Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Shimano rear derailleur cable help needed

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-21, 02:11 PM
beb123

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I need to replace the shift cable on my Shimano Ultegra rear derailleur and I'm not sure if it's run correctly. I had replaced it a year or so ago and when in the highest gear there is quite a sharp angle between where it comes out of the adjusting barrel and where it is anchored. This has led to the cable fraying. Is this normal? Sorry I can't post a photo as I'm new here...
Old 10-17-21, 02:41 PM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by beb123
I need to replace the shift cable on my Shimano Ultegra rear derailleur and I'm not sure if it's run correctly. I had replaced it a year or so ago and when in the highest gear there is quite a sharp angle between where it comes out of the adjusting barrel and where it is anchored. This has led to the cable fraying. Is this normal? Sorry I can't post a photo as I'm new here...
given that the anchor point moves wrt the adjusting barrel, it’s not going to exit cleanly from the barrel all the time. For some gears there will be an angle. A pic will help, but if the gears shift cleanly and accurately, then the chances are that your cable is routed correctly
Old 10-17-21, 02:44 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,061 Times in 745 Posts
Do a search for the Shimano derailleur owners manual. It will show the proper routing of your cable. You need to know what version of Ultegra you have though. 6500.6600, etc.
Old 10-17-21, 02:58 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
It's most likely correct, they made a special ferrule for that end of the housing that had a little tube coming out for an inch or so that reduced the friction of the cable against the derailleur. Just takes longer to fray and fail.
Old 10-17-21, 03:21 PM
KCT1986

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked 320 Times in 234 Posts
There should be a groove, or arrow on newer models, on the pinch bolt mounting point to indicate which side the cable should go.

Note that the older RDs have a smaller distance between the cable exit point and pinch bolt than the newer models. If you compare to a SRAM X series, the older RDs' point is also likely closer.

Last edited by KCT1986; 10-17-21 at 04:12 PM.
Old 10-17-21, 06:04 PM
cobba

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 53 Posts
Sorry I can't post a photo as I'm new here...
Found your derailleur photo .

https://bikeforums.net/g/picture/22809962
Old 10-18-21, 11:35 AM
beb123

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=cobba;22273544]Found your derailleur photo .

Yes that's it! Is that normal?
Old 10-18-21, 01:04 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
That's unfortunately normal. My last post wasn't entirely correct. There is a little plastic tube that comes out of the barrel adjuster and keeps the cable from rubbing directly on the derailleur. It's not actually part of the ferrule. The part # is: Y5XX38000 Cover with tongue.
Old 10-18-21, 02:09 PM
KCT1986

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked 320 Times in 234 Posts
[QUOTE=beb123;22274324]
Originally Posted by cobba
Found your derailleur photo .

Yes that's it! Is that normal?
Is your RD the RD-6800 GS (mid-cage for triple crankset)?
If so, couple of issues; 1. as mentioned above, there should be an insert between the cable adjuster barrel and the exit point. See the Shimano tech doc. (Exploded view). Easy to find, do a web search.

2. Double check routing at the pinch bolt for an arrow marking for cable routing. The RD-6800 strangely uses different sides of the bolt for SS and GS. The routing in the photo is for SS. See the Shimano tech doc. (DM Dealers manual).