Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recreational & Family
Reload this Page >

Any recommendations for a tandem bicycle?

Notices
Recreational & Family Ride just to ride? Have a family and want to get them into cycling? Drop in here to discuss recreational and family cycling issues.

Old 08-30-21, 03:24 PM
rt134789

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I had a friend who had a tandem. I've considered getting one so that I could ride with a my wife who doesn't ride. It seems like it might be bulky and heavy when hauling to the basement or mounting on a car carrier. I just now discovered a tandem thread.

Last edited by rt134789; 08-30-21 at 03:38 PM. Reason: Found a tandem thread.
Old 09-09-21, 08:22 PM
Wheels74

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
If you go to the tandem cycling section of this forum, you will find a bunch of great information. And the tandem folks seem to be very helpfuI.
Old 10-04-21, 08:31 AM
Bholz

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
A tandem would most likely end up in a huge fight between my wife and I...just like a double kayak haha
Old 10-04-21, 02:39 PM
bktourer1

Bikes: Diamondback "parkway" Spec. "expedition

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 33 Posts
double kayak (divorce boat )) ) double bike **********
Old 11-23-21, 10:04 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked 999 Times in 710 Posts
Polygon makes a more basic but reasonable build https://www.polygonbikes.com/product...ssion-ax-disc/
Problem with tandems is they've become stupidly expensive, for something that just has an extra crankset and cockpit they're usually well over twice the price of a similarly equipped bike. With the wife not being a rider, unless you find a used bargain, I wouldn't go much above the polygon unless you know she'll like it. Too much cheaper, and there are cheaper, and you might find the experience is darkened by pushing around overweight, inefficient crap.
Old 11-25-21, 06:30 AM
NRissy
Bike-train

Bikes: Santana Encore Tandem, Trek 3900, Marin MTB, Marin Road bike.

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 19 Posts
I would defiantly try out a tandem with your wife before buying one. Thier are lots of places where you could rent one. My local city's rec department has a cruiser style one that my wife and I rented for an afternoon. We discovered that she liked it but not enough for us to get one for her and I.
I joined a tandem facebook group; let them know I was in the market for a used tandem with a budget of $1,000 and I soon had a couple of options.
I bought a very nice tandem for myself and my boys ages 6, 3, and 6months for $700. Found a friend who had a child stoker kit and now I have a bike that will last us for a very long time; but.... I may need a triple in the future.

Introductory tandem ride.
Old 11-25-21, 07:27 AM
100bikes
Industry guy

Bikes: To many to name - I ride a custom built steel frame.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 48 Posts
Check out Peter Fluke's book - Coast to Coast on a Tandem.
A guy( and his spouse) who live the lifestyle.
Should provide a great deal of insight.
Old 12-01-21, 11:29 AM
Tony Marley

Bikes: Catrike 700; Bike Friday Llama single; Bike Friday Tandem Tuesday; Easy Racers Ti-Rush recumbent; Catrike Expedition; Rans Seavo tandem

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 29 Posts
Lots of good advice from others. Try out a tandem if possible before buying one. They are expensive and can be bulky. As far as the bulk/weight, Bike Friday makes travel tandems with 20-inch wheels that are much lighter, but still expensive.

All that said, I did a coast-to-coast ride on a tandem with my then-10 year old daughter and it was great. The advantage for the tandem is that is enables a less experienced rider ride along with / keep up with a more experienced rider. And the "captain" (normally the more experienced rider) controls the steering, shifting and braking, making it possible for a less experienced rider (including children) to safely ride on roads/highways, etc.