Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Road Etiquette Question: Hopping on a stranger's wheel?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Road Etiquette Question: Hopping on a stranger's wheel?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-22, 11:58 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
A zombie thread, but worth reviving for the above post ... nothing funnier has been posted on the forum since this thread went dormant.
It's not like one of those nasty fast mover zombie topics on BF you stay away from.

This is a funny idiotic slow mover zombie. It's fun to just keep around for times you want to use it as a punching bag. You know it'll never die and always be around ready to take a beating.
Old 07-19-22, 12:26 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10418 Post(s)
Liked 11,876 Times in 6,083 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
It's not like one of those nasty fast mover zombie topics on BF you stay away from.

This is a funny idiotic slow mover zombie. It's fun to just keep around for times you want to use it as a punching bag. You know it'll never die and always be around ready to take a beating.
When the sun burns down to a cinder, someone, somewhere, will still be asking, "Is it okay to hop on a stranger's wheel?"

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 07-20-22, 07:36 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
There's a certain no-shirt-wearing, hybrid-riding, no-rear-brake forum member who really needs to be all over this thread. It's calling his name!
Old 07-20-22, 07:44 AM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9653 Post(s)
Liked 6,365 Times in 3,505 Posts
Some total stranger passed me last week as I was starting a ride and warming up. He then moved over and sat in front of my wheel for several miles. When it was time to turn it up a notch, I passed him and never saw him again. Neither of us ever said a word. I appreciated him volunteering for the extra work though.
Old 07-20-22, 07:49 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10165 Post(s)
Liked 5,852 Times in 3,152 Posts
So, we've discussed the wheel; now, how about the stranger?
Old 07-20-22, 07:58 AM
Mojo31
-------

Originally Posted by MoAlpha
So, we've discussed the wheel; now, how about the stranger?
Old guy, really mashing it hard. He was too out of breath to try to converse. Thankfully he didn't fart or shart or anything.
Old 07-20-22, 08:03 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Originally Posted by Mojo31
Old guy, really mashing it hard. He was too out of breath to try to converse. Thankfully he didn't fart or shart or anything.
My question referred to hopping on the stranger, as opposed to their wheel, but I assume from your answer that you would vote against the propriety of doing so.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 07-20-22, 08:53 AM
Mojo31
-------

My question referred to hopping on the stranger, as opposed to their wheel, but I assume from your answer that you would vote against the propriety of doing so.
You are correct.
Old 07-20-22, 08:55 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked 583 Times in 438 Posts
Good old thread revive! Love it.

Never without consent. It's just rude.

I sneezed the other time and there was someone right behind, drafting me. He got some in his face. Looked at him like ''what the hell are you doing there?'', I waived my hand as an apology and smoked him on the next hill. Never saw him again.
Likes For eduskator:
Old 07-20-22, 09:28 AM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2700 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 351 Posts
People get so weird about this... all the danger is on the person in the back. I wheelsuck all the time, usually say something like "hey buddy im on your wheel for a bit" or something along those lines, just so they know im there. I don't really care though I dont want them to change how they ride or take special attention to point out hazards.

If youre going relatively fast people will assume you know how to ride and are comfortable with drafting. Take it as a compliment.

Have had a few people pull over or get upset (One dude was super upset, cursing and stuff, but that was mainly because he fell into my trap and tried to pass me. seen him twice and he's always salty.)
Old 07-20-22, 09:31 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Likes For genejockey:
Old 07-20-22, 09:34 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
People get so weird about this... all the danger is on the person in the back. I wheelsuck all the time, usually say something like "hey buddy im on your wheel for a bit" or something along those lines, just so they know im there. I don't really care though I dont want them to change how they ride or take special attention to point out hazards.

If youre going relatively fast people will assume you know how to ride and are comfortable with drafting. Take it as a compliment.

Have had a few people pull over or get upset (One dude was super upset, cursing and stuff, but that was mainly because he fell into my trap and tried to pass me. seen him twice and he's always salty.)
You may wish to avoid my wheel. For some reason, my nose runs when I ride, so I'm in the habit of forcefully clearing it, without warning. It's worse below 60 degrees, but it's a constant thing.

Old 07-20-22, 09:37 AM
LarrySellerz

Originally Posted by 79pmooney
(More than a few times I have looked in my mirror to discover a brake-less fixie has been silently fracking me for who knows how long. All I had to do was touch my brakes when their cranks were vertical and I just took them out.)
Ive seen this sentiment posted multiple times, I really don't get the thought process. "Man this guy is right on my wheel, this is annoying and dangerous, lets try to do something that causes him to crash, that'll teach him!"
Old 07-20-22, 09:51 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3425 Post(s)
Liked 3,561 Times in 1,790 Posts
People get so weird about this... all the danger is on the person in the back.
And most of the responsibility for the drafter's safety falls on the lead rider.

I don't want some stranger grabbing my wheel, because then I'm responsible for keeping them safe, and I have no way of judging their skills. If someone grabs my wheel, I pull aside and wave them through.

If I roll up on a stranger, I keep at least a couple of bike lengths spacing until I'm ready to pass.

Old 07-20-22, 10:18 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Originally Posted by genejockey
You may wish to avoid my wheel. For some reason, my nose runs when I ride, so I'm in the habit of forcefully clearing it, without warning. It's worse below 60 degrees, but it's a constant thing.
In early hardshell helmet days, I had a crummy lid with inadequate ventilation. On hot rides the sweat would collect at some critical point on the harness and fly in a steady stream directly onto whoever had the misfortune to be on my wheel. I received many complaints.
Old 07-20-22, 10:39 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts

Doesn't matter, it's a dick move made by dicks with small dicks.
Old 07-20-22, 10:41 AM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 3259 Post(s)
Liked 2,085 Times in 979 Posts
Originally Posted by bah humbug
doesn't matter, it's a dick move made by dicks with small dicks.
qft
Likes For phrantic09:
Old 07-20-22, 10:45 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by terrymorse
And most of the responsibility for the drafter's safety falls on the lead rider.

I don't want some stranger grabbing my wheel, because then I'm responsible for keeping them safe, and I have no way of judging their skills. If someone grabs my wheel, I pull aside and wave them through.
That's the key thing, to me - without my consent, somebody makes me responsible for them. I ride at my own speed, and that varies a lot even within any given ride. If somebody's close enough, even my standing up for a hill could cause a touch of wheels. And I'm big enough that a lot of smaller riders would not be able to see around me, so I end up having to alert them to hazards, because I don't want to be a dick. And since I don't want to be a dick, I can't blow my nose or spit when I want to.

If I roll up on a stranger, I keep at least a couple of bike lengths spacing until I'm ready to pass.
I will often ride off to one side or the other of their slipstream, so it's clear I'm not drafting them, and then I'll either pass or wait for them to go up the next rise faster than me, depending.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 07-20-22, 11:15 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4802 Post(s)
Liked 3,922 Times in 2,551 Posts
That's the key thing, to me - without my consent, somebody makes me responsible for them. I ride at my own speed, and that varies a lot even within any given ride. If somebody's close enough, even my standing up for a hill could cause a touch of wheels. And I'm big enough that a lot of smaller riders would not be able to see around me, so I end up having to alert them to hazards, because I don't want to be a dick. And since I don't want to be a dick, I can't blow my nose or spit when I want to.

I will often ride off to one side or the other of their slipstream, so it's clear I'm not drafting them, and then I'll either pass or wait for them to go up the next rise faster than me, depending.
+1

Ive seen this sentiment posted multiple times, I really don't get the thought process. "Man this guy is right on my wheel, this is annoying and dangerous, lets try to do something that causes him to crash, that'll teach him!"
You missed my point. In Portland, those brakeless fix gear riders latch onto my wheel when I think I'm riding alone. Riding alone, I use the brakes anytime it it makes my ride a touch safer simply because I've done my quota of crashes. I brake for pedestrians who might pull a surprise move, small animals, the pavement getting iffy ... For corners my 175 cranks won't clear (fixed). And I've come very close to taking out riders who parked themselves on my wheel without telling me.

I know many riders consider the open road the same as a closed race course; that any wheel out there is fair game to be sat on. Figuring the owner of that wheel is in on this game. Not me. I ride alone by choice. And I know full well racing rules and traditions. I used to race. Racing comes with touch of wheels crashes. So do pacelines. Like I said, I've done my share. I'm in my late 60s. I have the bones of someone who's ridden all his life. I crash, I break. I ride solo by choice and I do not want people grabbing my wheel unannounced. I live in a state where bicycles are governed by the same laws as cars (except where spelled out). Tailgate me and cause me to crash and you might be seeing me in court. And I'll let you explain to the judge that tailgaiting 24" back is safe, proper and should be legal.
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 07-20-22, 11:21 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

And nevermind the (very real) safety concerns, imagine how you'd feel if someone followed you around the grocery store a foot behind you. No warning, no indication of for how long or their intentions. It's creepy and antisocial. I'm fine when people introduce themselves and ask if it's ok to draft (and listen if I say no), but it's revealing how many people think it's ok NOT to do that.
Old 07-20-22, 11:33 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
And nevermind the (very real) safety concerns, imagine how you'd feel if someone followed you around the grocery store a foot behind you. No warning, no indication of for how long or their intentions. It's creepy and antisocial. I'm fine when people introduce themselves and ask if it's ok to draft (and listen if I say no), but it's revealing how many people think it's ok NOT to do that.
Something like this, I imagine...

Likes For genejockey:
Old 07-20-22, 11:40 AM
LarrySellerz

my bad mooney, ive seen advice like "brake check them" on how to deal with wheelsuckers and must have read your comment with that in mind. Apologies. Jockey I don't expect some random I'm drafting to change how they ride, the only reason I alert them to my presence (only like 80% of the time, sometimes they obviously have headphones in or are in their zone) is to avoid being an antisocial weirdo. If you want to stop or do something crazy like swerve thats on the drafter, most of them aren't 2 inches off your wheel and franky if they are they probably know what you are doing and can tell that you know what youre doing as well
Old 07-20-22, 11:46 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

my bad mooney, ive seen advice like "brake check them" on how to deal with wheelsuckers and must have read your comment with that in mind. Apologies. Jockey I don't expect some random I'm drafting to change how they ride, the only reason I alert them to my presence (only like 80% of the time, sometimes they obviously have headphones in or are in their zone) is to avoid being an antisocial weirdo. If you want to stop or do something crazy like swerve thats on the drafter, most of them aren't 2 inches off your wheel and franky if they are they probably know what you are doing and can tell that you know what youre doing as well
Too late.
Likes For Bah Humbug:
Old 07-20-22, 11:51 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

It doesn't matter what you expect. If I find someone drafting me I become responsible for them not crashing because of a hazard I can see that they can't. It's an imposition, regardless.

Sometimes I don't mind much - I passed a guy at the top of Canada Rd last Sunday, after he passed me at one of the stop signs, and then I did what I always do, which is to get in the big ring and the drops and push as hard as I can. At Edgewood I noticed he'd tucked in behind me, but he seemed like a good rider so I just kept pushing all the way to the Water Temple, where I sat up because I needed to refill a bottle for the trip home. He passed and rode on. Didn't thank me, though.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 07-20-22, 12:03 PM
LarrySellerz

It doesn't matter what you expect. If I find someone drafting me I become responsible for them not crashing because of a hazard I can see that they can't. It's an imposition, regardless.

Sometimes I don't mind much - I passed a guy at the top of Canada Rd last Sunday, after he passed me at one of the stop signs, and then I did what I always do, which is to get in the big ring and the drops and push as hard as I can. At Edgewood I noticed he'd tucked in behind me, but he seemed like a good rider so I just kept pushing all the way to the Water Temple, where I sat up because I needed to refill a bottle for the trip home. He passed and rode on. Didn't thank me, though.
He didn't even say hi when he first caught your wheel? the segment youre describing is at least 6 miles. People are too reluctant to say hi and exchange pleasantries with their fellow riders. "Avoiding" drafting on a road with heavy bicycle traffic like Canada is ludicrous, and people who get upset by it are IMO delusional.

are you mildly miffed at the silent canada drafter? yeah he didn't thank you but would you have preferred to be undisturbed? Honest question not trolling

Last edited by LarrySellerz; 07-20-22 at 12:07 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.