Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Fausto Coppi by Carreri CANTU

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Fausto Coppi by Carreri CANTU

Old 10-18-21, 12:38 PM
fabiofarelli

Bikes: Especialy Alan, but also Empella, Cascarsi, Gazelle, Bianchi, CJV, Sirocco, Berkers etcetera

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 997 Times in 355 Posts
Originally Posted by holytrousers
Do you think they all come from the same frame builder ?
Fiorelli was earlier and I'm not familiar with Technocrat-build Coppi's.
Are the others, the 'by Masciaghi' all build at the same builder? I don't know but what I know is, many big brands had subcontractors who build frames for the big brand. Colnago is a well-known example. Also occurred big names were contracted for building teamframes. Some Belgian framebuilders are very clear, they build for Italian brands. I saw real Colnago-lugs from a Belgian builder. And Eddy Martens, from Belgium too, build Coppi for Fiorelli.
So, no clear answer. But how important is it? You got a real nice Coppi (by Masciaghi and who knows ..).
Old 10-18-21, 12:45 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3463 Post(s)
Liked 2,826 Times in 1,994 Posts
Originally Posted by gearbasher
Just thought I'd throw this into the discussion. I saw a newer Guerciotti Record on Ebay about two years ago. The seller said he bought it new with some scratches in the paint. So, he had it powder coated and when they blasted the paint off, it turned out that it had a Coppi pantoed BB shell that was filled in with a bondo-like filler. Everything else was pantoed Guerciotti. I guess the contractor used what was available.
Cottage Industry- there is an Italian Confente with a Masi M cutout bottom bracket shell. Early version of the spade cutouts elsewhere.
Prompted me to reference my Coppi. Assumed from 1968 and that still fits or before Ole Ritter's hour record was eclipsed by Eddy. There is a graphic attesting to the achievement. In that "rights" thing, no mention of Ritter, just the distance attained.
Done in Mexico. Track time courtesy of the FCI as it was just prior to the Olympics.
Old 10-18-21, 06:32 PM
holytrousers
hoppipola

Bikes: fausto coppi

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by fabiofarelli
Fiorelli was earlier and I'm not familiar with Technocrat-build Coppi's.
Are the others, the 'by Masciaghi' all build at the same builder? I don't know but what I know is, many big brands had subcontractors who build frames for the big brand. Colnago is a well-known example. Also occurred big names were contracted for building teamframes. Some Belgian framebuilders are very clear, they build for Italian brands. I saw real Colnago-lugs from a Belgian builder. And Eddy Martens, from Belgium too, build Coppi for Fiorelli.
So, no clear answer. But how important is it? You got a real nice Coppi (by Masciaghi and who knows ..).
Thanks, i was really intrigued by this bicycle and wanted to know more about it, because i haven't found any pictures on the internet similar to it.
Cheers to all of you for participating in this encyclopedic effort about some old bicycle found in some remote corner of the world.
Old 10-23-23, 09:06 AM
look566 rider

Bikes: Waterford R33, 2019 Infinito, Gunnar Roadie, 1999 Colnago Tecnos, '04 Cannondale Optimo 800 & '51 Rudge Sports, Colnago Tecnos, Tom Kellogg Merlin..

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 140 Times in 41 Posts
Good day,

Adding to this thread since have similar needs! Attached pics show NOS Fausto Coppi I recently acquired. None of the threaded bits have been cleaned or chased. Believe this to be 1990s build, 1996 or so? Whom made these during this period?

My need is this frame does not have a serial number. Did come with many pantographed parts, see pics. So were they built without serial numbers? Pics are as bought prior to clean up. Plan on resto mod built with last Gen silver Campy Athena 11 speed and silver Mavic Ksyrium wheelset.

Updates! May have found serial number, on inside of drop outs I see 1116 stamped on inside of both drops.

Further looking during clean up reveals number stamped into BB shell. Paint is so thick very hard to see or read. Appears to be 96?7

Last edited by look566 rider; 10-23-23 at 09:24 AM.