Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Stem angle/length and riding position.

Search
Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-21, 06:00 AM
MrWasabi

Bikes: 2014 Fuji Traverse 1.3, 2020 Electra Cruiser 1, 1995 Giant CFM-4

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 36 Posts

I'm looking at a 30 degree stem as I like more of an upright riding position due to some shoulder/neck pain. Wouldn't an 80mm length negate some of the riding height increase but still shorten the reach compared to a 100mm stem? I have short/alligator arms but still like the more upright position and am wondering what might be the best balance for me.

Thanks for any input.
Old 08-08-21, 08:32 AM
xroadcharlie

Bikes: 2018 Giant Sedona

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 95 Posts
Not necessarily. The 20mm reduction in stem length means a shorter reach for a more upright riding position. You might be able to raise the handlebars to compensate if there not already at the minimum insertion point.

My friend's hybrid was giving him pain in the shoulders and hands. He replaced the flat bars with 6" high rise bars that worked well for him. I think replacing the stem would be easier but less effective. But it might be all you need.

I too have short arms, My solution was buying a Giant Sedona in 2018 with the shortest reach and tallest stack of all their bikes and a 40 degree stem. The bolt upright position makes for a very comfortable and enjoyable ride for my recreational riding. Perhaps not best for longer commutes because of the added wind resistance though.

Last edited by xroadcharlie; 08-08-21 at 11:52 AM.
Likes For xroadcharlie:
Old 08-08-21, 08:39 AM
mdarnton

Bikes: nothing to brag about

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 206 Times in 116 Posts
I achieved the same goal, for the same reason, with a shorter pivoting stem for both more rise and less reach.
Likes For mdarnton:
Old 08-08-21, 09:01 AM
MrWasabi

Originally Posted by xroadcharlie
Not necessarily. The 20mm reduction in stem length means a shorter reach for a more upright riding position..
Thanks for the input,

I thought the extra 20mm would actually raise the bars more than the 80mm as the stem would extend further out and upwards with the 30 degree angle and reach would be extended too obviously?

My bars already have a 30mm rise and a 9 degree sweep. I've also been eyeballing some Jones H-Bar Bend handlebars to add to the mix with a 30 degree stem.
Likes For MrWasabi:
Old 08-08-21, 04:13 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by MrWasabi
I thought the extra 20mm would actually raise the bars more than the 80mm as the stem would extend further out and upwards with the 30 degree angle and reach would be extended too obviously?
This stem comparison tool might be useful to you.

Originally Posted by MrWasabi
I've also been eyeballing some Jones H-Bar Bend handlebars to add to the mix with a 30 degree stem.
I put a Jones Bend on one of my bikes, and found that the rearward hand position really puts me in an upright position, while the "bend" position approximates the hoods position of a road bar with a short reach. I've since gone back to drop bars on that bike, but the Joneses did exactly what I wanted them to.

Likes For Rolla:
Old 08-08-21, 05:52 PM
MrWasabi

Thanks Rolla,

According to the calculator, if I did it right, the 100mm stem will give me 13mm more reach and 15mm more height than the 80mm. If I go with the Jones bars (or even my stock 30mm rise bars) and the 100mm 30 degree stem, I'm wondering now if I'm going upright too much and the 80 might be the best compromise?

Did you keep your Jones bars? If so, any interest in selling them?

Thanks again.