Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Bottom bracket shell marking ID

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 03-26-23, 05:06 PM
dougb
Put some lights on!

Bikes: 1989 Giordana Scorpius, 1992 Trek 930 Singletrack, 1986 Raleigh Super Course, 1988 Tommaso Cromor, 1984 Sekai 2500 Grandtour, 1980 Trek 412

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

I bought a Giordana frame several years ago. It doesn’t have model decals, but it does have tubing decals on the seat tube and forks - Columbus SL. The bottom bracket shell has “58 SL” stamped into it. I believe it’s a late 80s-early 90s frame, perhaps a Scorpius or Antares model.
I’m curious about the manufacturers mark cast onto the bottom of the shell. Raised letters within a circle read, “SR” - I think.
I appreciate any thoughts on what “SR” signifies. I know there’s some mystery about who built Giordana frames. Perhaps this mark could shed some light.

Giordana bottom bracket shell
Old 03-26-23, 11:19 PM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,053 Times in 780 Posts
AFAIK there's no mystery about *most* Giordano frames: they were built by Billato.
This BB shell is investment-cast and that logo is the shell maker, unlikely the same as frame builder.
I don't recognize it as being one of the well-known Italian IC brands but since there's a recognizable "R" perhaps it's an early Roto?
Old 03-27-23, 06:16 AM
Hondo6

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 549 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 462 Posts
Originally Posted by unworthy1
AFAIK there's no mystery about *most* Giordano frames: they were built by Billato.
This BB shell is investment-cast and that logo is the shell maker, unlikely the same as frame builder.
I don't recognize it as being one of the well-known Italian IC brands but since there's a recognizable "R" perhaps it's an early Roto?
Whoever made that BB shell, it looks like @cudak888 's recently-purchased Raleigh may have the same - or a very similar - marking on it's BB shell (lower right in photo below). So Raleigh may also have been using it at some point.

Old 03-27-23, 07:06 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2420 Post(s)
Liked 4,381 Times in 2,090 Posts
It's definitely the mark of the bottom bracket shell manufacturer, independent of the builder. Even though it's the first thing that pops into mind, I doubt its Sakae Ringyo.

A framebuilder active during this time may know. What era is the Giordana from? The Raleigh is a '91.

-Kurt

Old 03-27-23, 09:03 AM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3802 Post(s)
Liked 3,324 Times in 2,170 Posts
-----

bulgie Doug Fattic MauriceMoss

-----
Likes For juvela:
Old 03-27-23, 09:27 AM
dougb
Put some lights on!

Bikes: 1989 Giordana Scorpius, 1992 Trek 930 Singletrack, 1986 Raleigh Super Course, 1988 Tommaso Cromor, 1984 Sekai 2500 Grandtour, 1980 Trek 412

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by cudak888
It's definitely the mark of the bottom bracket shell manufacturer, independent of the builder. Even though it's the first thing that pops into mind, I doubt its Sakae Ringyo.

A framebuilder active during this time may know. What era is the Giordana from? The Raleigh is a '91.

-Kurt
Based on the tubing decals, it’s late 80s - early 90s.

Likes For dougb:
Old 03-27-23, 02:17 PM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1635 Post(s)
Liked 823 Times in 532 Posts
Bottecchia used the same markings on their BB shell to indicate frame tubing ajd size in the mid to late 80's......
84 Peugeot PY10FC
84 Gitane Tour de France.
85 Vitus Plus Carbone 7
86 ALAN Record Carbonio
86 Medici Aerodynamic (Project)
88 Pinarello Montello
89 Bottecchia Professional Chorus SL
95 Trek 5500 OCLV (Project)
Old 03-27-23, 07:08 PM
Seanaus

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 52 Posts
Originally Posted by dougb
I bought a Giordana frame several years ago. It doesn’t have model decals, but it does have tubing decals on the seat tube and forks - Columbus SL. The bottom bracket shell has “58 SL” stamped into it. I believe it’s a late 80s-early 90s frame, perhaps a Scorpius or Antares model.
I’m curious about the manufacturers mark cast onto the bottom of the shell. Raised letters within a circle read, “SR” - I think.
I appreciate any thoughts on what “SR” signifies. I know there’s some mystery about who built Giordana frames. Perhaps this mark could shed some light.
Frame is by Billato I'm sure, BB shell I have no idea.
Old 03-28-23, 11:36 AM
Hondo6

Originally Posted by cudak888
Even though it's the first thing that pops into mind, I doubt its Sakae Ringyo.
Exactly what I came to mind for me too. I seem to recall seeing that same (or a VERY similar) mark on the backside of some Sakae Ringyo crank arms - though memory is unreliable sometimes. (Those cranks are now in storage and I can't readily access them to check.)

But like you, I don't ever recall seeing Sakae Ringyo listed as a source of frame parts for lugged frames anywhere.
Old 03-28-23, 03:31 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3582 Post(s)
Liked 3,394 Times in 1,928 Posts
Originally Posted by Hondo6
Exactly what I came to mind for me too. I seem to recall seeing that same (or a VERY similar) mark on the backside of some Sakae Ringyo crank arms - though memory is unreliable sometimes. (Those cranks are now in storage and I can't readily access them to check.)
Not quite the same:
Old 03-28-23, 05:07 PM
Hondo6

Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
Not quite the same:
True; that one's definitely different.

However, SR has used different variants of their "SR" logo. I was possibly thinking of this version - though I also seem to remember another that's even closer to the one on the BB shells in question above.

Image from Velobase.

Or maybe I'm just "out to lunch" due to bad memory. Wouldn't be the first time, and almost certainly won't be the last time either.

Last edited by Hondo6; 03-28-23 at 05:13 PM.
Old 03-28-23, 05:20 PM
dougb
Put some lights on!

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Haden produced a couple of lug sets called Royal Sovereign. Perhaps the logo is to be read “RS”.

Haden catalog page from equusbicycle.com
Likes For dougb:
Old 03-29-23, 04:06 AM
MauriceMoss

Bikes: None in ridable condition

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 192 Posts
I've tried to find out who was behind these "SR" branded bottom bracket shells but never got very far. I had been thinking of starting a thread but, now that this one is active, I might as well just add here the info I have.

There were 3 brands of bottom bracket shells that all seemed to hit the market in Italy around the same time (mid-late 80s): BSE, Chierici (the model with their logo appearing on the underside) and SR. They had decent market presence (especially SR and Chierici) but for a very short period, as all three disappeared pretty quickly.

While I don't know who was behind these "SR" branded bottom bracket shells, I'm pretty sure they were made in Italy and not in Japan. Vast majority of examples are on Italian made frames (ITA threading), with a smattering of frames from outside of Italy (as you'll see from the list). I've never seen any examples from Japan.

Re: Sakae Ringyo, which usually gets mentioned whenever these shells come up for discussion - the only Sakae Ringyo logo (there were at least 3) that looks similar is different from the marking on these shells, so I'll just leave this side-by-side for reference:

Here's a list of brands that I've seen use SR shells:
Anselmo (Losa)
Atala
Aliverti (likely Vianelli or Denti)
Benedetti
Berma
Biemmezeta
Chesini
Denti, Mino
Faccioli
Ferremi
Ghirardi (Losa)
Giordana
Losa
Morandotti (Losa)
Morotti (Denti)
Moser, Franceso
Olmo
Paletti
Rauler
Ricci (Losa)
Tomas (likely Biemmezeta)
Vedovati
Vetta
Vianelli

Cratoni (most likely Biemmezeta)

Andros

Dave Lloyd
Harry Quinn
John Retallick
Raleigh

Marinoni

Serotta (specifically Performance Speciale, but have seen others)

The SR logo also appears on items other than bb shells, albeit far less frequently. I've seen one example of lugs with that logo:

The logo also appears on some Columbus (mostly) aero seat posts. I reached out to Columbus about this, thinking they've got to be at the center of this branding/marking, but I never received a response.

So, in the end, I don't really have much that would help move the ID further. I just hope that additional info might jog memory of someone who was involved in frame building in the late 80s who might have used (and ordered) these shells.
Likes For MauriceMoss:
Old 01-05-24, 05:34 PM
Ravi1990

Bikes: Cicli Monti, milanese district Baggio by Losa ca. 1983 / gibi - Gianbattista Baronchelli Columbus SL 80s GPM CronoSpecial & Exploit + Modolo Super Prestige / Rivola 437 ca. 1982 Massalomabrda, Emilia-Romagna, by Gianni Rivola / Peloso '69 Alessandria

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 12 Posts
f.lli Chierici from Parma had at least three different bottom bracket shells over a rather short time span (20 yaers maybe)...
and the Maurizio racing bikes belong to Chierici,
cheers ✌🏾

F.lli Chierici Parma

frame Melchioretto, with roto dropouts

Cicli Perrone, Torino with Chierici bottom bracket shell

Tommasini with Chierici bb shell

probably a Patelli with a Chierici bb shell

my Rivola Competition (#437) by Gianni Rivola with a Chierici investment cast bb shell, picture by me ;- )

same Rivola Competition (#437) by Gianni Rivola, older picture of the auction
Likes For Ravi1990:
Old 01-05-24, 06:42 PM
Ravi1990

Bikes: Cicli Monti, milanese district Baggio by Losa ca. 1983 / gibi - Gianbattista Baronchelli Columbus SL 80s GPM CronoSpecial & Exploit + Modolo Super Prestige / Rivola 437 ca. 1982 Massalomabrda, Emilia-Romagna, by Gianni Rivola / Peloso '69 Alessandria

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 12 Posts
Cinelli tipo Spoiler investement cast bottom bracket shell was pretty popular to in the mid to late 80s, designed by Gianni Gabella, had even a patent!, with the flying c Logo of Italo Lupi from 1979, leaving the heraldry behind.
Roto had a nice shell too, used also on Gazelle ... (also nice drop outs, inspiered by Orazio Grenzi fore sure) as fork crown, pretty early already, from 1973!!!

Rebour, LeCycle, Milan show, 1 Dec. 1973, No. issue 145, magazine volume 28, the scan is from page 22 of the issue 1-5 Cinelli 7-8 Roto investment cast
Likes For Ravi1990: