Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Dogs unleashed

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Dogs unleashed

Old 10-12-21, 07:49 AM
  #26  
prj71
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: North Central Wisconsin
Posts: 2,899
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1646 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by nycphotography View Post
Since your community works together so well there must not be any leash laws since circumstances just never existed that would inspire them. Right?
Same here on my trails in my community. There are no leash laws. People ride with dogs all the time and nobody dies or gets hurt. The trail dogs are all friendly.

As I mentioned earlier...A responsible owner isn't going to take their dog on the trail if the possibility exists that it will be aggressive with people.

Last edited by prj71; 10-12-21 at 10:58 AM.
prj71 is offline  
Old 10-12-21, 08:23 AM
  #27  
billnuke1 
Senior Member
 
billnuke1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: the "Cape"
Posts: 1,778

Bikes: Only my riders left...

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked 450 Times in 260 Posts
I’m getting so tired of being told that I need to chill and take the onus off of the pet owner, the parent, the e-bike rider, etc., the one person who should have complete control over the introduced element!
Everybody is a responsible rider, pet owner, parent, etc., until they aren’t!
I watched a responsible adult on roller blades, helmet, knee pads, gloves with nice wrist, palm pucks, get taken out by an dog that was clearly not completely under the owner lady’s control! She actually had two matching dogs…she was just able to reel the dogs in before Cujo One and Two went in for the kill…
She insisted that her dogs had “never done that before!”
Well. They didn’t…till they did!
It’s curious…the dogs didn’t take responsibility for their actions…
billnuke1 is offline  
Old 10-12-21, 08:24 AM
  #28  
Happy Feet
Senior Member
 
Happy Feet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Left Coast, Canada
Posts: 5,067
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2203 Post(s)
Liked 1,244 Times in 676 Posts
Originally Posted by nycphotography View Post
Since your community works together so well there must not be any leash laws since circumstances just never existed that would inspire them. Right?
People don't refer to leash laws as a weapon to use against their neighbours because, in general, they feel no need to. They get along.
As I said before. Laws only become a necessary tool when people no longer govern themselves. All of my comments have been in regards to governing oneself.
I can see how that is confusing to people who need laws to regulate behavior.
Happy Feet is offline  
Old 10-12-21, 08:34 AM
  #29  
Happy Feet
Senior Member
 
Happy Feet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Left Coast, Canada
Posts: 5,067
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2203 Post(s)
Liked 1,244 Times in 676 Posts
Originally Posted by billnuke1 View Post
I’m getting so tired of being told that I need to chill and take the onus off of the pet owner, the parent, the e-bike rider, etc., the one person who should have complete control over the introduced element!
Everybody is a responsible rider, pet owner, parent, etc., until they aren’t!
I watched a responsible adult on roller blades, helmet, knee pads, gloves with nice wrist, palm pucks, get taken out by an dog that was clearly not completely under the owner lady’s control! She actually had two matching dogs…she was just able to reel the dogs in before Cujo One and Two went in for the kill…
She insisted that her dogs had “never done that before!”
Well. They didn’t…till they did!
It’s curious…the dogs didn’t take responsibility for their actions…
Was this person roller blading on a mountain bike trail? Pretty sure that's what we are talking about.

If not, and it was say, a MUP in a populated area, you are just as likely to get taken out by a five year old learning to ride their bike on a MUP who turns left when they shouldn't, or a jogger with their ear buds in, or entitled walkers who think they should take over the whole width of the MUP in order to walk side by side. I have already said that dogs in populated areas should be on leash though, in case that point was missed. That would be the responsible thing. On mountain bike trails however you are far more likely to get taken out by novice riders who don't know trail etiquette and stop around blind corners, enter trails without checking etc... Not by well behaved trail dogs.

But more directly to the point: the person had their dog on a leash, apparently in compliance with the law. They were doing what was legally required. This is a pretty good example where personal responsibility works better than law. If she had been personally responsible that probably wouldn't have happened. In adult dogs that behavior likely wasn't for the first time and she would have though of that potentiality. Instead, she put the dogs on leash as was legally required and gave no more thought to her responsibility.

Now you have to make another law.

Last edited by Happy Feet; 10-12-21 at 08:53 AM.
Happy Feet is offline  
Old 10-12-21, 08:51 AM
  #30  
billnuke1 
Senior Member
 
billnuke1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: the "Cape"
Posts: 1,778

Bikes: Only my riders left...

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked 450 Times in 260 Posts
Check out the lists of dogs that are not allowed at camp grounds, certain communities, etc…not the dog’s fault!
The “animal” looks up to the, “pack leader”, ostensibly, “the owner”, or, the, “lead, follow, or get out of the way”, entity…to see what is going to happen…their responsibility is to, “the pack…”
My first thought when I see one person walking a brace of, “A personality”, dogs or what we used to call, “Mutts”, is there should be one person in control for every dog…
“Pack mentality”, happens…in animals and in humans…
Whew…
billnuke1 is offline  
Old 10-12-21, 09:11 AM
  #31  
billnuke1 
Senior Member
 
billnuke1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: the "Cape"
Posts: 1,778

Bikes: Only my riders left...

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked 450 Times in 260 Posts
Yup! I have watched parents, blankly, watch, the aforementioned child, swim up stream, forty feet away from the responsible adult, who then gets aggressive when you yell to them, at them to watch their child!
I used to have to contend with dangerous, “My child and I are skiing here”, behavior when skiing, too! Parents are actually running defense 50 to 100 feet behind their, “first time ever on skis”, child on the, “Double Black Diamond+++” trail!
I cannot adequately describe that behavior! Some of you have been there, I’m sure. You really had to have been there!

Last edited by billnuke1; 10-12-21 at 11:10 AM. Reason: Words…punctuation, etc…
billnuke1 is offline  
Old 10-12-21, 10:58 AM
  #32  
nycphotography
NYC
 
nycphotography's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,703
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1153 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71 View Post
Same here on my trails in my community. There are no leash laws.

A responsible owner isn't going to take their dog on the trail if the possibility exists that it will be aggressive with people.
And a responsible parent won't take their phobic demon spawn, er, I mean precious child, on a trail that doesn't have leash laws.
nycphotography is offline  
Old 10-12-21, 11:03 AM
  #33  
prj71
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: North Central Wisconsin
Posts: 2,899
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1646 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by Happy Feet View Post
...you are just as likely to get taken out by a five year old learning to ride their bike on a MUP who turns left when they shouldn't, or a jogger with their ear buds in, or entitled walkers who think they should take over the whole width of the MUP in order to walk side by side.
I've had more problems with all of these examples on my road bike than I've ever had with a dog on an MUP or trail. Darn kids (without parents along) on the MUP never pay attention and the kids that have parents along it's a 50/50 chance on whether they are paying attention to their kids because they are too busy flapping their snoodle with their friend or significant other.
prj71 is offline  
Old 10-12-21, 11:11 AM
  #34  
billnuke1 
Senior Member
 
billnuke1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: the "Cape"
Posts: 1,778

Bikes: Only my riders left...

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked 450 Times in 260 Posts
!

Originally Posted by Happy Feet View Post
Was this person roller blading on a mountain bike trail? Pretty sure that's what we are talking about.

If not, and it was say, a MUP in a populated area, you are just as likely to get taken out by a five year old learning to ride their bike on a MUP who turns left when they shouldn't, or a jogger with their ear buds in, or entitled walkers who think they should take over the whole width of the MUP in order to walk side by side. I have already said that dogs in populated areas should be on leash though, in case that point was missed. That would be the responsible thing. On mountain bike trails however you are far more likely to get taken out by novice riders who don't know trail etiquette and stop around blind corners, enter trails without checking etc... Not by well behaved trail dogs.

But more directly to the point: the person had their dog on a leash, apparently in compliance with the law. They were doing what was legally required. This is a pretty good example where personal responsibility works better than law. If she had been personally responsible that probably wouldn't have happened. In adult dogs that behavior likely wasn't for the first time and she would have though of that potentiality. Instead, she put the dogs on leash as was legally required and gave no more thought to her responsibility.

Now you have to make another law.
Shining Sea Bike Path..
billnuke1 is offline  
Old 10-12-21, 10:34 PM
  #35  
SkinGriz
Do cats eat bats?
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: LA
Posts: 584

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 307 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 182 Posts
SkinGriz is offline  
Old 10-13-21, 07:23 AM
  #36  
prj71
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: North Central Wisconsin
Posts: 2,899
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1646 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 254 Posts
Guys,

The OP hasn't been back on this forum since 10/1/21. I don't think he liked the answers.
prj71 is offline  
Old 10-13-21, 07:45 AM
  #37  
ClydeClydeson
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 967
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 280 Posts
If someone is afraid of my goofy yellow dog, that's a conversation to have with a therapist, not me or my dog or the by-law officers. OP sounds like he is humoring his precious little urchin because it positions him as the big protector, while getting the young girl some help would actually empower her in the future.
ClydeClydeson is online now  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.