Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

What bike is this? (Wes Anderson trailer)

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

What bike is this? (Wes Anderson trailer)

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-20, 11:42 AM
zjrog

Bikes: 1986 KHS Fiero, 1989 Trek 950, 1990 Trek 7000, 1991 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, 1992 Trek 1400, 1997 Cannondale CAD2 R300, 1998 Cannondale CAD2 R200, 2002 Marin San Rafael, 2006 Cannondale CAAD8 R1000, 2010 Performance Access XCL9R

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 385 Times in 207 Posts
And here I was concentrating on the tiny hamlet of Liberty, KS, not far from Independence where my Bride of 36 years is from. And no bigger than the tiny hamlet west of Independence where my Mom hailed from. I do love that part of the country so... Long overdue for a cycling adventure through...

Not always a fan of "Avant Garde" cinema, I am a fan of Owen Wilson and Bill Murray, so perhaps I shall seek this movie out...
Likes For zjrog:
Old 02-18-20, 12:22 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3883 Post(s)
Liked 6,476 Times in 3,205 Posts
Originally Posted by Wonka
After searching... I've been in talks with a Portuguese vintage bike vendor...
Is he the one with the original LCF engravings needed to contact Satan? Be extremely careful. It didn't work out so well for the baroness...

[Pardon me if I've gotten my films confused.]
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 03-26-20, 03:21 AM
CMAW 
Pining for the fjords

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 150 Posts
Couldn't help but posting this, sorry. The bike's somewhere in there as well.

Likes For CMAW:
Old 04-12-20, 03:52 PM
Wonka

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by CMAW
Couldn't help but posting this, sorry. The bike's somewhere in there as well.

WA's SD
I never got a notifcation for this post! But that's amazing, haha..

On another note: how important would sizing be on a bike like this? I'm guessing not as important as a full on race bike. I've found a couple of good alternatives but they're around 55-56cm and I'm 183cm (6'0) tall. Would it work?
Old 04-12-20, 05:05 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4510 Post(s)
Liked 6,377 Times in 3,667 Posts
I never got a notifcation for this post! But that's amazing, haha..

On another note: how important would sizing be on a bike like this? I'm guessing not as important as a full on race bike. I've found a couple of good alternatives but they're around 55-56cm and I'm 183cm (6'0) tall. Would it work?
Sizing can be the single most important thing on any kind of bike that you plan to actually ride, always at the top of the list.
Old 04-12-20, 05:15 PM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 973 Post(s)
Liked 511 Times in 351 Posts
I don't think I could take watching a whole Wes Anderson movie. Youtube clips, sure.

I really like the Accidental Wes Anderson twitter feed! Inventive. (The poeple posting actual movie images don't quite get it...)

Like this one. On closer inspection: Nooo, it's slightly off center!

~~~~~
IDing the bike:
If they really needed multiple copies, the bike could be a set of new custom built bikes? I suppose it depends on how the bike is used in the movie, where it could get damaged.

Last edited by rm -rf; 04-12-20 at 05:23 PM.
Likes For rm -rf:
Old 04-12-20, 05:45 PM
uncle uncle

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 140 Posts
I think the head badge is the key... there may be enough of a logo there to identify the maker. So far, per my investigation, Manufrance Hirondelle is out.
(I am a bit concerned about how much stem he has showing...)

https://www.etsy.com/listing/6301908...SABEgLOI_D_BwE

Last edited by uncle uncle; 04-12-20 at 07:42 PM.
Old 04-12-20, 06:42 PM
Wonka

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by merziac
Sizing can be the single most important thing on any kind of bike that you plan to actually ride, always at the top of the list.
I realize it's important, but is it as important on a randonneur as a race bike?

I guess my question is.. would I be stupid to order a 56cm bike if I don't know what I'm looking for? As I stated, this is my first bike of this kind so I don't really have any preferences yet.
Old 04-12-20, 08:18 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4510 Post(s)
Liked 6,377 Times in 3,667 Posts
I realize it's important, but is it as important on a randonneur as a race bike?

I guess my question is.. would I be stupid to order a 56cm bike if I don't know what I'm looking for? As I stated, this is my first bike of this kind so I don't really have any preferences yet.
Probably more so on a randonneur since you will spend more time in the saddle and possibly loaded to some degree, either way fit is critical and not a simple ask.

I would encourage you to drill down on fitting and sizing, consider getting a formal one and compare it to your other bikes to get a good conversion sense.

Talk to a couple of builders, test ride several examples and keep asking questions here.

If you are going to get a new bike that is that different than what you are used too, it may take awhile to settle into a very different animal.
Likes For merziac:
Old 04-12-20, 08:52 PM
MauriceMoss

Bikes: None in ridable condition

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked 644 Times in 192 Posts
It's hard to tell form the low res images but, if the paint and decals are original, it is most likely a randonneuse that's badged Manufrance (although there were similar ones badged as Hirondelle and Poulidor).

Manufrance did that odd, low-contrast, orange-on-orange (or is it red-on-orange?) decal/paint color scheme. The tricolore bands on either side of the seat tube decal, top tube cable guides on the side, fork crown, all seem to match.

Something like this:

A similar, Hirondelle branded one:

Likes For MauriceMoss:
Old 04-14-20, 01:44 PM
Wonka

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by MauriceMoss
It's hard to tell form the low res images but, if the paint and decals are original, it is most likely a randonneuse that's badged Manufrance (although there were similar ones badged as Hirondelle and Poulidor).

Manufrance did that odd, low-contrast, orange-on-orange (or is it red-on-orange?) decal/paint color scheme. The tricolore bands on either side of the seat tube decal, top tube cable guides on the side, fork crown, all seem to match.

Something like this:

[PICTURES]

​​​​​​​Amazing info, thank you!
Old 04-14-20, 03:06 PM
Piff 

Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 753 Times in 410 Posts
Originally Posted by rm -rf
I don't think I could take watching a whole Wes Anderson movie. Youtube clips, sure.
If you want to try one, I'd recommend his first, Bottle Rocket. It's the least stilted and consciously "Anderson-esque" of all his films because he hadn't fully crystallized his style. It's still a bunch of adults acting as children, tongue firmly in cheek, though!

I especially like the ending of it. Sometimes his resolutions, though never 'happily-ever-after', are too cleanly tied up to the point of being too fantastical, even if his movies basically live in a world of fantasy-lite. I feel like Bottle Rocket avoids this misstep with Owen Wilson's final facial expression.
Old 04-14-20, 03:46 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2297 Post(s)
Liked 2,054 Times in 1,254 Posts
How about a Wes Anderson/Jim Jarmusch double bill.
Excitement times two.
Old 04-17-20, 05:37 PM
Wonka

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Something like this:

[Pictures]

[Picture]
While I'm at it and since you said you used italics, I have to ask: are there any particular characteristics that make a randonneur and a randonneuse differ from eachother?
I'm guessing randonneuse is the 'female version' of the word, so is it a ladies bike? If so, how can you tell? The only thing I've noticed by googling is the shorter rear rack on some of the randonneuses but I'm not sure that says anything at all.
Old 04-18-20, 02:34 AM
MauriceMoss

Bikes: None in ridable condition

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked 644 Times in 192 Posts
While I'm at it and since you said you used italics, I have to ask: are there any particular characteristics that make a randonneur and a randonneuse differ from eachother?
I'm guessing randonneuse is the 'female version' of the word, so is it a ladies bike? If so, how can you tell? The only thing I've noticed by googling is the shorter rear rack on some of the randonneuses but I'm not sure that says anything at all.
Apologies if I introduced any confusion - didn't mean to - there isn't any difference between the two terms.
The French tend to refer to the bikes using the feminine version of the noun, so this style of bike is generally referred to as a randonneuse (if you do a search on tontonvelo.com for randonneur, for example, you get less than 2,000 hits, while randonneuse returns over 10,000 results). Randonneur seems the default term in English.
Likes For MauriceMoss:
Old 04-21-20, 04:41 AM
Wonka

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Apologies if I introduced any confusion - didn't mean to - there isn't any difference between the two terms.
The French tend to refer to the bikes using the feminine version of the noun, so this style of bike is generally referred to as a randonneuse (if you do a search on tontonvelo.com for randonneur, for example, you get less than 2,000 hits, while randonneuse returns over 10,000 results). Randonneur seems the default term in English.
Since I'm new to this I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something. Thanks again, I really appreciate the elaborate replies!
Old 10-18-21, 08:19 PM
brianinc-ville

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 40 Posts
Limited US release on Oct. 22, nationwide on Oct. 29. Get ready!

Wonka , did you ever get your dream bike?
Old 12-18-21, 11:22 AM
madsgorm

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It is a Manufrance the decal in front of the bike is definitely the Manufrance logo -
Old 02-11-22, 03:49 PM
Da Kube

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 5 Posts
Hmm, glad I'm not the only one interested in this stuff. I just saw the movie and wondered about the bike. It makes sense they're not using super rare bikes and instead building several to suit, as mentioned in the movie thread.
Old 02-11-22, 09:28 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 4,390 Times in 2,092 Posts
Originally Posted by Da Kube
Hmm, glad I'm not the only one interested in this stuff. I just saw the movie and wondered about the bike. It makes sense they're not using super rare bikes and instead building several to suit, as mentioned in the movie thread.
I'd say they probably went for the mass-produced Manufrance rando as it was cheap, had 650Bs, and at least looks passable as a constructeur when built with a Pro 5 Vis crank and not directly the focus of a shot.

P.S.: You can't tell me "Wes Anderson" without this coming to mind:

-Kurt

Old 02-11-22, 10:46 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,829 Times in 1,995 Posts
Another perspective

Old 02-11-22, 10:48 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,829 Times in 1,995 Posts
For you property masters in training- the upside down bike had front axle wing nuts, don't see those I think in the second image.
Old 02-12-22, 02:10 AM
CMAW 
Pining for the fjords

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 150 Posts
Never mind

Last edited by CMAW; 02-12-22 at 07:21 AM.