get it completed.

Last edited by Lenton58; 09-29-11 at 09:54 AM.
Old 09-29-11, 10:18 PM
Lenton58 

Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver
I might need a repro sticker as well as I am thinking of refinishing the Shasta.
OK, I'll pencil you in ... and I'll be off to look for a foil sticker maker here in Sendai when Allan has finished. I've asked him to relax and not rush. I don't thing that anyof us are in a desparate hurry.

I found a shop about a year ago. I hope the quake didn't break the old building it was in.

Thanks for the comment on your Kuwahara. Nice to know that I am not just tarting up my estimation of what I see.
... Lorne
Old 10-01-11, 05:51 AM
Lenton58 

'EX' TUBE DUDES: PROGRESS REPORT
This morning I received a mail from Alan containing an attachment with his progress on the EX tubing artwork. Very cool! Armed with this, I went to the decal shop and found it GONE. Now it's a real estate office. After pestering a few shop keepers I went to my LBS and — wow — their was a young graphic designer there with a little folder full of decals he had produced ... and some foil stickers. But alas the foils were not made in Sendai. Plus ... he knows of nowhere here that makes them. Tokyo must be HEAVING with places!

So ... I searched about the net and have written a firm in Ohio. I gave them all the details and a low rez jpg. version of the art work. I asked them for a quote for a minimal run. So, I'll be in touch with you, and Alan is working on the fine points in the meantime.
Old 10-03-11, 07:53 PM
Chris_in_Miami
missing in action

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Lenton58
Chris I seem to remember something about Procycle, but there is no mention of it on mine.

I just looked at mine again. A sticker in the bottom of the seat tube carries this, and being from Canada, it reads both in French and English according to law.

CYCLES PEUGEOT SA
VELOSPORT Inc
usager inscrit/ registered user
Fabrique au Canada/ Made in Canada

On the TT: Serie COLLECTION TRIATHLON DESIGN PS20 This is followed by a stick-man series of little pics showing a swimmer, a cyclist and a runner.

From what I can tell, the PS28 was very similar, but was an upgrade in that it had a lot of Shimano 105 on it instead of the lower ranked stuff like Exage.

My impression is that that these frames — yours and mine — were really quite good. They were entry level only in as much as the stuff that was bolted onto them was of a lower rank.

Curiously, the serial number on mine is stamped on the non-drive side of the seat tube — 8H63434. There are no marks on the BB shell.

I've really taken quite a shine to this frame. As I said above, it rings like a clear bell all the way through the frame — and no matter where you strike it ... the stays ... even the head tube with the head stock races still pressed in!

I am glad to be building it for my boy. I only hope that he does not outgrow it before I get it completed.
I agree that it's a nice frame and a nice ride, but some of the details on mine are pretty crude. The rear brake cable stop is effective, but ugly as they come:

My serial is also on the non-drive side of the seat tube, it's 8J88312. Here are some of the other decals on mine:

La Cordée is a sporting goods retailer in Quebec.

Last edited by Chris_in_Miami; 10-03-11 at 08:05 PM. Reason: Added serial #
Old 10-05-11, 08:05 AM
Lenton58 

Thanks for the post Chris. More details for us Canadian production Peugeots to ponder and reflect upon. I for one would buy another PS20 or PS28 frame in another size. The one I got for Shoh (my son) is so small (51) that I may never be able to ride it. I'd really like a 56 EX frame and build it up to ride and see what it feels like.
Old 10-05-11, 08:11 AM
Lenton58 

"EX" DECAL DUDES ... and any dudettes that wanna join us:

I do have some leads and developments in the EX decal saga. I have a producer and artwork. It may take some time, but I'll get back to you about details. I am confident that we will end up with a foil decal — hopefully at a price we are willing to pay. And the bonus may be that we can have whatever color variation you currently have and desire. — Lorne
Old 10-06-11, 11:00 PM
Lenton58 

Hi Ishiwata EX sticker people -- AND any new sign-ups. With the cooperation of Allan and JR the decal maker, we are close to production. So my question to all of you is this: would you be content with the Magenta version on slver foil? Or. are you wanting another version. We have the artwork to do different versions, but of course it means separate runs and the cost will go up. We can vote on this. Allan has done a lot of work on the Magenta version, so I am partial there myself.

Please let me know - PM, Email ... or HERE! ..... Lorne/Lenton
Old 10-07-11, 06:49 AM
fas2c
Rolling along

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It really doesn't matter to me as long as it is a nice decal, no one will know, except us

Thanks Lenton!
I have a decal maker in town but I haven't had the chance to stop in. I'll try at lunch.
Old 10-07-11, 07:55 AM
Chris_in_Miami
missing in action

No preference here, but I'm hoping they're relatively inexpensive as I'm planning to move this bike along in the near future.
Old 10-07-11, 11:25 AM
Lenton58 

No preference here, but I'm hoping they're relatively inexpensive as I'm planning to move this bike along in the near future.
I read you 5 by 5 on that one.

Shoh's bike is a keeper, cuz even if he outgrows it, I hope to prod my wife onto it. She is only 5' 2", but I might squeeze her on the 51 cm frame. Still, I don't wanna spend a fortune on a tube sticker. So, I'll try to work something out — even if I have to tout some of them on-line to help defer the cost.

I'll announce the cost ahead of any production. And besides, it's "my shout", so even if some you back out, I'll take the hit. I've got a lot of work to do on that frame. I intend to burn and scrape the paint off right down the bone with a propane torch. It HAS to be done to preserve the frame. The paint has crazed and O2 has crept through onto the parent metal, but not in any serious way — yet. Anyway, I do not want to do all that work and have the frame unspecified. To me, that is worth more money than I would normally spend on a decal. But I understand your position too.

As for the rest of the graphics — I told JR I'd like some lions, some version of a Pug head badge, and "PEUGEOT" in a darker hue because the frame will be painted white. I'd like the "Fabrique au Canada" decal too, but that is probably more rare than a coelacanth.

You other guys — please let me know your preference for color version.
Old 10-08-11, 12:20 AM
Lenton58 

Chris, fas2c, Sixty Fiver, Alan: I will soon announce how to claim a free Ishiwata EX tubing sticker in the color version of your choice — black with magenta or white on silver foil. This is a promotional gift available to a limited number of people as supplies last. It uses Alan's most excellent artwork. I'll trumpet the decal maker's identity and contact info later. I will be PMing the original interested parties to make sure they have priority before I put out the details here. Please stand by. Lorne

Last edited by Lenton58; 10-08-11 at 06:21 AM.
Old 10-08-11, 07:27 AM
Lenton58 

WE "EX" OWNERS HAVE A DECAL

In the search for this decal, four people showed initial interest in obtaining a decal for various frames constructed from Ishiwata EX 4130 Triple Butted Tubing. Others may follow. Hereafter, this hitherto extinct decal should continue to be available due to the diligence and generosity of two people:

BF'er unworthy1/ Alan, who according to his profession in the graphic arts worked and reworked the artwork to perfection.

"RJ" of VeloCal made this whole effort possible by offering to do an introductory run of 20 decals — 10 of each color variation. VeloCal will provide one complimentary decal to BF members who need them for projects as supply lasts from the first run.

THOSE WHO MADE IT POSSIBLE

Without VeloCal's participation, the first run of this decal would have been too expensive for most of us — all the more so because it is printed on foil.

And, I think all of us who restore bicycles are daunted by the prospects of engaging graphics professionals to reproduce extinct artwork. We are very fortunate to have among us a pro who worked after hours to get this done.

Between unworthy1/ Alan and VeloCal, the repro decal will be an archival reproduction of the original.

I trust that members will come forward on a need only basis they giving actual restorations the attention they deserve.

TO RECEIVE ONE COMPLIMENTARY EXAMPLE FROM THE FIRST RUN ...

In order receive a decal, contact VeloCal at this Email address:

"JR." <wandson1@msn.com>

Specify what color you prefer out of the two versions available — black with magenta on foil, or black with white on foil. (You may or may not get a choice as the first run is mailed out). Attached are small JPEG images to help you. Note: the art versions are not showing the foil; the white version shows a blue hue that prints as white.

I trust that members will come forward on a need only basis they giving actual restorations the attention they deserve.

Thanks … JR of VeloCal

Thanks … unworthy2/ Alan

Lorne/ Lenton58

Last edited by Lenton58; 10-08-11 at 07:32 AM.
Old 10-08-11, 08:20 AM
fas2c
Rolling along

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks so much for everyone's help with this! I have placed my order for the Magenta decal.

Alan/Unworthy2 has been most helpful to me as well.
Old 11-21-11, 09:31 AM
Chris_in_Miami
missing in action

I meant to follow up on this thread weeks ago since the decal arrived, but I let it slip through the cracks. The decal is a dead-on match to the mangled one on my bike, apart from the color - I asked JR to surprise me on the color choice, and he sent a magenta version which looks better than the drab and faded original.

Thanks again to those involved in getting this decal into production, and to JR of Velocals for his generosity!
Old 02-22-12, 10:29 PM
mbbiker

Bikes: '87 Peugeot PB14, '98 homegrown, '72 world sport...

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
happened upon this post and THANK YOU. I'm hoping that there is one left or a way to get ahold of one yet for my Canadian Peugeot PB14. Where did you go for replacement peugeot downtube decals?
Old 02-23-12, 06:13 AM
Lenton58 

mbbiker:
I'm hoping that there is one left or a way to get ahold of one yet for my Canadian Peugeot PB14.
With the uncompromising artistry of Alan [unworthy2] we came up to a brilliant conclusion. Alan's graphic skills really impressed me. In addition, I came to some realization in regards to how much skill and knowledge is really needed to produce good decals — even as I have attempted a few myself with very indifferent results.

In spite of all our scheming and Alan's work, in the end some of us received the promo described in the above posts, and some of us did not. Ironically, even as the OP, I did not receive a decal.

I am planning to have the artwork printed — for a price. I am planning on one (1) sheet — and using Alan's artwork. I am not going to alienate this artwork; it does not belong to me, except to use it for my own purposes of producing a decal. You might consider sending me a PM.

If I can get my hands on archival UV resistant inks for my 6 separation printer, I may try to produce them myself, but it will be on a white background — not foil. It would not be the "true stamp", but it will accurately describe the tubing. If I commission my favourite decal maker, he may produce the decal in foil.

We owners of Canadian Peugeots should stay close. They are rather more obscure birds. I'd like the additional decal that specifies Canadian production — in English and French. The other frame decals don't interest me as much — any sort of roughly period "PEUGEOT" for the DT will do for me. The tubing ID is a priority.

Let me know. — Lenton/Lorne
Old 03-26-23, 10:01 PM
Joleturc

Bikes: way too many...

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Hi Lenton58 unworthy1 , I have one of these nice peugeot made in Canada with ishiwata frame, and wanted to purchase sticker from velocals. Since they threw the towel, I was wondering if you still have some of these in hands as I'd be interrested at getting one.
Old 03-27-23, 08:36 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1140 Post(s)
Liked 1,736 Times in 957 Posts
That was 11 years ago on this thread.

I think the company in Australia may, I don't recall the name. I went to H. Lloyd for my Raleigh a number of years ago.
Old 03-27-23, 09:16 AM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3808 Post(s)
Liked 6,681 Times in 2,609 Posts
https://www.cyclomondo.net/
Old 03-27-23, 09:01 PM
Joleturc

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thank you!
Old 03-28-23, 07:39 PM
Lenton58 

Originally Posted by Joleturc
Hi Lenton58 unworthy1 , I have one of these nice peugeot made in Canada with ishiwata frame, and wanted to purchase sticker from velocals. Since they threw the towel, I was wondering if you still have some of these in hands as I'd be interrested at getting one.
I wish I could help you, but I can't. I was the guy that initiated the project to recreate this formerly extinct decal. As you can see above, I drew out a lot of the artwork and sent photos to the member who was the graphic artist. Every one who contributed to the project got a free decal — except me. I ended up having to order and purchase one.

All the details of how, where and who are lost to my memory. I think I had to buy it from a commercial producer of decals who somehow wound up with the artwork. Looking back on things, it might have been wiser to have put the "file" in the hands of 'Bike Forums' itself — although I don't know how that might have been accomplished. Anyway, it should still be around somewhere, and I hope you can hunt it down.

Ishiwata was a tubing manufacture in Fukushima prefecture — just south of Miyagi prefecture where I live. The company was like a "family", and when it was sold, many of the workers remained. I think — anyone interested should check — the facility finally ended up as 'Kaisei'. It produced high quality tubing that was certified for the building of Keirin competition bicycles.

My Peugeot was built in Manitoba. It has pretty straightforward lugs — nothing fancy. But some of the tubes are triple butted. The Manitoba factory was a workaround for Peugeot at the time when import duties on imported bikes were huge. The story I got was that a lot of the brazing was done by 'First Nations' tpeople as a way of imparting a trade and boosting local employment.
Old 04-01-23, 12:54 AM
Lenton58 

OK, maybe I CAN help. I found the shipping doc that came with the decal:

VeloCals: SKU 612: Ishiwata EX4130 No2 Decal: $8.95 (excluding shipping)

I dunno if VeloCals.com is still in operation. If not, maybe you can track down whomever might have ended up with the artwork for all his stock.
The proprietor was "JR" of Mission Viejo, California. I no longer have the complete address, and besidse. things change in eleven years.

If the decal has gone extinct, I can send you a photo of an unmounted example with a millimetre scale set next to it. I gotta be careful in case someone has a copyright on it. (Kinda ironic).
Old 04-04-23, 03:35 AM
Joleturc

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thank you Lenton58 , I guess yes things probably change in eleven years... I've contacted a company to see if the decals can be done. I've provided pictures of my bike bike and also the draft available in this tread. Let see if they can rejuvenate the thing. If so I'll post the result on here.

Originally Posted by Lenton58
OK, maybe I CAN help. I found the shipping doc that came with the decal:

VeloCals: SKU 612: Ishiwata EX4130 No2 Decal: $8.95 (excluding shipping)

I dunno if VeloCals.com is still in operation. If not, maybe you can track down whomever might have ended up with the artwork for all his stock.
The proprietor was "JR" of Mission Viejo, California. I no longer have the complete address, and besidse. things change in eleven years.

If the decal has gone extinct, I can send you a photo of an unmounted example with a millimetre scale set next to it. I gotta be careful in case someone has a copyright on it. (Kinda ironic).
Old 04-04-23, 10:05 AM
Lenton58 

Thank you Lenton58 , I guess yes things probably change in eleven years... I've contacted a company to see if the decals can be done. I've provided pictures of my bike bike and also the draft available in this tread. Let see if they can rejuvenate the thing. If so I'll post the result on here.
Thanks for the news on your end. In case. you need colour, let me know. My decal came out identical to the one that came on the bike. This surprised me a little, because the font set is perfect, and in particular the pinkish red on the metallic background is precisely the same hue.
Old 06-20-23, 09:15 AM
Joleturc

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I got my new decals. I'm currently working on my bike... I will post some pics once I've finished to mount my "rejuvenated" peugeot

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.