Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Info for Gaansari Goldenboy wheelset please?

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-21, 05:59 PM
Bonzo38

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi,
I recently bought a wheelset with Gaansari Goldenboy hubs on DRC ST18 rims for £20, approximately $30. I thought they were just cheap things at first and then I noticed they had USA on them which made me want to do a bit of research. All I've found out is that the company closed down in 2006, the hubs retailed at $285 and they were made by Paul Components. Can anyone give me anymore information about them please and/or the rims too? I can't find anything else about them over here in the UK. Possibly a rough valuation too if possible?

I tried uploading a photo but as this is my first post it won't let me!
Old 10-02-21, 04:27 PM
Dylansbob 
2k miles from the midwest

Bikes: ~'75 Colin Laing, '80s Schwinn SuperSport 650b, ex-Backroads ti project...

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked 931 Times in 446 Posts
Gaansari was a short-lived shop out of Dayton, OH. The owner was a long time bike industry guy (and a real jackass ****head). Hubs were early Paul track ones, usually anodized gold. I remember hearing the hubs had issues with street riding at the time, but I forgot what. Might have been axles cracking or bearings falling out of the shells. Frames, if you can find one, were made by Co-Motion. He only lasted a couple years before he realized the customer's he was courting weren't the ones to buy a bunch of Rivendells and custom single-speeds. As much bad timing as just really not reading the location he set up in, plus his devotion to the sermon really drove off some customers. Most weren't sad to see him fail.
Old 10-02-21, 04:36 PM
Bonzo38

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dylansbob
Gaansari was a short-lived shop out of Dayton, OH. The owner was a long time bike industry guy (and a real jackass ****head). Hubs were early Paul track ones, usually anodized gold. I remember hearing the hubs had issues with street riding at the time, but I forgot what. Might have been axles cracking or bearings falling out of the shells. Frames, if you can find one, were made by Co-Motion. He only lasted a couple years before he realized the customer's he was courting weren't the ones to buy a bunch of Rivendells and custom single-speeds. As much bad timing as just really not reading the location he set up in, plus his devotion to the sermon really drove off some customers. Most weren't sad to see him fail.
Thanks for the reply 👍 The guy sounds a bit of a d@#k!
Don't suppose the hubs are worth anything are they, once I've rebuilt them? 🙂
Old 10-02-21, 05:52 PM
Dylansbob 
2k miles from the midwest

Bikes: ~'75 Colin Laing, '80s Schwinn SuperSport 650b, ex-Backroads ti project...

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked 931 Times in 446 Posts
Here in the states, fixed is pretty dead. Hubset would probably go for ~$200usd, built up on decent rims, ~$350-maybe $400.
Old 10-02-21, 10:46 PM
Bonzo38

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dylansbob
Here in the states, fixed is pretty dead. Hubset would probably go for ~$200usd, built up on decent rims, ~$350-maybe $400.
Well thanks for the info 🙂