Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Frame size of a "vintage" MTB

Search
Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-17, 01:24 AM
thms

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi,
Currently I'm looking for an old rigid MTB from the 90s. The bike wouldn't be for actual mountain biking but mainly for commuting and city rides.

What I'm wondering about is the proper frame size. If I was searching for a road bike I would just look for frames that are 57 or 58 cm (~22") because I'm 182cm (6 feet) tall with an inseam of 87cm (34").

But in regards of MTBs I'm not sure. The geometry of 1990s MTBs is way more similar to hybrid or even road bikes so can I just go with the size I mentioned above? Or should I follow recent guides that say that one with my size should take a frame from 18.5 to 20" (47-51cm)?

Thanks!
Old 11-30-17, 04:14 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
off road when you have to jump off, it has to be far enough, that a foot on the down hill slope

wont hurt too much hitting your crotch the top bar

straddle the bike flat footed one hand on the saddle one hand on the bars/stem lift it straight up ,
how far off the ground are the wheels?

if a street use bike you can use a bigger one than if going off road on singletrack. NB the BB is higher than a road bike. 57-58 would be too big..
my 700c touring bike is a 57..

a sloping top tube measures shorter... 'size' being the seat tube length .. BB axis upward ...

maybe a 54? I have a level top tube Koga Trekking bike..

and an old stumpjumper it's an 18" 46cm (sloping top tube) pre suspension fork geometry..

/....

Last edited by fietsbob; 11-30-17 at 04:27 PM.
Old 11-30-17, 05:00 PM
Colnago Mixte

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
I'm 5-10", with a 32" inseam, and have found 18" MTB frames on my 90's steel Treks to be slightly too small. Way too much seat post sticking out for my tastes, close to a foot! I think with a 34" inseam, you should be looking at frames that are 19 1/2" and larger. Here is my 18" 1997 Trek Singletrack set up for me to ride:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
2IMG_0540.jpg (1.36 MB, 382 views)
Likes For Colnago Mixte:
Old 08-15-21, 07:38 PM
Bennesota

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Update OP?

I'm in a similar situation, a lanky 6'-6'1"" with a 34" inseam, and I like to stretch out my arms and lean forward. I found an 89" GT avalanche 24" that I want to convert to a town cruiser/gravel, but I'm a bike newbie and unsure of the move.
Old 08-24-21, 11:17 AM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

Bikes: Trek Verve E bike, Felt Doctrine 4 XC, Opus Horizon Apex 1

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by Bennesota
I'm in a similar situation, a lanky 6'-6'1"" with a 34" inseam, and I like to stretch out my arms and lean forward. I found an 89" GT avalanche 24" that I want to convert to a town cruiser/gravel, but I'm a bike newbie and unsure of the move.
Should be fine, but 24" seat tube is about the tallest you'd want to go. Standover could be an issue. I am 6ft3 with a 34.4" inseam and 24" for a mountain bike is about the tallest I would want to go considering that the bottom bracket on mountain bikes is higher up which therefore will impact standover clearance.

A mountain bike is an alright choice for city commuting, but should be fine for gravel depending on which tires and stem you use. I have a 21" GT Zaskar LE from 1998, that is a great bike. I was not aware that GT made anything taller than 23" for the seat tube on the xl's.