Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Someone tell me about these wheels, please

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-21, 11:14 PM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts

Picked up a 2001 Cannondale R1000 for my buddy for $400. It came with these seemingly dope-ass wheels. They are light as hell. But there aren’t any labels on the rims except Shimano, nor the hubs.
Pics are below:

What are these?
Old 10-11-21, 11:30 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3129 Post(s)
Liked 1,698 Times in 1,026 Posts
What do you mean? They’re marked as Shimano WH 7700…Dura Ace series launched in mid-‘90s.
Old 10-11-21, 11:36 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 432 Posts
WOAH!, Classic Wheelset ! and from what I heard from guys who've owned - a super wheelset, performance wise...
'turn of the century', inverted/paired spokes, super durable rims, fast for that period... great shimano wheel design.
I never had a chance to ride them, but they do have a great reputation... but I do have a spoke wrench that will fit them... LOL!
swap your buddy for them !
Ride On
Yuri
Old 10-12-21, 05:34 AM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1939 Post(s)
Liked 1,463 Times in 1,012 Posts
No need to swipe your buddy's wheels if you are really into the paired spokes design; Rolf Prima also makes similar looking wheels:

Road Wheels – Rolf Prima
Old 10-12-21, 06:58 AM
bblair

Bikes: Lynskey R230, Trek 5200, 1975 Raleigh Pro, 1973 Falcon ,Trek T50 Tandem and a 1968 Paramount in progress.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 379 Post(s)
Liked 392 Times in 232 Posts
I had those exact wheels on my Trek 5200, circa 2000 or so. Rode them for many years but they eventually developed cracks in the rim. The freehub body was rebuilt/replaced a few times and once left me stranded in the middle of a ride. Fortunately, my brother was with me and rode back to the car and rescued me. Still have 'em, sitting unused in m basement.
Old 10-12-21, 09:40 AM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
thanks for the info. I won't be nabbing them - they won't fit my '87 Cilo - and we bought the bike together and has had it with him since, and we're just now starting to work on it. So he'd know if they suddenly changed haha!

Quick question - we had an absolute hell of a time trying to get the old (cracked and worn) tires off. We ended up having to cut the rubber and bead with a utility knife. I had a very similar issue with the older Mavic wheels on my Cilo, fought endlessly to get the old tires off from the previous owner and then couldn't mount my own new tires. The mechanics forum said it was because the standard rim tape was too thick and I needed to order extra thin rim tape and sure enough that made the difference.

Is it safe to assume that might be happening here as well?
Old 10-12-21, 10:52 AM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1939 Post(s)
Liked 1,463 Times in 1,012 Posts
Originally Posted by the sci guy
thanks for the info. I won't be nabbing them - they won't fit my '87 Cilo - and we bought the bike together and has had it with him since, and we're just now starting to work on it. So he'd know if they suddenly changed haha!

Quick question - we had an absolute hell of a time trying to get the old (cracked and worn) tires off. We ended up having to cut the rubber and bead with a utility knife. I had a very similar issue with the older Mavic wheels on my Cilo, fought endlessly to get the old tires off from the previous owner and then couldn't mount my own new tires. The mechanics forum said it was because the standard rim tape was too thick and I needed to order extra thin rim tape and sure enough that made the difference.

Is it safe to assume that might be happening here as well?
Did you try using plastic tire levers or a bead jack (Amazon.com: Kool Stop Tire Bead Jack, Black : Tools & Home Improvement)? Maybe the really old tire just hardened over time and the rubber lost what little elasticity it had to begin with.