Everything SART

Old 03-13-22, 03:51 PM
Evangsmith2002

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why so many cyclists today?

I’ve been out of the area for 6 months, and I was stunned by how many people I saw riding the SART today. Is it gas prices? Daylight savings? Why so many people?
Old 03-13-22, 07:30 PM
popeye

Bikes: S works Tarmac, Felt TK2 track

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 111 Posts
It has been pretty quiet during the week. We don't ride it on weekends due to the number of clueless folks.
Old 03-14-22, 07:15 PM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1776 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 983 Posts
Originally Posted by Evangsmith2002
I’ve been out of the area for 6 months, and I was stunned by how many people I saw riding the SART today. Is it gas prices? Daylight savings? Why so many people?
Its always crowded on sunny weekends, more-so the closer you get to the beach. Try riding it at dawn and you'll find lighter traffic on it; most folks out at that time are out for a workout and pay attention to what's in front of them. I was out on it about 6AM-7AM Saturday morning and had no issues.
Old 05-04-22, 12:58 PM
EvilEuro
Getting A Pedicure

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Katella Gates Reopening -- Date TBD

For those of us who have used the SART for many years, you may remember that the gates at the Katella bridge crossing used to be wide open in the days before the homeless encampment issues. When the homeless camps were cleared out the double gates at Katella were closed and never reopened, leaving only the narrow side entrances for use on both banks of the bridge crossing. The entry angles are sharp, the width of the opening narrow, and it can really slow things down on the weekend when large groups are riding, or at any time when riders meet going opposite directions.

In short, it has been a pain in the butt and nuisance for riders. However, that is about to change.

I sent an email a few weeks ago to OC Parks, the county department responsible for the Santa Ana River Trail, asking why the larger double gates at the Katella bridge crossing were still closed after the homeless camps had been removed? They politely told me that the gates were still being kept closed to prevent unwanted vehicle access to the trail and to prevent trespassing. I noted the issues this creates for SART riders and pointed out that double gates were open at other points on the SART (Ball Rd, Lincoln Ave, and Chapman Ave), as well as at the ARTIC station parking lot just a few hundred yards from the Katella bridge.

Another issue is that while OC Parks is responsible for the SART, it is OC Public Works who is responsible for the gates and any installation changes that may need to happen.

I received a email this morning saying that this issue is about to change. Quoting from the email:

I am working with our fence contractor on building a big double gate that will be opened and closed every day. This will allow the full opening (22 feet) to be used as trail access. We are also going to install pull bollards to prevent unwanted vehicular access. I don’t have an exact date for the install, but I wanted to let you know that I’m working on it!
While there is no exact date given for the change, it should be happening sooner rather than later. And it'll make crossing the bridge much easier than it has been in the recent past. I believe that the bridge gates will open at dawn and close at dusk, similar to the entrance at ARTIC.

OC Parks has been brilliant in all of this. The entire exchange took less than two weeks and they were very responsive once the issue was brought to their attention.
Likes For EvilEuro:
Old 05-04-22, 07:17 PM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

The big gates along the southern stretch (Katella to the beach) were also closed, I presumed that was to keep homeless folks with trailers full of junk from coming on to it. The narrower 'one-bicycle-at-a-time' gates were always open. The other homeless camp in Fountain VAlley was on the opposite side of the river from the trail, so no real direct impact to riders, and that one got removed before the biggie one next to Angel Stadium. The only other thing that's still closed (at least three weeks ago it was) is that small 'triangle park' in Santa Ana where you cross over between Enda Park in Garden Grove to Santa Ana just above the 17th street bridge. That was a great place to stop for a drink or turn around, but it became a homeless congregation point and I'll bet the folks in the neighboring condo buildings were glad to see it fenced.
Old 05-06-22, 06:51 AM
2seven0

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 235 Times in 101 Posts
There's been recent re-surfacing of the tree root humps between Kraemer & Lakeview. The worst parts are fixed & judging on spray markings more work is planned.
West
Old 07-07-22, 01:24 PM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

I was on the lower portion this morning, PCH to 17th Street footbridge. As I was going under the 405 freeway I noticed they had replaced the construction lighting in the tunnel with permanent lighting (yeah!). Its dark through there any time of day (hi-contrast when you come out of the mid-day sun), so that should help with traffic going through it. Also noted the entry gate that ran along side the 405 on the north side has been re-opened; at least the temp gate that was used to shut it off during construction activities has been removed. And below the 405 there's a project underway to remove sand that's been washed downstream during the past winter (did we even have any significant flows?) and it get pretty dusty as they load trucks in the riverbed.
Likes For skidder:
Old 10-12-22, 09:06 AM
EvilEuro
Getting A Pedicure

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Received an email from OC Parks this morning saying that the modifications of the gates at the Katella bridge crossing are now installed. Modifications were completed on 3 October 2022.

This is the view now heading south on the SART to the Katella bridge. This will be much easier for everyone than having to squeeze through the narrow opening at the side. Can anyone confirm that the same thing has been done to the west bank gate next to Honda Center?

All credit and thanks to OC Parks for getting this done relatively quickly.

Old 10-12-22, 09:37 AM
popeye

Originally Posted by EvilEuro
Received an email from OC Parks this morning saying that the modifications of the gates at the Katella bridge crossing are now installed. Modifications were completed on 3 October 2022.

This is the view now heading south on the SART to the Katella bridge. This will be much easier for everyone than having to squeeze through the narrow opening at the side. Can anyone confirm that the same thing has been done to the west bank gate next to Honda Center?

All credit and thanks to OC Parks for getting this done relatively quickly.

Now fix the other side which has the same problem but a worse sight line.
Old 10-17-22, 10:02 AM
2seven0

Bikes: A few

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 235 Times in 101 Posts
The old wooden bridge at Edna Park in SA is closed & fenced-off. You must exit & cross the bridge at 17th St. The sidewalk is narrow & there is no shoulder area on the traffic lane. I'd avoid it on weekends.
There is a container sitting beside the bridge entrance on the west side fingers crossed the old wooden splinterey base timbers are going to be replaced????
No idea how long the closure/repairs will take.
West
Likes For 2seven0:
Old 01-06-23, 04:04 PM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

FYI: I haven't been on the SART in a while so went for a ride on the lower section about mid-morning today (PCH to 1St Street in Santa Ana). Original plan was to go all the way to the stadium but the trail was blocked for activity just beyond 1st street (police cars with lights on). Construction crews have started to replace the planks on the walk bridge between HB and Costa Mesa and its closed. To get around that you have to cross at Adams Ave; If coming southbound you can get off at Adams and jaywalk across, or ride under Adams and ride another 1/2 mile until you're forced to turn back up to Adams on the top of the levee, then go across the Adams Ave bridge. Northbound you go past the footbridge up to Adams and cross the bridge and pick up the 1/2 mile + 1/2 mile detour. Or just go up to Adams and jaywalk across. The underpass on the HB side of Adams looked like it had a lot of mud settled from the current rains, but the OC Public Works had a crew in the area and may clean it by Saturday morning. The 405 freeway under pass is clear, a few small puddles in there but no problems going through it (no mud build-up).
Old 02-21-23, 06:14 PM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Originally Posted by skidder
FYI: I haven't been on the SART in a while so went for a ride on the lower section about mid-morning today (PCH to 1St Street in Santa Ana). Original plan was to go all the way to the stadium but the trail was blocked for activity just beyond 1st street (police cars with lights on). Construction crews have started to replace the planks on the walk bridge between HB and Costa Mesa and its closed. To get around that you have to cross at Adams Ave; If coming southbound you can get off at Adams and jaywalk across, or ride under Adams and ride another 1/2 mile until you're forced to turn back up to Adams on the top of the levee, then go across the Adams Ave bridge. Northbound you go past the footbridge up to Adams and cross the bridge and pick up the 1/2 mile + 1/2 mile detour. Or just go up to Adams and jaywalk across. The underpass on the HB side of Adams looked like it had a lot of mud settled from the current rains, but the OC Public Works had a crew in the area and may clean it by Saturday morning. The 405 freeway under pass is clear, a few small puddles in there but no problems going through it (no mud build-up).
The bridge has been re-opened. It about two feet narrower across as they put new railing up the sides (former railings were on the steel bridge structure itself). New decking planks don't feel any different than the old ones but the screws they used on them do stick up 'ever-so-slightly'. No evidence any parts of the bridge's steel was replaced so it must be in good shape even though its only two miles (unobstructed wind flow) from the ocean.
Old 04-06-23, 07:28 PM
Evangsmith2002

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
E bikes on the SART?

What do y’all think about e-bikes on the SART? Are they even legal there? Normally I wouldn’t care, but it seems like at least once/ride I see one either going too fast for the conditions, or crossing the centerline because they are staring at their phone, or sometimes, both.
Old 04-07-23, 12:18 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1626 Post(s)
Liked 3,112 Times in 1,682 Posts
don't like e-bikes on the various mups for a couple of the reasons you listed. the river trails/paths would seem to be a respite from car-centric
southern california but they bring other problems. bleep, have seen full-size crotch rockets on a few of the paths over the years. gotta keep the
head up and keep from zoning out. still, would rather people be on e-bikes vs driving cars in general. the more people than realize issues that
cyclists /e-cyclists face, the better. may be able to effect more meaningful/beneficial changes for cyclists.
Old 04-10-23, 12:12 PM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
Class 1 ebikes are legal on the bike paths but nobody cares - I've seen cars, motorcycles, e motorcycles, side by sides, and quads on the river trails. On Saturday afternoon I probably saw more mini mopeds than pedal bikes.
Old 04-12-23, 09:18 AM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

E-bikes are getting to be normal on the SART and the SGRT, and YES they are going quite a bit faster than regular bicycles (with the exception of the occasional speeding TT groups (my favorite 'punching bag'). My real peeve are the motorized bicycles, the beach cruiser-style bicycles with gasoline-powered motors on them, that zoom along even faster than e-bikes. I'm retired so able to ride the SART during the week when traffic on it is light, but still a few crazy e-bikers out there. Overall its probably a low priority for enforcement for the LEOs along the SART, so you just have to be aware of what's around you and hope karma takes care of the miscreants.
Old 04-12-23, 11:15 AM
popeye

We have ridden weekdays for years and I thought I had seen everything but yesterday we had a Harley and nakid guy just strolling along above the duck pond. Yea it's mostly ebikes no helmets all day now. From Newort to Yorba Linda, Huntington Beach is the most dangerous as the locals don't believe in rules.
Old 04-12-23, 07:42 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1938 Post(s)
Liked 1,460 Times in 1,011 Posts
Originally Posted by skidder
E-bikes are getting to be normal on the SART and the SGRT, and YES they are going quite a bit faster than regular bicycles (with the exception of the occasional speeding TT groups (my favorite 'punching bag'). My real peeve are the motorized bicycles, the beach cruiser-style bicycles with gasoline-powered motors on them, that zoom along even faster than e-bikes. I'm retired so able to ride the SART during the week when traffic on it is light, but still a few crazy e-bikers out there. Overall its probably a low priority for enforcement for the LEOs along the SART, so you just have to be aware of what's around you and hope karma takes care of the miscreants.
Karma = brakes grossly insufficient for the velocity enabled by the motor?
Old 04-12-23, 11:12 PM
RandomlyWest

Bikes: 2021 Batch Mountain Bicycle, 1989 Schwinn Impact, 2018 Micargi Avant, 1985 Asahi 790, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 2021 SE Lager

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
The ebike of choice for the lazy on the SART seems to be the Super73, which is marketed as an "adventure bike" but is basically a speed-restricted electric motorcycle. I see them all the time. I see people not pedaling them all the time as they do 20-25mph. I have wondered if they call it "Super73" because it looks more or less like a cheap lousy motorbike sold in a developing country in 1973.
Old 04-13-23, 09:33 AM
Drk

Bikes: Old - Trek 970, Trek Pilot 5.0. New - Giant Explore 2.0 e-bike

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
This is a tough issue for guys like me that rely in an e-bike to allow me to keep riding with my health issues. (I usually average around 12 - 14 mph.) I worry about the talk of totally banning e-bikes. To me, there is a serious issue with people ( and it's not just kids I see) totally disregarding peoples safety by speeding down the path unsafely. But I've see people on road bikes traveling and passing at unsafe speeds also. I wish there was a way to safely enforce speed laws rather than just outright banning the ebikes, but unfortunately, that's usually how they handle things, just outlaw everybody.
Old 04-13-23, 10:07 AM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 1,955 Times in 941 Posts
The cow is out of the barn.
E-bikes are not going away and MUPS just suck with careless riders and miscreants of society gravitating towards them to not be seen by law enforcement.

Except for the North SGRT, I avoid MUPS like the plague.
If careless e-bike enthusiasts want to clog the MUPS or beach areas, have at it.
I will be in the canyons, hills and mountains where they are scarce for obvious reasons.
Old 04-22-23, 01:21 PM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

I was out there early this morning (6AM-7:30AM) and there were a few E-bikers, but nobody ripping along at near-supersonic speed; actually strangely quiet for a sunny Saturday morning. The bigger problem were those invisible gnats that form mating swarms. Tons of those everywhere and you don't see them until you're into the "cloud" and breath in ta choking mass of them. I've thought it strange none have appeared this spring with all the rains we've had, but I guess I was too optimistic. If that's they biggest issue on the SART, I can deal with it. A few homeless look like they're re-inhabited some of the underpasses in Santa Ana (1st, 5th, McFadden Ave), but not a mass of them setting up a 'neighborhood.' Easy to figure out where they are with the trash starting to accumulate below their encampments.
Old 04-27-23, 01:34 PM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
This morning, Thursday April 27, 2023 around 9:15am, I filled up gas at the local Fountain Valley Costco and headed to work along Talbert going East. I saw Fire and Police activity on the SART. That would be the South East direction of the SART. At the bike path there, some activity. Couldn't see what because I was driving.
Old 05-12-23, 06:19 PM
lilpoindexter

Bikes: 2013 Fuji Absolute 1.4

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
SNAKE!!!
SART...up north...in riverside i was on the SART between Van Buren and Martha McLean-Anza Narrows Park head up to Mt Rubidoux in Riverside. I thought it was a rope, or a cable....but as I got closer, the little monster started coiled up, and formed the creepy "S" shape and started slithering away. As I got closer, the snake moved faster. I havent been in the area in a long time, and the winter rains really caused a lot vegetation growth. What used to be barren sand bars, have been completely covered by native yellow vegetation. There was complete homeless apartment complexes down in the river too. Great day for a bike ride.
Old 05-14-23, 04:41 PM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

I was out there this morning and noticed some homeless have set up shop under the bridges from about the 17th street bridge (right after the newly opened recreation bridge) down to the 1st Street bridge in Santa Ana. There was even someone with a campfire going next to the 17th St bridge (south side)! No debris on the trail where it passes under the bridges. This is pretty typical for this time of year, but if you wear glasses realize there can be a heavy invisible mist in the air as you get close to the beach and it can quickly build up on your lenses and obscure your vision, so make sure you're ready with a good one-finger-windshield wiper technique.