Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

how about this dumb question about grease.....

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 10-16-21, 05:16 PM
scale

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

I have one those fancy small grease guns like Park Tool sells.....(the gg-1). I run park grease in it out f my tub of grease. i recently ran into another grease gun.....that i got for free. What would you fill this with knowing you already have a tool filled with bike specific park grease/

What is everyones go to grease for reabuilds and servicing...

Id rather stay away from the mobile one or that crap red and tacky stuff.........as both appear to turn to liquid garbage from sitting. Im looking for recommendations that wont break down and turn into a nightmare to clean up in my toolbox or in my bikes...
Old 10-16-21, 05:34 PM
holytrousers
hoppipola

Bikes: fausto coppi

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 163 Posts
there is no such thing as bike specific grease. That's only marketing. Just fill it with another type of grease, thicker or thinner, with additives or without, whatever..
Likes For holytrousers:
Old 10-16-21, 05:37 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1557 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 971 Posts
My tube of Phil Wood grease has separated after sitting for less than a year. And I live in a temperate zone here in San Jose, CA. In fact the Phil Wood grease also says it’s made in San Jose, CA on it. Terroir and everything.

Whereas a cheap can of generic grease has sat in my same garage for at least a dozen years and has not separated or changed in any way.

I still like the Phil Wood grease for its light and slick feel but I am not under any illusion that it will outlast generic grease.
Likes For icemilkcoffee:
Old 10-16-21, 05:37 PM
canopus 

Bikes: Road, Touring, BMX, Cruisers...

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 111 Posts

Me on a grease discussion.
1984 Trek 760
1981 Trek 710
Pics
Likes For canopus:
Old 10-16-21, 06:08 PM
sovende

Bikes: TNTL (Too numerous to list)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 115 Posts
I’ve been using the Park brand PPL-2 bearing grease for a long time. I’m still on my first tub. If my plan to do a bunch of bearing repacking this Winter actually happens, it’s possible that I may finish off the tub. Not so sure that I’ll be paying a premium price for the Park product and may just get some basic waterproof bearing grease from the auto parts store.
Old 10-16-21, 06:29 PM
scale

Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Ive been through a few tubs of park grease and a few tubes of phil. Never impressed with the phil actually but never had it seperate on me.

I know red and tacky is garbage. Ive had chassis grease tubes leak all over based on that trash despite that being favored by many automotive guys.

I like that a simple question caused one guy to blow his brains out. Thats helpful.

Sounds like next time im at farm and fleet...just grab any tub of cheap stuff then...
Old 10-16-21, 06:58 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
My tube of Phil Wood grease has separated after sitting for less than a year. And I live in a temperate zone here in San Jose, CA. In fact the Phil Wood grease also says it’s made in San Jose, CA on it......

I still like the Phil Wood grease for its light and slick feel but I am not under any illusion that it will outlast generic grease.
I have a 640 gm tub of Phil Grease about 3/4 used up, that I've had for at least 10 years and use it to refill my Dualco grease guns. It's been stored in my garage all that time, hot in the summer and cold in the winter, and shows absolutely no signs of separation. I also have a couple of nearly empty 3-oz tubes of Phil Grease that came along with a used bike I bought in 1998 and they are also still in good condition. I don't know what happened to yours but my experience with Phils is very different.
Old 10-16-21, 09:12 PM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by scale
I have one those fancy small grease guns like Park Tool sells.....(the gg-1). I run park grease in it out f my tub of grease. i recently ran into another grease gun.....that i got for free. What would you fill this with knowing you already have a tool filled with bike specific park grease/

Id rather stay away from the mobile one or that crap red and tacky stuff.........as both appear to turn to liquid garbage from sitting. Im looking for recommendations that wont break down and turn into a nightmare to clean up in my toolbox or in my bikes...
grease is grease - cycling puts such little demand on grease that just about any will do. I used the same tub of Quaker State red stuff for ~20 years, finally replacing it because I wanted pristine grease for regreasing the hub bearings in my old car. Grease is grease.
Old 10-16-21, 09:50 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 949 Post(s)
Liked 1,617 Times in 1,038 Posts
Originally Posted by zandoval
I need only one grease. The one I'll use for my car and my boat and my trailer, and my mower, and my porch swing, and my loppers, and my weed eater, and my floor jack, and my bicycles...

Marine Grease Please

(Lucas if I want the expensive stuff)...
Originally Posted by Juan el Boricua

this one (or whatever marine grease is cheapest ATM).
Yep...
Old 10-16-21, 10:55 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked 2,162 Times in 1,321 Posts
I basically use Phil’s or Finish Line Teflon depending on purely unscientific and unsupported biases for the application of each.

John
Old 10-16-21, 11:47 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts

All grease separates. Grease is oil mixed with a thickener.

Oil bleed on your workbench is probably irrelevant to how that grease would perform in a bike, as the bearings would just mix the oil back in as soon as you ride again.

Maybe just store the grease differently? Like in a milk jug cut in half?

In general I don’t store POL in a toolbox. I’ve made exceptions for Superlube because it comes in a tube that seals well… but definitely has some separation if left alone for awhile.
Old 10-17-21, 07:56 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,058 Times in 742 Posts
As mentioned above I also just use cheap Marine Grease and it seems many others on this forum do too. I use it on bearings, corrosion protection for screw threads, metal seatposts/frames, clamping surfaces, etc. Also if the grease you have starts to separate you can just stir it up to make it new again so no need to throw it away. Most greases are fine for bike use. Don't get too caught up in the "what's the best" debate. You can do a search for explanations of greases with plenty of headache inducing articles if you really want to get an understanding of what's in different greases and what ingredients work best in different situations.
Old 10-18-21, 12:37 AM
JoeTBM 
Droid on a mission

Bikes: Diamondback Wildwood Classic

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 280 Times in 195 Posts
We use the Red & Tacky in the grease gun. The1 lb tub lasts about a year

Likes For JoeTBM:
Old 10-18-21, 07:59 AM
leob1

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
I use Park grease, because my wife got me a tube a few years ago for Christmas. Before that I used marine trailer bearing grease, the red stuff, Lubriplate, it really doesn't matter as long as you use waterproof grease(I learned the hard way).
Bicycle use doesn't stress the grease that much, so almost anything will do. And with the increased use of sealed bearings, there are few things that need grease on a regular basis.
Old 10-18-21, 08:41 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4217 Post(s)
Liked 2,940 Times in 1,800 Posts
Ive been through a few tubs of park grease and a few tubes of phil. Never impressed with the phil actually but never had it seperate on me.

I know red and tacky is garbage. Ive had chassis grease tubes leak all over based on that trash despite that being favored by many automotive guys.

I like that a simple question caused one guy to blow his brains out. Thats helpful.

Sounds like next time im at farm and fleet...just grab any tub of cheap stuff then...
I like marine axle grease. The tub I have is the same color and consistency as the Park stuff but maybe 1/4 the cost. Don't know if it's the same stuff or not, but it works well for me.
Old 10-18-21, 09:28 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6163 Post(s)
Liked 4,779 Times in 3,297 Posts
I wouldn't put anything in it until you know what other grease you might need....often.

Some pawls in freehubs might need a very light grease. But how often are you going to be lubing the pawls in a freehub? I've never had to do that. Not even on freewheels I had for many years.

So save it till you know you have need for another type grease. Then it can also be a spare incase your other breaks.
Old 10-20-21, 11:00 AM
davidad

Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
Since everybody has an A...Hole and an opinion, here is mine. I use Lubriplate EMB synthetic. I bought it at a bearing store next to the refinery where I was employed. At the time I didn't know much about grease and took their word for it. It isn't expensive and works on my hub bearings and on the bearings in my freehub bodies. The EMB stands for electric motor bearing and they turn a little faster than ours and have slightly higher loads.
Lubriplate EMB Grease / 14.5 oz. cartridge (totallybelted.com)