Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Schwalbe Marathon Supreme..poof..gone

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-23, 12:17 PM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 810 Times in 471 Posts

I was looking around for the 700x40 Marathon Supreme and everyone I checked (beyond domestic suppliers at $75 each) longer carries them. The more I looked, the harder Supremes in general were hard to find. I'm looking specifically at vendors in EU that had good prices on them(half of domestic). Looking at the Schwalbe website, they are all but tapped out too. I started by sending emails to various EU vendors asking about supply and they replied they no longer carry them. I finally sent an inquiry to Schwalbe and received the following reply:

Thanks for your e-mail. Marathon Supreme is being discontinued with its direct replacement being the Marathon Efficiency which you can check out in the link below. It’s based off the same casing and protection belt, has a smooth center line but is a bit more versatile with it’s cornering tread texture. We make it in the 700x38c (40-622) but we do not offer it in 26” anymore.

https://www.schwalbetires.com/Marathon-Efficiency-11654366

Not sure the Efficiency is a drop in replacement for the Supreme(a little heavier, though they seem to be very conscious of preserving superior rolling resistance)..I suspect the Supreme is a causality of the e-bike market, to some extent. Very sad turn of events.

The good news, for me at least, is I was able to stock up on 2 sets of 26x2 last fall and 4 sets of 700x35 just before the end of the year when they seemed to be getting harder to find. Why so many?..it's my favorite road tire and I have arguably too many bikes(between my GF and myself) to mount them on.

I know some folks here are partial to Supremes...
Old 02-21-23, 02:42 PM
gauvins

Bikes: Custom built LHT & Troll

Quoted: 845 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 106 Posts
Interesting and dispiriting... I mean, yes, the Supremes (the tires, not the band) were my favorite (right after the Almotion, now discontinued). I assume that if I were new to touring I wouldn't miss them at all -- there are plenty of options that are probably just as good (although the Almotion is (was) still in a league of its own..

Oh well...
Old 02-21-23, 03:55 PM
sapporoguy

Bikes: 2000 Santana Sovereign SE; 2005 Co-Motion Speedster; Kona Kilauea with various dorky commuter accoutrements; Mercier Kilo TT fixie; Burley Fladbed trailer for groceries, bags of cement and the like.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by gauvins
Interesting and dispiriting... I mean, yes, the Supremes (the tires, not the band) were my favorite (right after the Almotion, now discontinued)...
i, too, mourned the demise of Supremes, which we rode cross-country on the tandem in 2021. We switched to Almotions, which are still alive in tube and tubeless models, although maybe a new version. We rode tubeless Almotions cross-country last fall.
Old 02-21-23, 05:45 PM
irc

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Pacer, Spa Steel Tourer, Kona Kula

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 27 Posts
I'm going with an Almotion on the front for my next tour. I have put a Conti Contact Urban on the back.

https://www.bicyclerollingresistance...n-supreme-2016

Both tyres look to have similar performance to the Supreme. Time will tell. The slight tread on the Almotion may be useful occasionally compared to the slick Supremes.
Old 02-22-23, 09:20 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
looks like you can get some here, but not 40s
https://www.biketiresdirect.com/prod...yABEgIo2fD_BwE

OP is in Wisconsin, but wants to get them from Europe? not sure I understand the desire to buy from the EU
Old 02-22-23, 10:09 AM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
looks like you can get some here, but not 40s
https://www.biketiresdirect.com/prod...yABEgIo2fD_BwE
The link points to a Schwalbe "Marathon". There's 1-2 dozen "Marathon" tires, of which the Supreme is one. The tire linked (HS420) has little in common with the Supreme.

OP is in Wisconsin, but wants to get them from Europe? not sure I understand the desire to buy from the EU
Find a premium model of Schwalbe tire and search globally for suppliers.
Likes For fishboat:
Old 02-22-23, 10:18 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
Originally Posted by fishboat
The link points to a Schwalbe "Marathon". There's 1-2 dozen "Marathon" tires, of which the Supreme is one. The tire linked (HS420) has little in common with the Supreme
oh whoops, my bad, sorry
Old 02-22-23, 10:34 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1789 Post(s)
Liked 1,629 Times in 933 Posts
Because EU does not allow MSRP/MAP restrictions typically put in place by brands to artificially inflate brand value. The cost of a good or service tends to reflect actual market pressures. Since a market is defined by the ease of which a good or service can be transported, there isn't really much distinction between "EU" & North American" marketplaces anymore.

In short, often it's cheaper to buy from EU, pay actual market derived price + import duties + shipping than it is to buy at artificially inflated domestic prices + shipping.

A lot of brands place dealer restrictions to prevent shipping out of dealer area to circumvent this. Some dealers are more compliant than others depending on enforcement efforts. (IOW: Good luck capitalizing on Shimano EU routinely undercutting Shimano USA for that $500+ savings on the latest group-set.)

Edit for illustrative example: Shimano 8170 shifters & brakes are €349 ($369) each left/right at SJS vs $537 each at Universal Cycles...The American price for a set is artificially inflated by $336

Last edited by base2; 02-22-23 at 11:49 AM.
Likes For base2:
Old 02-22-23, 11:46 AM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 948 Times in 555 Posts
I have one new one I could sell if shipping does not kill it.
Old 02-22-23, 12:12 PM
MarcusT

Quoted: 766 Post(s)
Liked 616 Times in 344 Posts
I would not want Supremes if they've been discontinued. It could mean finding some might be old stock leading to hard rubber and less traction. There are so many Marathon versions, I'm sure a fitting substitute can be found
Old 02-22-23, 03:11 PM
fishboat

The Supreme was a pretty good seller. Given the last 2-3 years in the bike industry, I'd be really surprised if there was any old dusty stock laying around after a two year global stock-out of any bicycle component that is remotely popular. The one supplier I usually order from has been out of Supremes for 6 months. I was hoping the stock-out was a hangover from the recent bike boom and they'd catch up in inventory. When they didn't seem to be coming back I finally sent emails to vendors and eventually to Schwalbe..only to find out they are already gone.

My read on Schwalbe's response is that the new Efficiency is basically a Supreme with new tread..which probably addresses a weakness in the Supreme...would make sense. It doesn't serve their purpose to eliminate a great seller and not replace it with a new and improved model that fits the same slot in their lineup.
Likes For fishboat:
Old 02-22-23, 11:14 PM
MarcusT

Quoted: 766 Post(s)
Liked 616 Times in 344 Posts
My read on Schwalbe's response is that the new Efficiency is basically a Supreme with new tread..which probably addresses a weakness in the Supreme...would make sense. It doesn't serve their purpose to eliminate a great seller and not replace it with a new and improved model that fits the same slot in their lineup.
It is an odd looking tread. I'm sure people much smarter than me designed it and know it's an improvement
It's a shame they don't offer it in a 42-47 width, maybe in the future
Old 02-23-23, 06:29 AM
Tandem Tom

Bikes: 1992 Serotta Colorado II,Co-Motion Speedster, Giant Escape Hybrid, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 85 Posts
You might check Star Bike in Germany. That is where we have bought all our tires.
Old 02-23-23, 08:42 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2738 Post(s)
Liked 970 Times in 793 Posts
I would tend to agree that it must be at least as good as the supreme.
I would also think that it is taking advantage of the whole gravel bike interest, so for a lot of riders that mostly ride on pavement, but sometimes go on trails etc, the weird looking side tread thing will make them feel better about cornering on gravel, but still have a really quiet center slick part.

interesting that it is not available in 26 inch (not a real surprise really)
but in 27.5 only a 55 and 60mm
and in 28/622 there is a 38, 50 and 55mm

oh well, don't have a 27.5 bike so cant even try it out, and at this moment, dont have an urge to try the 38s on my 700 bike, I like using lighter slicks on that bike, even though it can easily take up to 40 something mm tires, more in front, probably a 45.
Old 02-23-23, 12:16 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1663 Post(s)
Liked 1,817 Times in 1,057 Posts
FWIW Bicycle Rolling Resistance

https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/

sez the Efficiency does have lower rolling resistance, but less puncture resistance and was ultimately not as highly rated.
Old 02-23-23, 12:19 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1663 Post(s)
Liked 1,817 Times in 1,057 Posts
Originally Posted by base2
In short, often it's cheaper to buy from EU, pay actual market derived price + import duties + shipping than it is to buy at artificially inflated domestic prices + shipping.
My understanding is that US residents do not pay import duties for item dollar values under $800.
Old 02-23-23, 01:03 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
I think they missed the sweet spot on sizing, which should be 700x45. 🙁

I'd sure like to see someone make a super tough tire, that lasts a few years worth of serious touring. I'd pay more (within reason), for a little more peace of mind. Going to a less endurable tire, is going the wrong way. 👎
Old 02-23-23, 02:08 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
The Efficiency tread is pretty goofy. Definitely someone in the design department getting a leg up on the engineers. Not that side knobs are bad. But if you can imagine them having a behavior that alternates, rather than having a rough frequency, then the knobs are too spread out. But how often is that going to apply? For going in a straight line it looks like nothing objectionable.

The video on the product page is Very Dramatic!
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 02-23-23, 04:28 PM
fooferdoggie 

Originally Posted by tcs
FWIW Bicycle Rolling Resistance

https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/

sez the Efficiency does have lower rolling resistance, but less puncture resistance and was ultimately not as highly rated.
ya we would get more flats on them then the regular marathons.
Old 02-23-23, 04:54 PM
robow

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 194 Posts
Originally Posted by MarcusT
It is an odd looking tread. I'm sure people much smarter than me designed it and know it's an improvement
djb: I would tend to agree that it must be at least as good as the supreme.

Remember, we are talking about the cycling industry here so there's no guarantee it's better, only that it's "new" and marketed as such.
Old 02-23-23, 05:42 PM
IPassGas

Bikes: Schwinn, Nishiki, Santana, Trek, Rodriguez

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
The loss of variety in good quality 26" touring tires has been an ongoing observation, so I bought many and store in a cool place in plastic. I might have a 12 year supply, which will get me through my days. However, the bike market is always changing to attract a new buyer. Perhaps in 10 years 26" will be all the rage.... or maybe touring will come back in vogue.
Old 02-23-23, 06:35 PM
djb

Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
The Efficiency tread is pretty goofy. Definitely someone in the design department getting a leg up on the engineers. Not that side knobs are bad. But if you can imagine them having a behavior that alternates, rather than having a rough frequency, then the knobs are too spread out. But how often is that going to apply? For going in a straight line it looks like nothing objectionable.

The video on the product page is Very Dramatic!
didnt find dramatic video,
but re the very slight side "knobs"--with this other inexpensive schwalbe model, the Hurricane, the larger side knobs are what appealed to me for riding on softer gravel roads where these larger side knobs really do help when you sink into soft stuff. I've only ridden a bit on them, but I can say that they work well on these types of surfaces. I ride in snow all the time and am very used to squirming and pushing the front and all that, but these Hurricanes worked really well with weight on the bike and on a bunch of varying gravel surfaces, and I'd be a lot more comfortable on them than the Efficiency on much more loose dirt and gravel stuff.

Probably not as fast, no--not as fast, and probably not as puncture resistent, but close enough for me, and at 30 bucks each, a good option and avail in 26.

heck, there are all kinds of cool gravelly-ish tires out there, some expensive as heck, but for a joe-blow like me, something like this Hurricane can work ok, and at 54mm and 620g, not too shabby. The Efficiency 27.5 - 55mm is 795g, sure a better tire, but wont be as good on loose stuff, but faster on smoother surfaces.
How much faster, who knows. I'll never know cuz I cant try them out....

Last edited by djb; 02-23-23 at 06:40 PM.
Likes For djb:
Old 02-23-23, 06:52 PM
djb

Originally Posted by fooferdoggie
ya we would get more flats on them then the regular marathons.
not necessarily, the regular marathon and this Efficiency and the Supreme all have very close protection ratings by schwalbe (they fudge the graphs a bit, so not exactly the same comparison) so as a long time supreme user, as well as regular marathon user (greenguard jobs) I'm sure these Efficiencys would be really good also for flats.
Old 02-23-23, 07:29 PM
fooferdoggie 

Originally Posted by djb
not necessarily, the regular marathon and this Efficiency and the Supreme all have very close protection ratings by schwalbe (they fudge the graphs a bit, so not exactly the same comparison) so as a long time supreme user, as well as regular marathon user (greenguard jobs) I'm sure these Efficiencys would be really good also for flats.
I have the marathon e bike ones so maybe they are different. but the harsh ride from them compared to the supreme was noticeable. plus we lost a fair amount of acceleration with the marathons.
Old 02-23-23, 08:05 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
That Hurricane doesn't look too bad at all. I wonder if they come in 700x45? 🤔

I have plenty of time to look it up better. Probably next month I'll be tire shoppin'. 😎
​​​​​​
Meant to say, I've been riding around San Francisco for awhile now, and there are plenty of small sand dunes in the roads, after a good wind. Especially around the North Beach. These would certainly help with that. 👍

Last edited by stardognine; 02-23-23 at 08:10 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.