Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Trek Slimstack headset assembly

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 06-25-22, 09:26 AM
Petersrock

Bikes: YT Jeffies, Specialized Stumpy, Cannondale Chase, a bunch of oldies but goodies

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

Hi everyone,

Im rebuilding a Trek FX 7.2 with a Slimstak headset. Its from around 2013 I think. Foolishly I misplaced my schematic from disassembly and am having a couple issues. Does anyone know if there is a diagram for this particular headset. Ive never seen bushings between the frame and the cup, does this seem right? The silver piece in the assembly I also havent seen in other headsets but there is a ton of side to side play when I dont have it in. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Old 06-25-22, 09:35 AM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Every threadless headset has 'that silver piece'. It is absolutely essential to create adjustable bearing preload. If the orientation of the pieces is how you have it installed the bearing and the other black piece (essentially the 'cone') need to be turned over.