Bike fitters in LA

Old 05-08-21, 01:48 PM
hirudo 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Bike fitters in LA

Does anybody have any experience with bike fitting in Los Angeles? (Positive or negative?)
I live near Pasadena and am looking for a ftter
Old 05-10-21, 06:23 PM
sshakari

Bikes: Canyon Endurace, Merckx liege 75, Cinelli Vigorelli

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 61 Posts
I am interested as well, but live in Tarzana. I would prefer a fitter who does not use the drop a plumb method. That never worked for me and was a waste of money, twice.
Likes For sshakari:
Old 05-11-21, 08:56 AM
Tycho Brahe 

Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 67 Posts
Also interested. Went to one place years ago that closed.

Was looking at these suggestions https://www.******.com/r/BikeLA/sear...&restrict_sr=1 (the site is r-e-d-d-i-t)
Likes For Tycho Brahe:
Old 05-11-21, 09:52 AM
hirudo 

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thank you

Originally Posted by Tycho Brahe
Also interested. Went to one place years ago that closed.

Was looking at these suggestions https://www.******.com/r/BikeLA/sear...&restrict_sr=1 (the site is r-e-d-d-i-t)

Thank you... never thought i would get a recommendation from an 18th century astronomer
Likes For hirudo:
Old 05-11-21, 10:28 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked 922 Times in 539 Posts
Just come over to my house. I have all the correct wrenches to adjust anything and I've always enjoyed telling people what they're doing wrong.
Likes For TakingMyTime:
Old 05-11-21, 04:51 PM
sshakari

Originally Posted by TakingMyTime
Just come over to my house. I have all the correct wrenches to adjust anything and I've always enjoyed telling people what they're doing wrong.
You could have a fit party & we will bring food & beer. Sriously.
Likes For sshakari:
Old 05-12-21, 03:26 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 995 Post(s)
Liked 1,203 Times in 689 Posts
I never actually ended up seeing him as I worked my issues out on my own before he was available, but multiple people recommended Nate Loyal when I was asking around.
https://www.loyalcoaching.com/

I might end up going to see him after all as my aging body is now favoring a more upright position and I'm not sure it's working out for me.
Old 05-12-21, 11:44 PM
calamarichris
Banned.

Bikes: '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi), '94 Greg Lemond, '99 GT Pulse Kinesis

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 269 Times in 153 Posts
Another vote for Nate Loyal. I felt like an utter TOOL driving all the way up to LA from Carlsbad, then spending 3 hours and $180 so that Nate could shift my saddle down and forward about 1cm, and shifting my cleats half a cm rearward on my shoes.

But two weeks later, I cancelled my appointment with the knee surgeon and realized that knee surgeon would have charged me roughly 100x what I paid Nate Loyal.

Then my FTP kept creeping up. Then I had a string of sub-5-hour centuries. THEN I realized: 5 hours times 60 minutes per hour (300 minutes) x 90 rpm (cadence) = 27,000 repititions! OF COURSE you're going to have knee problems if you're half an inch off.

I am not a friend of Nate Loyal, nor has he ever granted me a discount. But that $180 turned out to be better than any sew-ups, coaching sessions, Oakley sunglasses, or aero-wheels I ever bought.

Last edited by calamarichris; 05-12-21 at 11:48 PM.
Likes For calamarichris:
Old 05-13-21, 05:44 PM
Tycho Brahe 

Nate Loyal is now $250.
Old 05-14-21, 02:07 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 3,112 Times in 1,682 Posts
Nate Loyal is now $250.
what size frame you riding? 58?
Old 05-14-21, 08:07 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked 922 Times in 539 Posts
I've always been kind of a "hit or miss" old school mentality kind of guy when it comes to my bike fit. I'm sure in some extreme cases a professional bike fitting may be useful. But I've always found that obtaining some base level knowledge and then adjusting from there will usually do it. I'm not trying to derail this thread... I'm just suggesting that a little tweak here or there might save you $250.
Likes For TakingMyTime:
Old 05-15-21, 12:33 PM
sshakari

In my opinion, if you can get a fit with a computerized motion sensor - have no idea what that is called fit, it is worth $250.
I heard great things about Nate and on his site he does not say if he uses a computerized fit approach. At the same time Im he is just as good as a computer at it.
So, that is why I have not gotten a fit - cant make up my mind and because I've had 2 different fit sessions with the drop a plum guys and they were both not right for me.
Im still dialing in my fit after 15 years of riding.
Old 06-01-21, 04:52 PM
sshakari

I've been thinking about a fit more and more, just not feeling like my current setup is working for me.

I found a remote bike fitting with a laser. They mail you all the supplies, sensors and include consultation for setting saddle fore and aft positions.
The plan includes 3 consultations. I don't have a home trainer, but posting in case this can be helpful to others.
They are called Leomo the site is here
Old 12-05-21, 01:33 PM
Lyles

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
road bike (not-for-racing) fitting for 6'3" tall male with most of height above waist

Hi bike experts,

I'm looking to get advice on identifying a good light weight road bike (not to race) given my dimensions and a reliable place to be fitted in the San Fernando Valley, Los Angeles to help clarify modifications (e.g., changing step height to 100cm; or putting in a smaller/larger crank size) that will work best for me.

I am 6'3" with a long spine as most of my height is above my waist, and I'm 48 years old, so not as flexible as I once was.

inseam=34.75”

arm-length=29”

I know the frame will be somewhere between 58 inches and 61 inches. Can you please help me to figure out the frame size that is the most comfortable given my dimensions?

I'm not sure if a compact frame or classic frame is better. Ideally the frame size would allow me to pick the best distance to the handlebars, angle of the handlebar, stem height, and crank size for the most comfort based on my dimensions. I know I want to be able to lean forward enough for when I'm off the seat and pedalling while going up hills, but I'm not a racer and not looking to always be leaning forward at a 45-60 degree angle.

I would also like to be able to put a bike rack in the back for a rear child seat to use when riding with my 2-year old child.

It looks like the first step in this process is determining the right frame size for me given my dimensions, and then determining the best distance to the handlebar, angle of the handlebar, stem height, crank size for the most comfort based on my dimensions. Right?

Any help narrowing down the frame size would go a long way. Any ideas on some places that have the resources and patience to allow me to try different combinations of frame sizes (58cm-61cm) with the other mentioned variables to to help with this process?

Thank you in advance.

Lee
Old 12-09-21, 11:51 PM
Lyles

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
utility of hiring Nate to determine right frame size to use for hybrid gravel bike

Originally Posted by calamarichris
Another vote for Nate Loyal. I felt like an utter TOOL driving all the way up to LA from Carlsbad, then spending 3 hours and $180 so that Nate could shift my saddle down and forward about 1cm, and shifting my cleats half a cm rearward on my shoes.

But two weeks later, I cancelled my appointment with the knee surgeon and realized that knee surgeon would have charged me roughly 100x what I paid Nate Loyal.

Then my FTP kept creeping up. Then I had a string of sub-5-hour centuries. THEN I realized: 5 hours times 60 minutes per hour (300 minutes) x 90 rpm (cadence) = 27,000 repititions! OF COURSE you're going to have knee problems if you're half an inch off.

I am not a friend of Nate Loyal, nor has he ever granted me a discount. But that $180 turned out to be better than any sew-ups, coaching sessions, Oakley sunglasses, or aero-wheels I ever bought.
Hi,

I'm looking to get advice on identifying a good light weight gravel bike (not to race) given my dimensions and a reliable place to be fitted in the San Fernando Valley, Los Angeles to help clarify modifications (e.g., right frame size, changing step height to 100cm; or putting in a smaller/larger crank size) that will work best for me.

I am 6'3" with a longer back as most of my height is above my waist, and I'm 48 years old, so not as flexible as I once was.

inseam=34.75”

arm-length=29”

I know the frame will be somewhere between 58 inches and 61 inches.

Ideally, once I determine the right frame size, then I could pick the best distance to the handlebars, angle of the handlebar, stem height, and crank size for the most comfort based on my dimensions. I know I want to be able to lean forward enough for when I'm off the seat and pedalling, but I'm not a racer and not looking to always be leaning forward at a 45-60 degree angle.

I would also like to be able to put a bike rack in the back for a rear child seat to use when riding with my 2-year old child.

Would hiring Nate Loyal for fitting be a good idea if what I want it to determine is the right frame size given my dimensions, and then determining the best distance to the handlebar, angle of the handlebar, stem height, crank size for the most comfort based on my dimensions?

Thank you in advance.

Lee
Old 06-08-22, 03:50 PM
Tycho Brahe 

Nate Loyal is now $250.
And now Nate Loyal charges $300.

No issues with him charging those prices, just wish there was a shop still doing simple bike fits. Everyone wants $200+ for super-complex fits.
Old 06-08-22, 04:38 PM
Chinghis

Bikes: Historical: Schwinn Speedster; Schwinn Collegiate; 1981 Ross Gran Tour; 1981 Dawes Atlantis; 1991 Specialized Rockhopper. Current: 1987 Ritchey Ultra; 1987 Centurion Ironman Dave Scott Master; 1992 Specialized Stumpjumper FS

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked 178 Times in 111 Posts
You might check with Around The Cycle in Pasadena. They have a guy who comes up from Carlsbad, I think. I did it with him, just the cheap one, since I'm just an enthusiast/commuter. I thought it helped a bit, but look into what others might say about him.
Old 06-08-22, 04:43 PM
polymorphself 

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Liked 1,080 Times in 521 Posts
And now Nate Loyal charges $300.

No issues with him charging those prices, just wish there was a shop still doing simple bike fits. Everyone wants $200+ for super-complex fits.
To me a simple bike fit is the top tube comes to your groin but doesn't push in, your legs are nearly fully extended at the downstroke, and you're not too stretched out or cramped reaching the bars
Old 10-14-22, 03:39 PM
sshakari

Had a fit session with Nate. Well worth the time & money. He does not have a computerized jig and uses your own bike frame to get you fitted. He does use video to assess your position on the bike. I had my seat lowered, shims on shoes & cleats. Im very satisfied.