Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

AWD bike. Solution looking for a problem?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-22, 09:41 AM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts

I certainly admire the engineering of this AWD bike, but is it simply an over-engineered solution looking for a problem? But if the market for it are those just looking to get attention, then it hits the mark.

https://www.yankodesign.com/2022/03/...motive-design/

Last edited by Riveting; 03-07-22 at 10:22 AM.
Likes For Riveting:
Old 03-07-22, 09:48 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6177 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
A lot of proof of concept designs are that way. Who knows what future manufacturing technologies and further design refinements might do. Did you ever see some of those concept cars at auto shows back in the 60's?
Likes For Iride01:
Old 03-07-22, 09:49 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,492 Times in 7,316 Posts
Way too small for me.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 03-07-22, 09:51 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6935 Post(s)
Liked 10,940 Times in 4,674 Posts
Are you sure that's not an old Rube Goldberg sketch?
Likes For Koyote:
Old 03-07-22, 09:53 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
A lot comes down to weight and the watts to overcome the serpentine chain/tire friction generated throughout the system.

It will be interesting to see how ride quality is addressed.

That said its viability solely rests on being able to argue over the best lube to use.

John
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 03-07-22, 09:56 AM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
This seems like it would be very difficult to maneuver, especially at low speed, but would probably float through deep sand or mud really well - almost like a tank tread.
Old 03-07-22, 09:58 AM
mrv 
buy my bikes

Bikes: my very own customized GUNNAR CrossHairs

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 426 Times in 248 Posts
for simple bikes - like the ones with two wheels and a chain and a crank and a cog on the rear wheel - isn't a big part of the ease of use the rotating mass of the wheel and the gyroscopic effect keeping the bike stable?
i've seen the figure 8 infinity thingy twice now, and at some point i'll break down and read the article, but just looking at the pictures (my preferred reading method):
how ya gonna keep your balance?
how ya gonna get a drink with your water bottle?
where does the water bottle go?
can you ride no handed?
how again is this an improvement?
yeayeayea, i should read the article, i guess.....

ciao!
Likes For mrv:
Old 03-07-22, 10:28 AM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 430 Posts
Interesting, I like it, for thinking outside the box. Not being an engineer, aside from materials engineering, I'm wondering how the 'physics' of the operation is viable... Especially that area of steering, ergonomics and drivetrain. Mentally taking this a few steps further, why not have a design which has separate groups, for chassis/drivetrain, wheel/suspension, and human erogonoimcs - allowing interchangablility, depending on 'use' - sortta like what we have now... changing wheels with different tires, gearing for different uses. Like wheelsets for 'all road', 'gravel', etc... Like modular continuous wheel/belt assembly which quickly 'hooks' into a drivetrain/suspension chassis and quick change ergo/controls/human position modules. Lot of opportunity for companies to make some really expensive bikes !!! LOL! And for riders to spend some serious Dosh !
I can imagine, at some point in the 'future', we can see 'suspended' bicycles, variable transmission that will make our current bikes -road/gravel/mtb - all look like Stanley steamers.
My vision is certainly clouded by my own limits of view of what's possible. But just think of HG Wells vision, back in his day, of what's possible. The idea of a rocket to the moon with people on board. 20,000 leagues under the sea - HUGE!
Key is to keep the 'vision' focused on Human-Powered !!! And not be completely influenced by /motorized', as we are currently being influenced.
... I mean, this looks like a 'chopper'/BMX (bicycle MOTOcross - weaning for MOTOcross, rather than human-cross ... know-what-I-mean-Vern?....). IE - This one using the same pedals which are currently Ripping the CRAP out of my shins and calves, as I try to find reason 'why' flats are better the 'clipless' for offroad riding... 'Flats' are fast becoming 'not workable' for my offroad riding... Still giving them a chance, but my shins/calves are complaining mightily... LOL!
Ride On
Yuri
Old 03-07-22, 10:29 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Just looking at it, I don't think it will be rideable. The front wheel doesn't appear to be able to turn. You can't balance a bicycle with a locked front wheel. As far as turning, this is a single caterpillar tread, there's a really good reason such treads always come in pairs.

Also, why is AWD supposed to be an advantage for bikes?
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 03-07-22, 10:32 AM
Cdst

Bikes: 2008 Kona Coilair Deluxe, 2012 Kona Sutra, 2019 Pinarello Dogma F10, 2021 Ibis Ripley

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by mrv
for simple bikes - like the ones with two wheels and a chain and a crank and a cog on the rear wheel - isn't a big part of the ease of use the rotating mass of the wheel and the gyroscopic effect keeping the bike stable?
i've seen the figure 8 infinity thingy twice now, and at some point i'll break down and read the article, but just looking at the pictures (my preferred reading method):
how ya gonna keep your balance?
how ya gonna get a drink with your water bottle?
where does the water bottle go?
can you ride no handed?
how again is this an improvement?
yeayeayea, i should read the article, i guess.....

ciao!
I could fit 2 water bottles right in the middle of those handlebars.

Balancing a moving bike is affected by a few factors and the Youtube channel Veritasium did a decent dive into it recently. From his explanation, losing the gyroscopic stability wouldn't be a big deal.

My question is, with a single tread, why 2 brake levers?

Last edited by Cdst; 03-07-22 at 10:36 AM.
Likes For Cdst:
Old 03-07-22, 10:43 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4386 Post(s)
Liked 4,827 Times in 2,983 Posts
Definitely not for real. I mean look at the state of the brake hose routing.
Old 03-07-22, 10:55 AM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
I own an all-wheel drive cycling device. It's the essence of simplicity ;-)

As for this bit of reality-divorced rendering...

Originally Posted by Riveting
I certainly admire the engineering of this AWD bike, but is it simply an over-engineered
It's over something, but I'd call it whimsy more than engineering.

Originally Posted by livedarklions
The front wheel doesn't appear to be able to turn.
Oh, I suspect all those track guides in the center let it turn some. At a cost in wear and losses, of course.

Originally Posted by Iride01
A lot of proof of concept designs are that way. Who knows what future manufacturing technologies and further design refinements might do. Did you ever see some of those concept cars at auto shows back in the 60's?
It's not really a proof of anything but imagination, in particular, it ignores practical aspects much more fundamental than technology.

Most of those concept car aspects of 60 years ago have gone nowhere either.

Originally Posted by msu2001la
but would probably float through deep sand or mud really well - almost like a tank tread.
Probably not, it's not very wide and the contact length isn't that much higher than an ordinary bike, since it's really more two wheels trying to share a common tire while maintaining the usual contact gap in between, than it is an actual crawler tread. We already have a simpler solution for that problem, the fat bike.

Last edited by UniChris; 03-07-22 at 11:04 AM.
Likes For UniChris:
Old 03-07-22, 11:05 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4244 Post(s)
Liked 1,348 Times in 935 Posts
The front wheel doesn't appear to be able to turn.
Look more carefully.

(Do you really think they would have put all that effort into the drive train and completely forget about turning?)
Old 03-07-22, 11:13 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
Some form of 2wd bikes have been around for a while now.

I don’t think they are solutions looking for problems. They are addressing a challenge that mountain bikers encounter (traction in steep and loose terrain). And from what I can tell, they do address those challenges well in many situations.

The problem is that the amount of times these challenges actually occur are a very small amount of the time you are riding. Simply learning good technique and body english gets you through a lot if these situations, so I don’t think there is really that much of a gap to fill.

Plus, fat bikes have largely addressed these traction needs, while offering additional advantages.

As far as this design in particular…. It seems far more complicated than current 2wd bikes with no added benefit that I can see.

I am also curious if there are other bike designs out there that steer by pivoting in the center like that one does. I have no idea how that would actually handle. Kind of like a fork with 1 meter of offset.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 03-07-22, 11:14 AM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 1,179 Times in 686 Posts
if they ever build it then yes, over engineered, might make more sense with a motor, just looks like it would be really hard to apply power.

i'd hate to fix a flat on that thing.
Old 03-07-22, 11:15 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,944 Times in 1,906 Posts
wonder how they got the concrete in the gatorskin belt so pliable?
Old 03-07-22, 11:19 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

This poor crab is about to get its legs torn off....

Likes For Kapusta:
Old 03-07-22, 11:21 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6177 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
Originally Posted by UniChris
Most of those concept car aspects of 60 years ago have gone nowhere either.
Some of the concept cars were just outrageous flamboyant imaginations of the person doing the design of the body styling. But the features and technology those cars were supposed to bring to us are in use today in cars that don't look so outrageous. Some never quite made it into the automobiles today, but found a use in other industry.
Old 03-07-22, 11:24 AM
UniChris

Some of the concept cars were just outrageous flamboyant imaginations of the person doing the design of the body styling. But the features and technology those cars were supposed to bring to us are in use today in cars that don't look so outrageous. Some never quite made it into the automobiles today, but found a use in other industry.
In a small minority of cases, but they were the quiet little things, that were actually useful, and could be achieved with the technology of the day but needed technological advance only to become cost effective, not to work at all.
Old 03-07-22, 11:28 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by Kapusta

I am also curious if there are other bike designs out there that steer by pivoting in the center like that one does. I have no idea how that would actually handle. Kind of like a fork with 1 meter of offset.
I watched the video a couple of times, and have stared a bit at the renderings and model. Why do you think it pivots in the middle? It's clear from his handling of the model the thing is rigid.

This "concept" isn't even half-baked. I think he was showing off his 3D printing and rendering skills.
Old 03-07-22, 11:32 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Concept cars are generally designed by people actually working in the automobile industry--this guy is a robotics engineer.
Old 03-07-22, 11:40 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,492 Times in 7,316 Posts
Flat pedals?

Likes For indyfabz:
Old 03-07-22, 11:41 AM
UniChris

Why do you think it pivots in the middle?
Because it would obviously have to? (Though I would say "curves" more than "pivots")

Basic presumption - and yes, it is a presumption - is that the guy has unrealistic thinking in being unable to realistically weigh trade-offs, not that he's a complete and total idiot who's never ridden a bike at all.

It's clear from his handling of the model the thing is rigid.
Irrelevant when it's clear that the 3d print has no moving parts whatsoever.

Last edited by UniChris; 03-07-22 at 11:46 AM.
Old 03-07-22, 12:03 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

I watched the video a couple of times, and have stared a bit at the renderings and model. Why do you think it pivots in the middle? It's clear from his handling of the model the thing is rigid.
I admit I assumed he knew the bike would need to steer, and that is the only way it could work for this bike (since there is no differential), and I thought the track guides in the middle were to accommodate that.

Though maybe not.....

Last edited by Kapusta; 03-07-22 at 12:09 PM.
Old 03-07-22, 12:35 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4244 Post(s)
Liked 1,348 Times in 935 Posts
The handle bar is supposed to be used to turn the front wheel. The tiny model doesn't show that.

Why do you think it pivots in the middle?
???

The only movement shown (only in the video) was a front suspension thing. The thing has rails in the middle. It doesn't "pivot in the middle".

Nothing in the model works. It's just a sculpture.

Last edited by njkayaker; 03-07-22 at 12:47 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.