Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

When did Cromovelato become a thing?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

When did Cromovelato become a thing?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-23, 02:23 PM
Erzulis Boat 
Le Crocodile

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 369 Post(s)
Liked 783 Times in 311 Posts
Originally Posted by unworthy1
House of Kolor still sells their line of Kandy Kolor including 2-pack (2K) polyurethane paints.
I never sprayed any over chrome plating but...with ANY 2K paint do yourself the favor of using proper protective gear!

My guess is all urethane paint will be more durable than any lacquer, but as for adhesion? Dunno.

There are also transparent powder coats available, also have no person experience with any over chrome. If you think that could be both more durable as well as better adhering to chrome, find a local PC shop that can show you some examples.
If anybody here has used PC to make a "cromovelato" effect, please let us know your results

Clear powdercoat over raw steel on a BMX bike in the collection. Yikes, I just realized that I have a lot of bikes.
Likes For Erzulis Boat:
Old 02-13-23, 02:32 PM
Mr. Spadoni 

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Liked 404 Times in 217 Posts
When did a thing becoming a thing become a thing?
Old 02-13-23, 02:47 PM
fabiofarelli

Bikes: Especialy Alan, but also Empella, Cascarsi, Gazelle, Bianchi, CJV, Sirocco, Berkers etcetera

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 997 Times in 355 Posts
I remember several cromovelato iracing bikes in the mid sixties. In the Netherlands. Often J.Anquetil.
Old 02-13-23, 02:51 PM
fabiofarelli

Bikes: Especialy Alan, but also Empella, Cascarsi, Gazelle, Bianchi, CJV, Sirocco, Berkers etcetera

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 997 Times in 355 Posts
I remember several cromovelato racing bikes in the mid sixties. In the Netherlands. Often J.Anquetil.
Old 02-13-23, 03:15 PM
Lattz

Bikes: 80s Alan Super Record, 79' Somec Special, 90s Rossin(?) Columbus Ego Triathlon, previously: Bianchi SBX Reparto Corse (stolen) and so on...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 812 Times in 602 Posts
Cromovelato is definitely magic. But like with many things when its nice it's really nice, and when it's not it's really not.
Solid or metallic paints, including even the sibling flamboyant cheaper-velato are aging gradually with a nice patina. CV not.
It is going from Wow to "what a pity" with the first flake. No Dust or matte clear coat to hide or at lest soften up scars to give it an "it is still nice if not nicer" feeling.
And if you have a high end frame, the "it is original once" problem multiplies as well. Smaller damages are a pain to the eye, but thinking about a respray is also a PIA. I was struggling with this on my Bianchi and while it was not CV, but was flaking like it was, exposing a bright chrome underneath, which magnified all problems.
Here are two examples from SOMEC:
ETOE is bada55, but I also like this (and the others, not to mention the bikes!!!) ittle explainer:

While this does not look "that bad", if it was a daily rider it would be a matter of weeks to get rid of the rest at this stage.

In an interview Mario Maritini explained, that since SOMEC gave him almost free hands on how to paint the frames, they sent everything properly chromed, so he had to matte up the frame for painting.

Last edited by Lattz; 02-13-23 at 03:19 PM.
Likes For Lattz:
Old 02-14-23, 08:43 AM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1635 Post(s)
Liked 824 Times in 533 Posts
Wasn't the AD Vent Noir also a Chromovelato bike?Through the years I heard prople describe the finsh on them as "Black Chrome", but I suspected it was just a paint tint over chrome = Chromovelato.....
84 Peugeot PY10FC
84 Gitane Tour de France.
85 Vitus Plus Carbone 7
86 ALAN Record Carbonio
86 Medici Aerodynamic (Project)
88 Pinarello Montello
89 Bottecchia Professional Chorus SL
95 Trek 5500 OCLV (Project)
Old 02-14-23, 10:15 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1135 Post(s)
Liked 1,727 Times in 951 Posts
Originally Posted by Chombi1
Wasn't the AD Vent Noir also a Chromovelato bike?Through the years I heard prople describe the finsh on them as "Black Chrome", but I suspected it was just a paint tint over chrome = Chromovelato.....
Yes some Vent Noir were chromovelato.

I think some of the Schwinn High Sierra are also.
Old 02-14-23, 11:57 AM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1440 Post(s)
Liked 1,058 Times in 783 Posts
there were two iterations of A-D Vent Noir, one had normal "satin" black paint but on those that had the "black tinted chrome plating" most called "smoked chrome" I'm not sure how many were given a tinted transparent topcoat (which would be "cromovelato" but maybe there's a German term?) and how many did actually have coloring added to the chrome (if any).
I certainly have not seen them all.

Scuttlebutt also had it that A-D/Puch/Steyer used what is called "hard chrome" which is the type used for such plated pieces as motorcycle fork tubes.
Does "scuttlebutt" know?
Old 02-14-23, 08:45 PM
Writenride 
Malcontent

Bikes: I honestly don't know...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 46 Posts
Look, I don't care what anyone says; Cromovelato is sexy!
Likes For Writenride:
Old 02-14-23, 08:59 PM
Lattz

Bikes: 80s Alan Super Record, 79' Somec Special, 90s Rossin(?) Columbus Ego Triathlon, previously: Bianchi SBX Reparto Corse (stolen) and so on...

There was also Pnarello Montello, where they called it chromonero, implying, that the chrome plating itself is black, although I think its a smoked chromovelato, not long ago someone popped up here with one, but since his was not flaking (yet), it cant be confirmed what it is.
Besed on these photos, it looks more like a lacquer than a pure dark chrome..... anyhow,,, BADA55....

But if I could get and afford a "strictly wall hanger only" bike, a red would do as well...
Old 02-14-23, 09:02 PM
Lattz

Originally Posted by Mr. 66
Yes some Vent Noir were chromovelato.

I think some of the Schwinn High Sierra are also.

Aaaand PUCH Mistral Vent Noir
Old 02-14-23, 11:19 PM
BMC_Kid 

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 155 Posts
Originally Posted by Lattz
There was also Pnarello Montello, where they called it chromonero, implying, that the chrome plating itself is black, although I think its a smoked chromovelato, not long ago someone popped up here with one, but since his was not flaking (yet), it cant be confirmed what it is.]
I can confirm that Pinarello's Cromonero color is a true cromovelato; a tinted clear lacquer finish over bright silver chromed tubing. After 30+ years, the color has faded to more of a dark grey color when under bright light.

Here’s mine out in the bright sun.

and inside

Edit: By the way, the Montello handles beautifully. Nice steel frame that is so stable and tracks like it is on rails. I put a set of 28mm tires on it to give it a little more plushness but after riding it for a few weeks now, I think I will take them off and put on a set of 25mm Conti GP5000s and those Pirelli tires on something else. That should give a bit more aggressiveness while still being able to provide the cushiness I was looking for. Looking forward to putting some miles on it this spring.

Last edited by BMC_Kid; 02-15-23 at 09:17 AM.
Likes For BMC_Kid:
Old 02-15-23, 12:25 PM
Robvolz 

Bikes: several Eddy Merz (ride like Eddy, braze like Jim!)

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,803 Times in 655 Posts
wow, and on the seat post too
Old 02-15-23, 02:01 PM
BMC_Kid 

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 155 Posts
Originally Posted by Robvolz
wow, and on the seat post too
Matching stem as well, both on the rare side. I believe the matching stem and seat post were only available in the Cromovelato Cromonero finish.
Old 02-15-23, 02:21 PM
Lattz

Originally Posted by BMC_Kid
Matching stem as well, both on the rare side. I believe the matching stem and seat post were only available in the Cromovelato Cromonero finish.
It is a marvellous bike, congrats! Both setups are cool.
Old 02-16-23, 09:11 AM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 350 Posts
Originally Posted by steelbikeguy
Just for the sake of enjoying some of the cromovelato joy, here's a 1981 Raleigh Superbe that Mr. Bingham displayed at the 2016 Classic Rendezvous event. Note that this Superbe is named for the SunTour Superbe components, and is very much unlike the earlier Superbe roadster.

Can you imagine how good it would look in sunlight?!

Steve in Peoria
Spring of 1980 I purchased a Superbe frame from a local bike shop. A customer had ordered it for the parts group and I, having just crashed an old Raleigh Competition, bought the frame and built it up with my Campy NR components. The bike gathered many looks and comments..."Is that gold plated"?...

The finish was durable for the first couple years I owned it but by 1984 it was looking a little worn. No paint chipping, but the finish was wearing thin on the sides of the top tube and along the fork blades. Perhaps the wear was accelerated by road salt as I commuted on the bike one Chicago winter. By 1984 the bike looked a little shabby. Decided to take some lacquer thinner to it and remove the gold. Very quickly I had a chrome frame that was in excellent condition. Even around the bottom bracket the chrome was fully polished.

As to when chromovelta became popular I was looking at a frame on German ebay a few years ago... a Rabenieck from 1958. The finish was black, yellow and red chromovelta...german national colors. It was all chipped up with a lot of chrome showing thru but still a looker. Price was a little crazy and shipping was a no go.

As for my Superbe I held onto it for almost 30 years. Sold it around 2010 for the price I paid originally...$200.
Likes For big chainring:
Old 03-26-23, 05:41 PM
curiousabe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 28 Posts
If you wanted to achive similair results on a stainless steel frame would the process be the same?
Old 03-26-23, 10:37 PM
Ktodd
Banned.

Bikes: PXN-10LE, Bridestone RB1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
One Hit Wonder Paints

Originally Posted by rancho66
Just watched that ETOE video. He has all the items to get it done. Not too difficult, but getting the proper cromoveloto primer, tint, and hardeners could be costly. I have one of those gold Raleigh Superbe frames that could use a new gold coat. Needs decals too so definitely not something I will ever get around to.

I was looking at a chrome tandem Univega on Ebay back when I first posted on this thread (way over priced) and was considering attempting a cromovelato paint job on it but I lost interest in the bike. I haven't tried it but "One Hit Wonder Paints" sells lacquers they market as "intercoats". Basically transparent tinted paint used as a middle coat in-between base coat and clear coat. Supposed to enhance metallic lacquer base paints. I don't know if this would work as a base paint for chrome... what is intriguing about the possible usd of OHWP is that it supposed to NOT need primer to adhere to so I'm guessing it's self etching somehow? So I don't know if this would work in making a cromovelato look over actual chrome but this does have the same effect over lacquer paint. Worth looking into more and maybe giving it a go.
Old 03-28-23, 05:05 AM
rancho66 
Rancho66

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 11 Posts
I checked out the One Hit Wonder Paints site. Interesting products for sure. Unfortunately, the Intercoat paint requires a "scuffing" of the substrate/base, Like most/all paints. I hesitate in scuffing good chrome as it cannot be "unscuffed." The price for the intercoat paint is reasonable though!
Old 03-28-23, 07:25 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1854 Post(s)
Liked 661 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by juvela
-----

it goes back at least to the 1950's - would expect significantly further - when seen on marques such as Ideor

some of the cycles shown in thread thus far have flambouyant finishes rather than chromovelato

in flambouyants a metallic base coat goes down on top of the primer and before the colour

the most common colour for the base coat is silver but copper and gold are also sometimes employed

another name for what is termed chromovelato in the past was chrom-o-lux

would think that our iab would be able to tell us how far back goes the finish...

some of the flashiest of the modern era are done by Wilier Tristina

-----
I totally agree it went back into the '50's. I think my 1952 Rudge Aero Special has a flambuoyant finish, though I don't recall it having been called-out in the factory and advertising literature preserved by Peter Kohler in his "on-the-drops.blogspot" blog.

This bike was a Nottingham product, built on the same line with the same parts list as the Raleigh Super Lenton. It that year they were the top models in the spirit of the "Club"-style of product. The next year they opened up again to take orders for custom Raleigh Record Aces. So if I'm correct that it has the flambuoyant finish, it was top of the line so it should have had the fanciest paint job!

In perusing the Kohler collection, I didn't see if such finishes were used in previous model years, and he informs us of products reaching back into the 1920s, including drop-bar bikes. The coal-furnace black finishes were greatly in-evidence.

I wonder how many Brits of the day lost their black bikes, misplacing it in the basement?

Rudge Aero Special more or less as received.

Headbadge is a winner!

Real live Reynolds!
Likes For Road Fan:
Old 03-28-23, 01:45 PM
Ktodd
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Painting next week

I checked out the One Hit Wonder Paints site. Interesting products for sure. Unfortunately, the Intercoat paint requires a "scuffing" of the substrate/base, Like most/all paints. I hesitate in scuffing good chrome as it cannot be "unscuffed." The price for the intercoat paint is reasonable though!

I just bought their metallic lime green and brite blue base coats. I'll start spraying some frames in the next couple-few weeks when the weather warms up just a little. I live in an apt. but bought an inflatable paint booth made for motorcycles off Amazon and an air compressor and buncha air paint equipment from Harbor Freight ...also some airbrush equipment for detail work. I've done some small airbrushing before but this will be my first attempt at bike frames. I have 2 Peugeot Super Comps. 4 varying trek frames from the 80's, 1 Olmo, 1 CBT, 1 Chesini, 1 Bianchi, 2 Bridgstone RB1s, 1 RB2, 2 klein Quantums, 1 klein Stage and a few others.

My only issue right now is sourcing good quality Decals/Water Slides since Velocals went out of business.
Old 03-28-23, 01:57 PM
Ktodd
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Yeah, I was going to find an old car bumber or something else chromed to practice on first. I forget what the instructional videos say what grit sandpaper to use to "scuff" with.

I think you could get a somewhat similar effect with just using a metallic silver base coat or even chrome paint maybe (but most of those suck) and OHWP intercoat. Of course not as good as an actual Cromovelato but kinda similar.
Old 03-28-23, 02:17 PM
Lattz

Originally Posted by Ktodd
Yeah, I was going to find an old car bumber or something else chromed to practice on first. I forget what the instructional videos say what grit sandpaper to use to "scuff" with.

I think you could get a somewhat similar effect with just using a metallic silver base coat or even chrome paint maybe (but most of those suck) and OHWP intercoat. Of course not as good as an actual Cromovelato but kinda similar.
The metallic silver base is a different art called "flamboyant", which is also nice, especially if you ditch plain silver paints and get yourself something really shiny. If you know e.g. Gretsch guitars you know what I mean. Bitd they were made with metallic powder of flakes. Forget scuffing the base chrome, the colored clear will emphasize every glitch, actually that's what made cromovelato the option for the higher end bikes or higher class painters. With any regular paintjob scuffing is your friend, so is base coat, which covers errors. But with cromovelato, all the tiny details must be mirror polished, which is a lot easier in a bike factory with 9 tubes than at home with an assembled frame.

Last edited by Lattz; 03-28-23 at 02:20 PM.
Old 03-28-23, 02:23 PM
Lattz

Originally Posted by curiousabe
If you wanted to achive similair results on a stainless steel frame would the process be the same?
I guess since that can be mirror polished and is shiny already, it could be sprayed directly with the tinted clear, but there are plenty of good advises against clearing raw metal, no matter if stainless or not.
In industrial circumstances, they can make it happen but at home, it is hard to avoid to lock in humidity or dust.
Old 03-28-23, 02:35 PM
Kilroy1988 

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 1,844 Times in 609 Posts
I've never seen anything to suggest that typical Nottingham-built Raleigh production bicycles in the early-'50s had with lacquer over chrome 'flamboyant" finishes (the common term for the style used in Britain at the time), but companies making custom frames such as Claud Butler, Carlton and Hetchins were certainly offering them. As early as 1947 the Raleigh Record Ace was offered with a range of finish options including "polychromatic," which may have been the same idea. However, after years of looking at them I've never seen an example of a Record Ace or an R.R.A. Moderne which had anything that appeared like a flamboyant lacquer over chrome finish.

The 1950 Carlton Continental I owned is an example with a catalogue-specified flamboyant paint scheme which is very distinctive from enamels. I'll also post an example of a beautiful 1951 Hetchins Magnum Opus which can be seen in greater detail here:

Hetchins MO full chrome 1951

Cheers!

-Gregory

Last edited by Kilroy1988; 03-28-23 at 03:01 PM.
Likes For Kilroy1988:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.