Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Utility Cycling
Reload this Page >

Riding Shotgun in the Sky

Notices
Utility Cycling Want to haul groceries, beer, maybe even your kids? You don't have to live car free to put your bike to use as a workhorse. Here's the place to share and learn about the bicycle as a utility vehicle.

Old 12-09-20, 10:30 PM
alanf

Bikes: Devinci Millenium, Gary Fisher Joshua

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 13 Posts

I am planning on driving to the range on my bike and was wondering if anyone else has tried this. It disassembles leaving a 30" barrel which I am guessing would be covered and padded and strapped to the top tube and the handle etc would go in a back pack.

Has anyone tried this or have a better suggestion?
Old 12-10-20, 10:38 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4253 Post(s)
Liked 3,866 Times in 2,579 Posts
I haven't but I am interested in the thread. Sadly no ranges close enough to me to want to schlep all my gear on a bike. Though I do have plans to get a Tactical Solutions X-Ring takedown VR which I may take on the bike.

I would check your local laws and confirm things as it could get dicey.
Old 12-10-20, 11:01 PM
alanf

Hi veganbikes,
My progress so far is that I have a 3" cardboard tube* that the barrel and fore end fits into and the stock will go into a knapsack, maybe an old modified Camelback. On the muzzle I slipped a 4" long piece of packing tube and on the aft end I wrapped some other packing foam and put an elastic to hold it in place, then thee caps and slip it in muzzle first into the tube as the muzzle is smaller

The cardboard tube will butt up against the seat post and i will attach it somehow and the front will rest on top of the handlebar post. Just have to figure out the details.

This will keep the tube away from my legs when pedalling.

* a local print shop gave me a one yard long piece of cardboard tube and I had plastic ends.
Likes For alanf:
Old 12-10-20, 11:06 PM
alanf

That's a slick gun for travelling.
Old 12-11-20, 03:24 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Originally Posted by alanf
That's a slick gun for travelling.
Yeah I am pretty excited to get it and modify it to make it even lighter. I am not normally a weight weenie but this one I really want to get down to 3lbs or less if possible.

I still would double check on the laws and such but like the system. It would be cool to build a bike with couplers to hide barrels or somehow use them as barrels but that would make your bike an AOW and you need tax stamps...
Old 12-11-20, 03:37 PM
alanf

Originally Posted by veganbikes
It would be cool to build a bike with couplers to hide barrels or somehow use them as barrels but that would make your bike an AOW and you need tax stamps...
My name is Bond, James Bond. That's hilarious, a weaponized bicycle.

A shotgun once disassembled is no longer fireable. (sp) We carry our Biathlon rifle through the crowds at the ski hill. The ammo would probably require a lock and probably would be a better bet to lock the trigger.
Likes For alanf:
Old 12-13-20, 04:29 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Originally Posted by alanf
My name is Bond, James Bond. That's hilarious, a weaponized bicycle.

A shotgun once disassembled is no longer fireable. (sp) We carry our Biathlon rifle through the crowds at the ski hill. The ammo would probably require a lock and probably would be a better bet to lock the trigger.
There are takedown shotguns. I don't see why you couldn't do a take down that potentially hides in a bike tube or potentially is a bike tube? The Garcia Bronco is a pretty neat little take down from the 60s that did .410 shot or I believe could be had in .22lr or .22wmr as well.

I think with some knowledge, a lathe and maybe some CNC skills (and an FFL) one could make a pretty cool package on a bike, I don't know about legality of course but that could be figured out
Old 12-13-20, 07:51 PM
alanf

Thanks, interesting ideas.
I have almost finished what I described and was going to test drive it today for the Sunday shoot but it was raining too hard for a test run. I will cover the cardboard tube with some sort of plastic and maybe put a aero nose on it. I've also put my ammo box on a set tube carrier.

I'll report how the test goes.