Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

When you Updated Your Commute Clothes...

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Old 12-27-22, 11:39 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 1,658 Times in 822 Posts

...what happened?

My current bike clothes are wearing out and I'm worried that replacing the individual articles will throw-off my cool and cold temperature "formulas". Well, I'm not THAT worried, but I was curious if any of you have replaced or upgraded one or more of your layers and had your "formula thrown off.

It's been so long since I settled on my layer scheme and components I can't remember what happened before when I switched (or I'm just getting senile).

Perhaps misjudging the weather has more of an effect than changing out the clothes.

I've been spoiled having been able to use the same non-cycling specific clothing for so long. The long black, slightly breathable athletic pants I use now, breath just the right amount to go from ~45F down to ~15F before I have to put a wind-breaking shell over them. I have a "magic" long-sleeve, synthetic Liz Claiborn polo-style top woven just right that when used as a. layer seems to give me the temperature flexibility that I can't get without it.

I guess those are really the only two pieces of kit I am worried about replacing, and a little research will probably get me suitable replacements.

But I'm still curious, any stories, good or bad about replacing commuting clothing?
Old 12-28-22, 04:29 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1477 Post(s)
Liked 637 Times in 436 Posts
A lot of the clothing I ride cycling are just normal clothing you'd wear riding the bus or driving.

I have a bunch of jerseys with full front zippers I had purchased at a sale for $10 each but I don't wear them any more. They are more useful at the gym when I can unzip them after getting all sweaty. Easier than trying to pull off a sweaty tee shirt.
Likes For Daniel4:
Old 12-29-22, 08:03 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Originally Posted by Daniel4
A lot of the clothing I ride cycling are just normal clothing you'd wear riding the bus or driving...
Yeah, I wrote bike clothes, but none of mine are bike specific, either.
Old 12-29-22, 08:25 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2578 Post(s)
Liked 1,901 Times in 1,193 Posts
You probably don't want to hear from someone who wears cycling-specific clothing, so just consider this a token ornery/contrary post.

About the only thing I wear out commuting are socks, gloves, and bike shorts. Socks are easy, bike shorts a bit more of a challenge (manufacturers change chamois every blinking year!), and gloves are kinda tough. With few exceptions, glove models change and get new names every year, so when I wear out a pair of winter gloves, I often end up buying 2-3 pairs. That's OK, since the 30-40F gloves that are too thin work well from 40-50F, and the few that are too heavy still work well from 20-30F. It just means I don't have to go shopping the next time the warmer or cooler pair wears out.

Other cycling specific clothing is long wearing. I think I bought my first pair of cycling tights (30-50F) around 2005. Wore them again just last week, though they're starting to show some age.
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 12-29-22, 08:29 AM
Chuck Naill

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 184 Times in 120 Posts
Based on watching European shows, the commuters appear to be wearing whatever they normally would wear to their chosen destinations had they used public transport or an automobile.
Old 12-29-22, 02:15 PM
BobbyG

Originally Posted by Chuck Naill
Based on watching European shows, the commuters appear to be wearing whatever they normally would wear to their chosen destinations had they used public transport or an automobile.
My bike commute is my exercise. I've ridden in street clothes on errands, but then I ride more slowly in order not to get schvitzed up.
Old 12-29-22, 04:03 PM
pdlamb

I think I remember reading that the average European commute was less than two miles. Mine's 10 miles (one way). What works for 10 minutes doesn't work as well for 45 minutes!
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 12-29-22, 04:57 PM
Chuck Naill

Originally Posted by pdlamb
I think I remember reading that the average European commute was less than two miles. Mine's 10 miles (one way). What works for 10 minutes doesn't work as well for 45 minutes!
I don't consider that a commute. I mean, I understand it if you want to ride your bicycle to work but having a place to change and the kind of job where smelling of sweat isn't a big deal must be in place might not be available for most riders.
Old 12-29-22, 04:59 PM
Chuck Naill

Originally Posted by BobbyG
My bike commute is my exercise. I've ridden in street clothes on errands, but then I ride more slowly in order not to get schvitzed up.
Then it is not really a commute? It is exercise. I got the idea that the OP was asking what a commuter, using a bike for transportation, would wear.
Old 12-29-22, 05:05 PM
BobbyG

I'm the OP. I'm not so worried about strict definitions. I know there are plenty of commuters like me who dress for riding and then change into street clothes work.

But now I'm also curious about those who bike commute in their office or street clothes... what is your strategy for the wide range of temperatures... and does different or new clothes or coats lead to being unexpectedly too hot or too cold?
Old 12-29-22, 10:05 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Chuck Naill You have been on this forum for like 15 years, is it really a surprise most respondents in the commuting forum are Americans riding more than 2 miles to get a little more exercise?
Old 12-30-22, 07:57 AM
pdlamb

Then it is not really a commute? It is exercise. I got the idea that the OP was asking what a commuter, using a bike for transportation, would wear.
LOL!

I work with a number of people who drive an hour or more to come in to work. I suppose, using your logic, they're not really commuting? They're just going for a drive.

Or would you prefer the definition of a commute as "a good bike ride with 8 hours of work in the middle"?
Old 12-30-22, 11:28 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
I work with a number of people who drive an hour or more to come in to work. I suppose, using your logic, they're not really commuting? They're just going for a drive.
They’re not in “Europe” though

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 12-30-22 at 11:31 AM.
Old 12-30-22, 03:53 PM
Chuck Naill

LOL!

Or would you prefer the definition of a commute as "a good bike ride with 8 hours of work in the middle"?
Later I realized I was too...

Yes you are commuting, but also, you must have accommodations.

I usually commute naked, the dress at the office.

Last edited by Chuck Naill; 12-30-22 at 04:37 PM.
Old 12-30-22, 08:44 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
Later I realized I was too...

Yes you are commuting, but also, you must have accommodations.

I usually commute naked, the dress at the office.
Sounds comfy if driving. Just make sure the windows are adequately tinted.

Doesn’t sound comfortable if bike riding.

That said, If I’m operating heavy equipment that has a closed cab I’ll drive it barefoot. Just slip into boots if I need to step out and communicate.
Old 12-31-22, 03:06 PM
PaulH

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 61 Posts
I'm the OP. I'm not so worried about strict definitions. I know there are plenty of commuters like me who dress for riding and then change into street clothes work.

But now I'm also curious about those who bike commute in their office or street clothes... what is your strategy for the wide range of temperatures... and does different or new clothes or coats lead to being unexpectedly too hot or too cold?
I'll start with my basic office clothing -- suit and tie. In the summer, it's a short sleeve dress shirt and I roll the coat and put it in a pannier. In much of fall and spring, the standard office clothing is perfect for the outside temperatures. As it gets colder, I add a long Gor-Tex coat and ski glove liners. In the dead of winter, I add light over pants and heavy ski gloves. That's good for single digits Fahrenheit, which is as cold as it ever gets here.

Lots of discussion about wearing exercise clothing versus versus whatever you need to wear at your destination. This debate will never be settled. Whatever floats your boat. I've always regarded the bicycle not as an exercise device, but as an exercise prevention device. I ride with the same effort as I would use when walking. This means about as fast as a jogger. Any higher level of effort feels really unnatural for me. Some people are into sport and fitness, and that's cool too,
Likes For PaulH:
Old 01-02-23, 08:20 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5219 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
+1 ... I'll be doing some rethinking of my layers this winter (not for commuting, just joyrides)

I added a pair of winter pants to my collection
- it will help replace a cpl other items I used to use
-- which will also reduce a # of layers

can't find my wind vest
- so I'll need to factor that into the equation as well
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 01-06-23, 09:58 AM
MNBikeCommuter

Bikes: Cannondale '92 T600 '95 H600 '01 RT1000

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 80 Posts
My current bike clothes are wearing out and I'm worried that replacing the individual articles will throw-off my cool and cold temperature "formulas". Well, I'm not THAT worried, but I was curious if any of you have replaced or upgraded one or more of your layers and had your "formula thrown off.
Yes, and it takes some experimenting to get things dialed back in. And yes, clothing doesn't wear out all that often so at least I'm not dealing with it regularly. I have a little spreadsheet in 10 degree increments from -10F to 60F as I can't remember from season to season what works. And I've learned from experience that emotions can easily take over reality going into winter and I'd always overdress initially without that little spreadsheet. I just looked at it today for 16F for this afternoon's ride and my first reaction was, "I'll freeze!" But, it worked a month ago so it'll work again today.
Likes For MNBikeCommuter:
Old 01-13-23, 07:51 AM
locolobo13 

Bikes: Trek Mtn Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 2,603 Times in 931 Posts

I commute in street clothes. Loose cargo pants, cotton T-shirt typically. This time of year add a long sleeve shirt, sweater and a windbreaker or light jacket. If it's really cold add a thermal undershirt. We rarely get below 40°F.

I have spare clothes in my cubicle. This time of year I change shirts after I get to work. When the sweaty months come I change all my clothes in a supply room. It's inconvenient, but if I didn't commute part way I wouldn't get any miles during the week.

Updating my clothes? Almost everything comes from the big box stores. On sale. Just buy more as things wear out. Don't worry about it. If you're really uncomfortable, figure out the problem and address it.
Likes For locolobo13:
Old 01-22-23, 09:39 AM
jmitchelltfo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I commute 24 miles in my work clothes which consists of 5.11 or Under Armour tactical pants and carry a casual shirt and extra under shirt in my bag. If the temps are above 40, I will just wear a light windbreaker with poly t shirt and below that I will wear a Gore Tex Sitka jacket that breathes very well due to all the venting.

I've bought a couple cycling specific jackets, but neither of them breathe nearly as well as the Sitka.

Once the mornings start getting sticky and warm, I'll think about bringing a full change of clothes and showering once I get to work.
Old 01-22-23, 11:00 AM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 946 Times in 553 Posts
I kept wearing out pants from commuting. carhartts don't last more then a thousand miles now. so I bought some chrome pants for my work pants expensive but so far working well. but they are not good for above 60 or my legs roast.
Old 01-22-23, 04:42 PM
BobbyG

In the last two weeks I swapped a medium weight cotton turtleneck for my "magic" long-sleeve, synthetic Liz Claiborn polo-style top. It wasn't quite as warm when starting out in the cold, and then became a little too hot after I warmed up. Granted it's a completely different material and weave and neck style. But it did show me that its narrower comfort-zone wasn't a disaster.

So I am more confident that when I pick up some replacement clothes I will be fine.

One thing that I will aim for is high-viz colors for all layers, so when I "de-layer" I am still highly visible. "Liz Clayborn" is black, and the long-sleeve cotton-T that I add to that when needed is dark green.

The pants will probably stay black to hide bike schmutz, but maybe not.

I also wear a reflective sash over everything after dark and in low-light situations.

Anyways...I should be fine whatever I do.

I was just curious.
Likes For BobbyG:
Old 01-31-23, 12:22 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 510 Post(s)
Quoted: 7287 Post(s)
Liked 2,365 Times in 1,382 Posts
Yes, when I change the clothes I wear on the bike, the clothes can be cooler or warmer than the clothes they replace. This requires an adjustment to remove or add a layer. No big deal. I have some baselayer pants that are synthetic that seem to work great for a wide range of conditions. I have a wool pair that is generally too warm, so I tend not to use them.

Recently I switched from a short-sleeved wool t-shirt as an undershirt to a long-sleeved wool t-shirt. Here, I don’t really notice a difference, and that surprises me.

I wear a dress shirt and tie over my undershirt. I bet I’m rare among bikeforumers to wear a tie. You might expect it to be uncomfortable, but I don’t notice it. I probably look strange, but I’m comfortable with looking strange.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 01-31-23, 04:45 PM
BobbyG

I ordered a hi-viz long sleeve t-shirt for $8, and a cheap, white long-sleeve with collar to replace "Liz" for $11.
I also saw a high-viz cycling/jogging wind-breaker for $11. The hood zips into the collar which solves a problem I have with my current non-cycling-specific windbreaker. I tuck the hood inside the neckline, but it manages to come out sometimes. The new outer shell also has quick unzip arms and I think zippable vents as well. I wasn't really looking to replace, my current shell, but for $11, I pulled the trigger.

I'll update after everything arrives and I can evaluate it all, but I don't really expect any big issues.

Now that my commute is 6 miles, vs 9 miles, I feel like investigating ride-and-wear office-appropriate clothes. But since I include exercise and cardio in my commute, that may be impractical.
Old 02-08-23, 11:23 PM
ErinKeegan

Bikes: Triban RC120 Disc

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 3 Posts
I usually ride my bike in a T-shirt and leggings and I purchased Asics , it's running shoes that's why they're very flexible and comfortable to use.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.