Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Battery power vs USB rechargeable tail light

Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Old 06-17-17, 06:07 PM
etw

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

I regularly use some type of flasher tail light. I previously used a Planet bike super flash turbo. Periodically I would have to put in new batteries. I figured it might be good to be a little more ecological and try a USB rechargeable light. I found one last year that was nice and compact, good design nice and bright. The problem is that it no longer holds a charge particularly well and actually has gone dead while I am on longer rides.

I am wondering what experiences and opinions others have about USB vs batteries.
Old 06-17-17, 06:17 PM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 365 Posts
Originally Posted by etw
I regularly use some type of flasher tail light. I previously used a Planet bike super flash turbo. Periodically I would have to put in new batteries. I figured it might be good to be a little more ecological and try a USB rechargeable light. I found one last year that was nice and compact, good design nice and bright. The problem is that it no longer holds a charge particularly well and actually has gone dead while I am on longer rides.

I am wondering what experiences and opinions others have about USB vs batteries.
I have lights that are 10+ years old(including a couple of PB superflashes) that still work as good as new on NiMH rechargables. Eneloops are great.

I do like the new nice compact USB lights, but expect to toss them after 2-4 years.
Old 06-17-17, 07:05 PM
doctor j

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
I've had good luck with the Cygolite Hotshot.
Old 06-17-17, 07:15 PM
etw

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by znomit
I have lights that are 10+ years old(including a couple of PB superflashes) that still work as good as new on NiMH rechargables. Eneloops are great.
Yeah, maybe rechargeable batteries would solve the problem.
Likes For etw:
Old 06-17-17, 08:42 PM
BikeLite

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 93 Posts
battery power for me.
Old 06-17-17, 08:47 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 510 Post(s)
Quoted: 7291 Post(s)
Liked 2,368 Times in 1,384 Posts
I've had good service from several Cygolite Hotshot tail lights. One of them stopped holding a charge after less than two years, and that didn't seem right. I wrote to the company, and they said it would be $15 to replace the internal battery, so I said it's a deal. I sent in the light. They sent me a brand new light instead of fixing it. I'm satisfied!

LiIon batteries have a finite life, but overall, they're worth it.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Likes For noglider:
Old 06-17-17, 09:02 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
Ditto the Cygolite Hotshot for bang for the buck. Depending on the mode it'll last several hours per charge to a claimed hundreds of hours per charge. I tend to use the most economical triple strobe mode in daylight on every ride, slower pulse modes at night, and only need to recharge once a week or so.

Only problem with the Hotshots is they're almost too bright for my casual nighttime group rides -- it's very distracting to fellow cyclists. So two of my three bikes have lower output Planet Bike or similar combo light/reflectors (using AA or AAA batteries), or I'll set the Hotshot to steady dim. Unfortunately Cygolite Hotshot's all peak at maximum output on every strobe mode, so the only way to dim them is to use the steady mode.

Also, the Hotshots and similar lights have mediocre side visibility. So if that's important plan on using more reflectors or additional lights for side visibility. I'm leaning toward adding colorful LED wheel lights to my hybrids for errands and casual group rides. I've seen several folks around town using these and they really enhance visibility without being excessively bright.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 06-17-17, 10:21 PM
johnny99

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I also have a Cygolite. Battery life isn't great, but recharging is easy. It is sturdier and more waterproof than any battery-powered light that I've owned in the past. The bright flashing modes are really obnoxious to other bicyclists, so I only use the steady or pulse modes. I also have it mounted to my seat stay, which is less obnoxious to other bicyclists than mounting to your seatpost or (especially) your helmet. Unfortunately, some Cygolite models do not come with the seat stay mount, so verify with your shop before buying.

Last edited by johnny99; 06-18-17 at 09:25 AM.
Likes For johnny99:
Old 06-18-17, 04:45 AM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
I've got two Cygolite Hotshots, one of which is about three years old. They're bright and reliable. The longest ride I've done is nine hours and the one I was using was going strong at the end of the ride. I usually ride six days a week, so they get a lot of use. They're much better than replaceable battery-powered lights for daytime use.

Demain, on roule!
Likes For revchuck:
Old 06-18-17, 07:05 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

If you have someone riding behind you, you can put the Cygolite tail light on steady, AND you can turn down the brightness.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Likes For noglider:
Old 06-18-17, 09:58 AM
01 CAt Man Do

Bikes: Mountain bike & Hybrid tour bike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by johnny99
I also have a Cygolite. Battery life isn't great, but recharging is easy. It is sturdier and more waterproof than any battery-powered light that I've owned in the past. The bright flashing modes are really obnoxious to other bicyclists, so I only use the steady or pulse modes. I also have it mounted to my seat stay, which is less obnoxious to other bicyclists than mounting to your seatpost or (especially) your helmet. Unfortunately, so Cygolite models do not come with the seat stay mount, so verify with your shop before buying.
Been using the Hotshot for about three years. Bought the 150 version last year. I have no complaints.

As for the bright flashing modes being too bright ( for group rides ), yep I used to think the same thing. About a week ago while at work ( driving on the road ) I came up on a group of cyclists ( at night ) and they were all using very good rear lighting. Having never come upon a group at night before I have to say I was very impressed at how visible they were. All were using full lighting. What I found surprising was that all of them were using flash modes. To me I would of thought this annoying if riding directly behind someone else while cycling. So much for what I think apparently it wasn't bothering any of them. Then again most of the riders weren't using lamps that appeared super bright.

I wouldn't think having the rear lamp mounted on a seat stay to be a necessary option. Perhaps less obnoxious for a group ride but really if you have a bright rear lamp on the seatpost you can always aim it down if you think it's too bright for the group. Like noglider said if you own one of the Hotshots you have the option to use the steady mode and then lower the output to an acceptable level.

After I passed the guys on the group ride they came up behind me at a light. I opened the sun roof, poked my head out and told the guys I really liked their lights...gave um' the thumbs up.

Last edited by 01 CAt Man Do; 06-18-17 at 10:01 AM.
Likes For 01 CAt Man Do:
Old 06-18-17, 11:18 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
Red LED don't draw as much power as the new white hot headlight ones..

It seems a plug in mains to USB converter is cheap enough, to buy one to have at both ends of your commute.

there are also replacement wall receptacles that have the USB plugs between the 2 mains power ones .

After wednesday the days start getting shorter again.

Winter I use the bike with hub dynamo powered lights. no batteries , just internally powered capacitors for stand lights at traffic stops.

Added, data point. my battery lights:

Have a triple A pair of batteries, in a tail light that came with 2, a rack & seat post mount.

headlight takes 4 double As..

Last edited by fietsbob; 06-19-17 at 10:03 AM.
Old 06-18-17, 11:31 AM
RichSPK

Bikes: Dawes Lightning DLX, 1988 Klein Performance, 1991 Peugeot Safari, 1985 Raleigh Alyeska, Carrera Phantom, 1973 Raleigh Record

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 91 Posts
Originally Posted by etw
I have several traditionally powered taillights and one USB rechargable one. I prefer USB rechargables, but mine uses replaceable AA-sized cells, so I could conceivably throw a couple alkalines in it in a pinch. I'd tell you the brand and model, but I'm indisposed at the moment.
Old 06-18-17, 11:36 AM
RichSPK

Bikes: Dawes Lightning DLX, 1988 Klein Performance, 1991 Peugeot Safari, 1985 Raleigh Alyeska, Carrera Phantom, 1973 Raleigh Record

Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 91 Posts
Originally Posted by RichSPK
I'd tell you the brand and model, but I'm indisposed at the moment.
This is my light! A Sigma Stereo:
https://sigmasport.com/en/produkte/licht-systeme/rueckleuchten/stvzo/stereo
Old 06-18-17, 03:41 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
Originally Posted by 01 CAt Man Do
...As for the bright flashing modes being too bright ( for group rides ), yep I used to think the same thing. About a week ago while at work ( driving on the road ) I came up on a group of cyclists ( at night ) and they were all using very good rear lighting. Having never come upon a group at night before I have to say I was very impressed at how visible they were. All were using full lighting. What I found surprising was that all of them were using flash modes. To me I would of thought this annoying if riding directly behind someone else while cycling. So much for what I think apparently it wasn't bothering any of them. Then again most of the riders weren't using lamps that appeared super bright...
I've noticed many cyclists are too polite to say anything about uncomfortably bright lights used by fellow cyclists.

Fortunately the experienced safety monitor at the back of the pack on many of our group rides will mention it if someone's lights are too bright and distracting -- including mine when I first began using the Hotshot. I was actually grateful for the feedback because I wasn't sure how it appeared to someone behind me at night. I'd only tested it in the store, where it's difficult to be sure about the relative brightness on dark adapted eyes.

Two of my three bikes have dimmer blinkies, bright enough to be effective but not overpowering for group rides. And I have a Blackburn 2'Fer on the back of my helmet, which is right at the limit of being almost too bright on flashing mode, but so far nobody has complained.
Old 06-18-17, 05:50 PM
01 CAt Man Do

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
I've noticed many cyclists are too polite to say anything about uncomfortably bright lights used by fellow cyclists.

Fortunately the experienced safety monitor at the back of the pack on many of our group rides will mention it if someone's lights are too bright and distracting -- including mine when I first began using the Hotshot. I was actually grateful for the feedback because I wasn't sure how it appeared to someone behind me at night. I'd only tested it in the store, where it's difficult to be sure about the relative brightness on dark adapted eyes.

Two of my three bikes have dimmer blinkies, bright enough to be effective but not overpowering for group rides. And I have a Blackburn 2'Fer on the back of my helmet, which is right at the limit of being almost too bright on flashing mode, but so far nobody has complained.
Yeah you're probably right. Most people won't say anything. I would though ...that is if it was just too over-powering. I'd be nice about it though.

I also have one of those cheap Amazon COB type rear lamps that shouldn't be too bright for a group and the light is more dispersed. Still, the low steady mode is suppose to be 50 lumen and that's still pretty bright when up close. I do have a pair of lights that are much dimmer. Those likely would be very suitable for a group ride. Funny but even the cheap $10 lights I own are brighter than some that I've seen some people using. I've been tempted a couple times to wind my window down and ask the person using one of those ( too dim lamps ) just where he bought such a lousy rear light.
Old 06-19-17, 07:15 AM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I really do not like blinkies that take alkaline batteries, because I am always tempted to leave the batteries in and get the last little bit out of them before replacing, and that sometimes leads to getting to my destination and finding out that I was down a taillight (one of the reasons I always run at least two).

With rechargables, I just top them off as part of the normal charging regime (two cameras, headlight, taillight or two, bluetooth headset) and they're always pretty well topped off.

Depending on the light, if it stopped taking/holding a charge I'd probably pop it open and see if it's a size I can get. It's usually not too hard to at least come close on size and solder in a new LiIon.
Old 06-22-17, 03:00 PM
Metaluna

Bikes: Niner RLT 9 RDO, Gunnar Sport, Soma Saga, Workswell WCBR-146

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by ItsJustMe
I really do not like blinkies that take alkaline batteries, because I am always tempted to leave the batteries in and get the last little bit out of them before replacing, and that sometimes leads to getting to my destination and finding out that I was down a taillight (one of the reasons I always run at least two).
This can be a problem with rechargeables too, if you're the kind of person (like me) who doesn't like to keep the built-in Li-Ion cells topped off to 100% all the time. So I'll often let my Dinotte Quad Red go for 8-12 hours before I plug it in for recharging, but at some point I assume the battery is going to have aged enough to start shutting down on me in that time.

More seriously, I've had some AA and AAA lights that would shut themselves off after an hour or two of bad roads, presumably because the battery would momentarily lose contact and the light would reset. Since most of these lights have a soft power switches, once the circuit de-energizes and loses state, the light has no way of knowing it was supposed to be on once the battery makes contact again. I've had problems with older Cateye, Planet Bike, and PDW lights, though I have a few newer Planet Bike blinkies and haven't noticed any issues, so maybe they figured it out finally.
Old 06-22-17, 09:07 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

@Metaluna the new lithium-whatever batteries can be topped up as often as you like, and in fact, it's better than letting them run down.

Old 06-23-17, 12:58 AM
blue192

Bikes: Norco Scene 1, Khs Westwood, Jamis Allegro 3x

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 47 Posts
+1 on the Cygolight Hotshot.
Old 06-24-17, 07:52 PM
johnlp37

Bikes: '88 Centurion Ironman, '97 Jamis Eclipse,'84 Ron Stout, '89 Miyata 1400, '82 Miyata 1000,'88 Schwinn Tempo, '84 Fuji Touring Series IV

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Cygolight Hotshot USB for me as well.
Old 06-25-17, 11:42 AM
gracehowler
Rod & Judy

Bikes: Specialized S-works E-5, Davinci joint venture , CoMotion Pangea

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
ETW
I have the same planet light, just use it in the dark on blink, my commute is 3 miles, regular old alkaline last me over a year!
R
Likes For gracehowler:
Old 06-25-17, 12:50 PM
01 CAt Man Do

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
@Metaluna the new lithium-whatever batteries can be topped up as often as you like, and in fact, it's better than letting them run down.
I agree. Deep discharges only make the battery age faster. I charge mine after every other ride since I generally only ride about an hour in the dark.

@GraceHowler; Put some new batteries in your lamp NOW. If you're using Alkaline AAA's and they've been in a Superflash about a year it's time. Doesn't matter that the lamp still comes on when you turn it on. Batteries generally recover a little if they've not been used a while but once you start riding with the lamp on the output will fade real fast. If you want to assure the highest output then you want to replace the batteries on a regular basis. If you don't ride too much maybe every couple months will do but it all depends on how long you use the lamp and how often. If I were using a Superflash I'd either use rechargeable AAA's or I'd replace the alkalines after I rode about 10 hrs. ~ ~ ~

My next to oldest rechargable ( Li-ion ) light is about 3yrs old. It is a Serfas Shield TL-60. I broke the clip on it but still used it for at least 1.5 seasons. Before the Shield I was using the first version of the Hotshot. Then I bought the Performance version of the Shield ( which cost less ) and used that since it had the clip and the Shield didn't . Since the Shield ( or Performance Axiom ) light had a slightly wider optic I preferred those over the original Hotshot. Eventually I switched back to Cygolite because the Hotshot had been upgraded to 150 lumen and was now using a wider optic. Anyway, my original Shield now seems to have a problem holding a charge. It still works but I rarely ever try to use it.

USB Rechargeable Li-ion powered rear lamps can be bought cheap if you aren't looking for the better brand names. That means if the battery goes up it's real easy to just eat it and buy another. As long as I can get three or more years out of a rechargeable I can live with it if the battery goes up. Nice to know though that Cygolite is willing to replace the whole lamp ( for a small price ) if the battery starts to go up. Anyway, the convenience of having something that is USB rechargeable ( and quick release ) makes it all worth it in the end, even if it only lasts 2-3 years.
Old 06-27-17, 06:57 AM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 243 Times in 180 Posts
I've been really impressed with the Bontrager Flare. I used to use the Hotshots. The Flare has better optics (IMHO) that make it more visible than other lights with more lumens.

The Flare also has a version with a remote wireless switch so you can switch down and change modes while riding. This is really nice for group rides, I'm told.

Last edited by JohnJ80; 06-27-17 at 07:06 AM.
Old 06-27-17, 07:07 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5220 Post(s)
Liked 3,565 Times in 2,332 Posts
when I commuted with my PBSF(s) I used rechargeable eneloop AAAs. worked great. had 2 chargers (home & work), in case I forgot to charge at home I could always do it at work, if nec.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.