Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Chain crunch feel-hear after cleaning

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Chain crunch feel-hear after cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-23, 12:58 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
I will say, though, that comparing motorcycle chains on this basis is a bit silly.
In my understanding, motorcycle chains handle the higher loads for longer times because they have seals inside to keep the oil in and the water out. https://www.tvsmotor.com/media/blog/...orcycle-chains
Old 03-06-23, 01:35 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Take the free oxygen out of the water and they suffocate.

To "breathe" water they would need to do some kind of natural electrolysis ans break down water into oxygen and hydrogen.
We breathe air.

Take the free oxygen out of the air and we suffocate. You're making a distinction without a difference. Air without oxygen would still be air, fromn our perspective it just wouldn't be breathable air. Water without dissolved oxygen would still be water, from the perspective of a fish, it just wouldn't be breathable water.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 03-06-23, 01:39 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by Maelochs
In my understanding, motorcycle chains handle the higher loads for longer times because they have seals inside to keep the oil in and the water out. https://www.tvsmotor.com/media/blog/...orcycle-chains

Yes, they are structurally quite different from bicycle chains. They're also built much stronger, bigger, and heavier. Hence, citing one particular factor as being key to bicycle chains not lasting as long is a fool's errand.
Old 03-06-23, 03:28 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Are you trying to say that grit isn’t a problem?
In the grand scheme of things, it really isn't. And you know why? Because no matter what you use, your chain will get dirty. Re-lubing the chain with an oil based lube will itself flush any excess grunge. Lube each link every 500 miles and wipe. Chain comes fairly clean. If I can get 8-10K miles doing that, then tell me. How many extra miles will you get with all these heroic chain cleaning rituals people here seem to be obcessed with? It's a freaken chain, not The Crown Jewels.

Last edited by Lombard; 03-06-23 at 03:44 PM.
Likes For Lombard:
Old 03-06-23, 03:40 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

We put out 1/5 to 1/4 horsepower and our chains last around 3000 miles.
If you're only getting 3000 miles out of your chains, you're doing something terribly wrong. Maybe these solvent based wax lubes you like so much aren't that good?

Yea, grit is a problem.

Additionally, most people are going to be bothered by the grit grinding then by pearl rattling.
IDK, I have never heard this "grit grinding" you speak of. I do know that "pearl rattling" is not a sound I want to hear while I'm riding.
Old 03-06-23, 04:13 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3498 Post(s)
Liked 2,911 Times in 1,766 Posts
I don’t think grit is making the sound when the OP twists his chain. I think it’s the smacking, sticking sound of the lube itself as it gets worked by the motion.
Old 03-06-23, 05:23 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
A chain is the most disposable part of the bike so it's pointless to invest any time and money into trying to extend it's life... I ride all year round, during winter our roads are a mess of salt, sand. de-icing chemicals and all types of crap. Impossible to keep the chain clean. It's pointless to remove the chain for cleaning because all it takes is one ride and your chain will be all messed up and dirty. All I do is just wipe the chain down with a rag soaked with rubbing alcohol or solvent and lube it with a DIY chain lube which is a mixture of motor oil and WD40.. If you're riding in bad conditions there is no magic lube out there which will extend the life of your chain.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 03-06-23, 06:16 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Originally Posted by wolfchild
A chain is the most disposable part of the bike so it's pointless to invest any time and money into trying to extend it's life... I ride all year round, during winter our roads are a mess of salt, sand. de-icing chemicals and all types of crap. Impossible to keep the chain clean. It's pointless to remove the chain for cleaning because all it takes is one ride and your chain will be all messed up and dirty. All I do is just wipe the chain down with a rag soaked with rubbing alcohol or solvent and lube it with a DIY chain lube which is a mixture of motor oil and WD40.. If you're riding in bad conditions there is no magic lube out there which will extend the life of your chain.
You mean you haven't discovered that magic space age lube with unicorn dust that can make your chain last for 50,000,000 miles?
Old 03-06-23, 08:38 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

What's with your poop fixation? It's really creepy.
He's probably regressing to the anal stage - the time period around 1-2 years of age where little kids are fascinated with crap.
Old 03-06-23, 11:26 PM
elcruxio

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 223 Posts
Originally Posted by Lombard
In the grand scheme of things, it really isn't. And you know why? Because no matter what you use, your chain will get dirty. Re-lubing the chain with an oil based lube will itself flush any excess grunge. Lube each link every 500 miles and wipe. Chain comes fairly clean. If I can get 8-10K miles doing that, then tell me. How many extra miles will you get with all these heroic chain cleaning rituals people here seem to be obcessed with? It's a freaken chain, not The Crown Jewels.
Well, I haven't had to buy any new chains or drivetrains for our bikes in over a year. And I haven't had to clean or relube a chain in three weeks now.

Last winter our family went through three drivetrains (granted, they were used by the time but not that used). My touring bike, wife's touring bike and wife's road bike. None of them indicated worn chains but the drivetrains were still shot. Wouldn't mate with new chains.

My lubing interval during the worst period of the salt slush season was from every two to three days to once a week. For five bikes. And yet I wasn't able to keep the rusting or squeaking in check. Salt water just washes even the wettest lube right orf. And you can imagine what a drivetrain looks like with lubing intervals like that.

Nowadays I swap a chain for a fresh one every two to three to four weeks and do a rewax of all used chains every two months or so. And no black gunk.

So for me it really isn't obsessing about chains. It's about saving time and effort and just riding bikes rather than maintaining them.
Old 03-07-23, 07:32 AM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Originally Posted by elcruxio
Well, I haven't had to buy any new chains or drivetrains for our bikes in over a year. And I haven't had to clean or relube a chain in three weeks now.

Last winter our family went through three drivetrains (granted, they were used by the time but not that used). My touring bike, wife's touring bike and wife's road bike. None of them indicated worn chains but the drivetrains were still shot. Wouldn't mate with new chains.

My lubing interval during the worst period of the salt slush season was from every two to three days to once a week. For five bikes. And yet I wasn't able to keep the rusting or squeaking in check. Salt water just washes even the wettest lube right orf. And you can imagine what a drivetrain looks like with lubing intervals like that.

Nowadays I swap a chain for a fresh one every two to three to four weeks and do a rewax of all used chains every two months or so. And no black gunk.

So for me it really isn't obsessing about chains. It's about saving time and effort and just riding bikes rather than maintaining them.
Salt and slush would definitely present a special challenge. I'm glad you found something that works for those conditions.
Old 03-07-23, 07:54 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by wolfchild
Originally Posted by elcruxio

You're both describing completely different approaches to the same problem. I don't think either of you are wrong, you just have different preferences as to how you want to do the maintenance.

I think salt is also a completely different factor than sand, so winter biking is a special use case.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 03-07-23, 06:40 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6201 Post(s)
Liked 4,204 Times in 2,358 Posts
In the grand scheme of things, it really isn't. And you know why? Because no matter what you use, your chain will get dirty. Re-lubing the chain with an oil based lube will itself flush any excess grunge. Lube each link every 500 miles and wipe. Chain comes fairly clean. If I can get 8-10K miles doing that, then tell me.
Grit sticks to the oil. More importantly, the small grit that sticks to the chain gets pumped into the chain since the oil is a liquid that flows into and out of the chain constantly. Relubing the chain just flushes the grit from the outside to the inside. Wiping the chain pushes the small grit that does the damage to the chain into the gaps of the chain where the oil pumps it right into the internals of the chain where it grids away.

Grit gets deposited on the outside of a wax chain but it doesn’t stick to the wax. External wax sloughs off taking the smaller amount of grit with it. It doesn’t get pumped into the chain because the wax doesn’t flow. Adding new solvent wax to the chain carries a small amount of grit with it but not that much and, because the wax doesn’t move, the grit is far less of a wear problem. But, as I detail below, there is a different wear mechanism for wax which leads to about the same wear interval.

If you're only getting 3000 miles out of your chains, you're doing something terribly wrong. Maybe these solvent based wax lubes you like so much aren't that good?
Frankly, I don’t believe your 8000 km claim. 3000 miles is just a rough estimate. It’s a range of 3000 to 4000 miles and isn’t that much less than 8000km. It’s just a whole lot cleaner.

​​​​​​IDK, I have never heard this "grit grinding" you speak of. I do know that "pearl rattling" is not a sound I want to hear while I'm riding.
I’ve heard it and felt it. Depends on where you ride. I used oil on mountain bikes…Phil’s Tenacious oil, to be exact…for many years and am well aware of the “crunchy” problem elcyc is talking about.

​​​​​​How many extra miles will you get with all these heroic chain cleaning rituals people here seem to be obcessed with? It's a freaken chain, not The Crown Jewels.
You are completely misunderstanding what I am saying. I don’t do heroic chain cleaning nor drivetrain cleaning rituals. I’ve long been an advocate of doing exactly the opposite. That’s the reason I use solvent wax instead of oil or hot wax. I don’t clean my chain more than the initial install. I don’t have to clean or wipe or take apart my drivetrain for any given interval you’d like to specify…daily, weekly, biweekly, etc. Those are all intervals I’ve heard people claim that they have to do to keep their bikes clean. Here’s a picture of my drivetrain in the middle of winter (January, I think) that has not be cleaned before the picture was taken

IMG_1153 by Stuart Black, on Flickr
IMG_1155 by Stuart Black, on Flickr

My drivetrains always look like this and I do minimal cleaning even when I put on a new chain.

The only reason I clean the chain before an install is because I’ve found the factory lube to be a lot dirtier if I don’t.

I will say, though, that comparing motorcycle chains on this basis is a bit silly. Yes, mc chains are subjected to far more horsepower, but they're a hell of a lot bigger, heavier and stronger than bike chains could ever be, plus they're not being "derailed" on a regular basis. It's like comparing the mileage you can expect from a car tire to a bike tire. If you could over-build the bike chain to the extent that you can a motorcycle chain, I'd bet the mileage would be a lot more comparable. You really claiming you're getting 25,000 miles out of a waxed chain, where you can exclude grit? I could get nitpicky and say that according to you, a waxed chain should last forever, because you identify grit as being "the cause" of chain wear, but I'm sure that was just a misstatement on your part.
You are missing the point. Motorcycle chains aren’t that much more overbuilt than a bicycle chain. Yes, they are wider but they do undergo a whole lot more strain and stress than a bicycle chain ever does. Yet they last a whole lot longer because they are overbuilt and sealed and run through oil baths that remove the grit problem. We can’t do that because of our low power motors so we wear out an unsealed chain a whole lot faster than a high power motor of a motorcycle.

No, I’m not saying that a bicycle chain can last 25,000 miles on a bicycle if wax is used. There is a different pathway for a waxed chain to wear out that doesn’t significantly increase the life of the chain. Wax doesn’t move back into the pressure points like oil does so there is more metal on metal wear. Grit isn’t the problem it is with oil since oil pumps grit into the pressure points where it does its wear but metal on metal wear is. You can’t win. The only advantage wax has is in cleanliness of the drivetrain. Since the mileage is equivalent, the difference in cleaning makes wax very attractive.

I tried the wax/solvent bit, and it didn't work for me because the stuff kept coming off the minute my chain got wet, and I got sick of reapplying at the side of the road. Also, the noise actually did bug me. I doubt I could meaningfully extend the life of my chain much anyway because for me the high gear riding that I do is pretty tough on chains.
I’ll state again that water does not remove wax in anyway, shape, or form. Wax, by its very chemical nature, is much less water soluble than oil and oil doesn’t have much water solubility. You could spray the contents of Lake Superior on a chain that has been waxed and the wax would outlast the metal…it’s that insoluble in water. The issue with a waxed chain squeaking after getting wet is due to that lack of movement of the wax from above.

That said, oil doesn’t do any better in the wet than wax does. It just happens to flow back into the spaces that get rusty with waxed chain. But the water separates from the oil and the water has a higher affinity for the metal than the oil does…has to do with that water solubility issue. And, since you already acknowledge that water has dissolved oxygen in it, that oxygen does what oxygen does to metal - it oxidizes it. The squeak that is there with wax is still there with oil, it’s just masked by the oil. Any bicycle chain that is used in wet conditions should be lubricated afterwards to prevent oxidation.

​​​​​​​There’s no free lunch.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Last edited by cyccommute; 03-07-23 at 07:04 PM.
Likes For cyccommute:
Old 03-07-23, 07:35 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Grit sticks to the oil. More importantly, the small grit that sticks to the chain gets pumped into the chain since the oil is a liquid that flows into and out of the chain constantly. Relubing the chain just flushes the grit from the outside to the inside. Wiping the chain pushes the small grit that does the damage to the chain into the gaps of the chain where the oil pumps it right into the internals of the chain where it grids away.

Grit gets deposited on the outside of a wax chain but it doesn’t stick to the wax. External wax sloughs off taking the smaller amount of grit with it. It doesn’t get pumped into the chain because the wax doesn’t flow. Adding new solvent wax to the chain carries a small amount of grit with it but not that much and, because the wax doesn’t move, the grit is far less of a wear problem. But, as I detail below, there is a different wear mechanism for wax which leads to about the same wear interval.
Yeah, I know all about the claims people make that dry wax lubes are cleaner than wet oil lubes. From my experience, that is not the case. Dry wax lubes get gummy. I also hear ad nauseam about how grinding paste gets sucked into chain internals and grinds them away to dust.

Frankly, I don’t believe your 8000 km claim. 3000 miles is just a rough estimate. It’s a range of 3000 to 4000 miles and isn’t that much less than 8000km. It’s just a whole lot cleaner.
First off, re-read my post below. I said 8K miles, not 8000 km. Big difference:

Second, if you don't believe me, I can't help you. That's your own problem. Or you don't want to believe me because you are so set in wanting to be right. And 3000-4000 miles is much less than 8000 miles as in half or less.
Old 03-07-23, 09:44 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

I’ve heard it and felt it. Depends on where you ride. I used oil on mountain bikes…Phil’s Tenacious oil, to be exact…for many years and am well aware of the “crunchy” problem elcyc is talking about.

You are completely misunderstanding what I am saying. I don’t do heroic chain cleaning nor drivetrain cleaning rituals. I’ve long been an advocate of doing exactly the opposite. That’s the reason I use solvent wax instead of oil or hot wax. I don’t clean my chain more than the initial install. I don’t have to clean or wipe or take apart my drivetrain for any given interval you’d like to specify…daily, weekly, biweekly, etc. Those are all intervals I’ve heard people claim that they have to do to keep their bikes clean. Here’s a picture of my drivetrain in the middle of winter (January, I think) that has not be cleaned before the picture was taken

IMG_1153 by Stuart Black, on Flickr
IMG_1155 by Stuart Black, on Flickr

My drivetrains always look like this and I do minimal cleaning even when I put on a new chain.

The only reason I clean the chain before an install is because I’ve found the factory lube to be a lot dirtier if I don’t.

You are missing the point. Motorcycle chains aren’t that much more overbuilt than a bicycle chain. Yes, they are wider but they do undergo a whole lot more strain and stress than a bicycle chain ever does. Yet they last a whole lot longer because they are overbuilt and sealed and run through oil baths that remove the grit problem. We can’t do that because of our low power motors so we wear out an unsealed chain a whole lot faster than a high power motor of a motorcycle.

No, I’m not saying that a bicycle chain can last 25,000 miles on a bicycle if wax is used. There is a different pathway for a waxed chain to wear out that doesn’t significantly increase the life of the chain. Wax doesn’t move back into the pressure points like oil does so there is more metal on metal wear. Grit isn’t the problem it is with oil since oil pumps grit into the pressure points where it does its wear but metal on metal wear is. You can’t win. The only advantage wax has is in cleanliness of the drivetrain. Since the mileage is equivalent, the difference in cleaning makes wax very attractive.

I’ll state again that water does not remove wax in anyway, shape, or form. Wax, by its very chemical nature, is much less water soluble than oil and oil doesn’t have much water solubility. You could spray the contents of Lake Superior on a chain that has been waxed and the wax would outlast the metal…it’s that insoluble in water. The issue with a waxed chain squeaking after getting wet is due to that lack of movement of the wax from above.

That said, oil doesn’t do any better in the wet than wax does. It just happens to flow back into the spaces that get rusty with waxed chain. But the water separates from the oil and the water has a higher affinity for the metal than the oil does…has to do with that water solubility issue. And, since you already acknowledge that water has dissolved oxygen in it, that oxygen does what oxygen does to metal - it oxidizes it. The squeak that is there with wax is still there with oil, it’s just masked by the oil. Any bicycle chain that is used in wet conditions should be lubricated afterwards to prevent oxidation.

There’s no free lunch.

A masked squeak?!?!?! Sorry, but when you assert something as absurd as that, I really don't need to discount my experience to fit your sophistry. There's no squeak because it's properly lubricated, the squeak is just the audible symptom. I don't have problems with rusting with oil-based lubes in rain, I don't experience any squeaking or grinding sounds, and my experience with the performance of solvent wax in heavy rain was simply intolerable for me. My riding is almost exclusively on pavement, my calculations might be somewhat different if I had different riding habits. I won't pretend to know the comparative hydrophobic chemistry of solvent wax or mechanical "flow" issues, I just know that the properly lubricated chain is easier to pedal and the ride is a lot more pleasant. I get that with oil-based lubes, I don't like wax.

Yes, outside of the facts that motorcycle chains are completely different structurally and used in a fundamentally different way than bicycle chains, they are indeed chains. I'm not missing your point, you basically just admitted the two things have virtually no relevant similarities.

​​​​​​​OP doesn't know whether he has a grit problem, he just knows some of his chains make a funny sound when he twists them. Bike chains are not designed to be silent while twisted. I've got one weird trick to solve that problem-- I don't twist my chains.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 03-08-23, 06:16 AM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

A masked squeak?!?!?! Sorry, but when you assert something as absurd as that, I really don't need to discount my experience to fit your sophistry. There's no squeak because it's properly lubricated.
Winner, winner, chicken dinner! Who woulda thunk?? 👍

Bike chains are not designed to be silent while twisted. I've got one weird trick to solve that problem-- I don't twist my chains.
Revelation #2! 👍
Old 03-08-23, 08:40 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Chain threads never fail to entertain.
Likes For BlazingPedals:
Old 03-08-23, 09:02 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Molten Speed Wax and Silca melted dry wax does not get gummy.

Liquid wax like Squirt, Smoove, and Silca secret sauce get gummy when applied incorrectly
Old 03-08-23, 09:36 AM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

A masked squeak?!?!?! Sorry, but when you assert something as absurd as that, I really don't need to discount my experience to fit your sophistry. There's no squeak because it's properly lubricated, the squeak is just the audible symptom. I don't have problems with rusting with oil-based lubes in rain, I don't experience any squeaking or grinding sounds, and my experience with the performance of solvent wax in heavy rain was simply intolerable for me. My riding is almost exclusively on pavement, my calculations might be somewhat different if I had different riding habits. I won't pretend to know the comparative hydrophobic chemistry of solvent wax or mechanical "flow" issues, I just know that the properly lubricated chain is easier to pedal and the ride is a lot more pleasant. I get that with oil-based lubes, I don't like wax.
The oxidation occurs with both wax and oil. That’s the way that dissolved oxygen in water works. The water provides a vehicle for the oxygen to convert the metal to an ionic metal oxide. Oil doesn’t stop it. Ever heard the old saw of “oil and water don’t mix”. They don’t and the oil floats on the water because of density differences. Oxidation happens whether you believe it or not.

Yes, outside of the facts that motorcycle chains are completely different structurally and used in a fundamentally different way than bicycle chains, they are indeed chains. I'm not missing your point, you basically just admitted the two things have virtually no relevant similarities.
No, I’m not admitting that they have no relevant similarities. Motorcycle and bicycle chains are exactly the same mechanisms using the same kinds of parts in slightly different sizes. Motorcycle chains have some enhancements that lead to longer life that bicycle chains can’t reproduce due to the differences in power output of the motors. You could make a bicycle chain with o-ring seals and automatic oilers but you couldn’t pedal it with a 1/5 to 1/4 horsepower power plant. I’m not even sure you could pedal it with a bicycle electric motor which is only 1.2 horsepower. It’s just not an option so we have to live with short lived chains.

​​​​​​​
​​​​​​​OP doesn't know whether he has a grit problem, he just knows some of his chains make a funny sound when he twists them. Bike chains are not designed to be silent while twisted. I've got one weird trick to solve that problem-- I don't twist my chains.
Oh, he knows he has a grit problem. We all know what that “teeth on edge” grinding noise means. He just wants to confirm that he has that problem.

And, yes, you do twist your chains…every time you shift gears.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 03-08-23, 09:44 AM
cyccommute 

Yeah, I know all about the claims people make that dry wax lubes are cleaner than wet oil lubes. From my experience, that is not the case. Dry wax lubes get gummy. I also hear ad nauseam about how grinding paste gets sucked into chain internals and grinds them away to dust.
I don’t know what wax lubricants you have been using but I’ve never had one that becomes gummy. Factory lubricant…a soft wax…can be a little gummy but that is why I strip it off before installation. It cleaner.

First off, re-read my post below. I said 8K miles, not 8000 km. Big difference:
My mistake. However if your claim is true, you are an outlier by several times over what most people claim for chain mileage. Very few people claim that kind of mileage for a chain.

​​​​​​​Second, if you don't believe me, I can't help you. That's your own problem. Or you don't want to believe me because you are so set in wanting to be right. And 3000-4000 miles is much less than 8000 miles as in half or less.
It’s an extraordinary claim and I’d need far more than “trust me” to believe it. I’ve been riding bikes for more than 40 years using both oils and wax. I’ve never gotten anywhere close to 8000 miles out of a chain nor have many people.

Old 03-08-23, 09:47 AM
GhostRider62

16 out of 93 posts by the least technically qualified.

Chains don't twist? Unless chainline is perfect and you are running a fixie, all chains twist.
Old 03-08-23, 10:13 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3498 Post(s)
Liked 2,911 Times in 1,766 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
Chains don't twist? Unless chainline is perfect and you are running a fixie, all chains twist.
I submit that flexing a chain side-to-side is different than twisting.
Likes For smd4:
Old 03-08-23, 10:34 AM
GhostRider62

Originally Posted by smd4
I submit that flexing a chain side-to-side is different than twisting.
I submit that is a distinction with no difference. Twist will be in two dimensions while shifting and when in say big-big or small-small combinations, the chain will flex in both orientations but some chains are better than others.
Old 03-08-23, 11:18 AM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

I don’t know what wax lubricants you have been using but I’ve never had one that becomes gummy. Factory lubricant…a soft wax…can be a little gummy but that is why I strip it off before installation. It cleaner.

My mistake. However if your claim is true, you are an outlier by several times over what most people claim for chain mileage. Very few people claim that kind of mileage for a chain.

It’s an extraordinary claim and I’d need far more than “trust me” to believe it. I’ve been riding bikes for more than 40 years using both oils and wax. I’ve never gotten anywhere close to 8000 miles out of a chain nor have many people.
Well I don't have a way of proving this to you, so if you don't believe me, that's on you. And this might come as a surprise, but there are quite a few people who get 8000 miles out of their chains and even a few people who get over 10,000 miles out of their chains.

I maintain that if you are only getting 3000 miles out of your chains, you're doing something wrong. Either your lube isn't very good, your lubing methods aren't effective, you ride a lot in foul weather and other challenging conditions or you're changing your chains before they need to be changed.
Old 03-08-23, 11:22 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

And, yes, you do twist your chains…every time you shift gears.
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
16 out of 93 posts by the least technically qualified.

Oh, gosh, will it satisfy your pedantry if I specify "twisted by hand"? Or how about "twisted forcibly to any significant degree"?

OP is describing taking the chain into both hands and rotating his hands in opposite directions. That doesn't resemble the lateral forces you two are discussing in any relevant way.
Likes For livedarklions:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.