Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Carrying a small dog

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Carrying a small dog

Old 05-31-19, 01:27 PM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
Carrying a small dog

Just got a dachshund puppy and want a way to carry her on trips to the store and parks or just around the neighborhood. Fully grown will be 7-8 lbs. I have a Topeak MTX rack on several bikes which will work with a rear basket, so that is a good possibility. Topeak also makes a front basket that would be nice to keep an eye on the pup. However, I was thinking a front basket would be rougher on bumps than a rear basket. What have you used that works well and is easily removed?

https://www.rei.com/product/780119/t...tx-basket-rear
Old 05-31-19, 01:58 PM
AusTexMurf

Bikes: 2010 Origin8 CX700, 2003 Cannondale Backroads Cross Country, 1997 Trek mtn steel frame converted commuter/tourer, 1983 Univega Sportour, 2010 Surly LHT, Others...

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 12 Posts
My friends w/ small dogs that take them on bike use front baskets. You can keep your eye on your pup while young and interact with your dog while riding. Racktime products are well designed and good values. Owned by same parent company as Tubus. Most of your bikes have midpoint brazeons and cushy tires. Snapit adapter lets you easily remove the entire basket quickly and attaches securely. You can use a small blanket and have room for toys. Make it puppy friendly, maybe add some flowers....

My dog is a female Redbone Coonhound. She weighs about 75lbs and has to run beside me in low traffic situations. On the leash in trafficy situations. She used to ride in a Burley kids trailer when a pup, but no way am I lugging 100lbs behind me so that she can have a free ride.

Racktime Baskit

Racktime Topit Front Rack

Last edited by AusTexMurf; 05-31-19 at 02:09 PM. Reason: My dog....
Old 05-31-19, 03:04 PM
acidfast7
Banned

Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid / 2013 Mango FGSS

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 36 Posts
I carried a dog, my pregnant partner and often picnic stuff in a Christiania box bike (classic) and couldn't recommend it more. However, that was in Copenhagen and the bicycle infrastructure might/might not be adequate for that solution depending on your locale.

I wouldn't recommend a dog in a simple basket as the restricted space wouldn't allow them to move adequately to ensure they arrive happily.
Old 05-31-19, 03:20 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Originally Posted by alan s
Topeak also makes a front basket that would be nice to keep an eye on the pup. However, I was thinking a front basket would be rougher on bumps than a rear basket.
I find it easier to keep the front a little more bump free because I can thread the front wheel around bumps and potholes better than I can the back wheel.

I'd much prefer to have the dog in front to keep an eye on him and you can communicate with him better.
Old 05-31-19, 03:34 PM
Lucillle
Lucille

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 35 Posts
My chihuahua rides in a fabric lined front basket just a bit larger than she, but she loves riding there. I agree with others who say it is best for them to ride in front where you can see them. There are larger front baskets for bigger dogs such as the Basil Pasja, but my chi fits in the standard small front basket 10x10x15.
Old 05-31-19, 03:42 PM
alan s 

Sound like the front is better. The Racktime looks nice, but having to mount a front rack is not ideal. Any good baskets that mount to the bars only or is that not stable enough? BTW, here’s a picture of the pup, all 3 pounds of her.

Likes For alan s:
Old 05-31-19, 04:07 PM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
I use both a sling and a cycling specific foam bed secured to the rear rack. Here's a pic of me using both simultaneously to take them to the dogpark... Jack, in the sling, is 11 lbs, and Murphy, 28 lbs, is secured at multiple points, in the rear.

Last edited by Riveting; 05-31-19 at 04:12 PM.
Likes For Riveting:
Old 06-01-19, 02:04 AM
acidfast7
Banned

Wow. Nice photos guys. I must admit that I've never seen dogs in baskets where I live. I see a ton of dogs but mostly walking only.

Thanks for showing me that it's possible should I get a dogs again.
Old 06-01-19, 07:43 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 526 Posts
Originally Posted by acidfast7
Wow. Nice photos guys. I must admit that I've never seen dogs in baskets where I live. I see a ton of dogs but mostly walking only.

Thanks for showing me that it's possible should I get a dogs again.
I've seen quite a lot of small dogs in baskets, mostly front, but some in the rear. A lot of cyclists with dog trailers as well.
Old 06-01-19, 09:45 AM
acidfast7
Banned

Originally Posted by Moe Zhoost
I've seen quite a lot of small dogs in baskets, mostly front, but some in the rear. A lot of cyclists with dog trailers as well.
I probably see 50 dogs / weekend being walked along the seafront but never in a bike going to/fro the seafront. Sometimes in a pram/stroller. The island is small though, so most people just walk with dogs to the seafront. Haven't seen a single trailer on the island, even though I see probably 100-200 cyclists/weekend. I think the space is way too tight and the steps everywhere probably prevent it.

It is good to know that dogs can go in baskets though for future reference should I move again.
Old 06-01-19, 11:41 AM
alan s 

Tried the sling last night for a short ride to a restaurant and it worked, but was kind of hard to pedal. I can definitely say that a front basket would be the best option, because the pup needs to be watched. Should she be clipped in or just sitting there?
Old 06-01-19, 01:15 PM
AusTexMurf

Bikes: 2010 Origin8 CX700, 2003 Cannondale Backroads Cross Country, 1997 Trek mtn steel frame converted commuter/tourer, 1983 Univega Sportour, 2010 Surly LHT, Others...

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 12 Posts
Tried the sling last night for a short ride to a restaurant and it worked, but was kind of hard to pedal. I can definitely say that a front basket would be the best option, because the pup needs to be watched. Should she be clipped in or just sitting there?
My thought is to train the pup while young to just sit and stay there. Even if clipped in and dog jumps out, just dragging along.
Thinking train early to stay in when told is best way forward. Your dog should stay in the basket even if you get off bike or run in to the store.
Also, start training street smarts and boundaries around streets and traffic immediately.
Lots of walks on the sidewalk with correction and lots of praise for doing what is expected.
Dog (or person) doesn't know what it doesn't know.....

Last edited by AusTexMurf; 06-01-19 at 01:30 PM.
Old 06-03-19, 07:46 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Our weiner dog mix fell out of a milk crate on the back of my bike, also out of a car once. I'd like to give him credit for jumping but he was really just trying to see further. Other than that incident, it worked ok. I haven't ridden with him in a long time... I guess not since having kids.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 06-03-19, 11:39 AM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
Tried the sling last night for a short ride to a restaurant and it worked, but was kind of hard to pedal.
Yeah, my pic was a little misleading. When I'm pedaling, the sling is turned around and the pup is kind of leaning on my back. I'm considering just using a backpack instead.
Old 06-03-19, 12:33 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,399 Times in 2,510 Posts
IT PUTS THE DOG IN THE BASKET OR IT GETS THE HOSE

or wait, is that not quite how the quote went?
Old 06-03-19, 01:56 PM
Mitkraft

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
I'm too scared to ride with my dog. If I need a helmet when I ride, what's to protect him in the event of a fall or crash? He's only 6 pounds so plenty small enough but maybe I'm too paranoid?
Old 06-03-19, 02:20 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Quoted: 1764 Post(s)
Liked 1,578 Times in 910 Posts
Originally Posted by Mitkraft
I'm too scared to ride with my dog. If I need a helmet when I ride, what's to protect him in the event of a fall or crash? He's only 6 pounds so plenty small enough but maybe I'm too paranoid?
They just bounce.

My one dog freaked once & jumped out of a tricycle. The other jumped out of my pick-up. Both were tied in & got dragged until it was safe to address the situation. Dogs bodies are made of rubber & their noggins are made of rocks. But it only takes once & they'll learn pretty quick.

I probably seem pretty terrible, but life happens & they were wearing harnesses, leashed & buckled in. So it's not like I didn't do my due dilligence.

Don't be scared. Have fun. Riding with your dogs is a blast for them...and you.
Old 06-03-19, 03:37 PM
Mitkraft

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
You and I are clearly on completely different levels when it comes to care for our dogs.

Originally Posted by base2
They just bounce.

My one dog freaked once & jumped out of a tricycle. The other jumped out of my pick-up. Both were tied in & got dragged until it was safe to address the situation. Dogs bodies are made of rubber & their noggins are made of rocks. But it only takes once & they'll learn pretty quick.

I probably seem pretty terrible, but life happens & they were wearing harnesses, leashed & buckled in. So it's not like I didn't do my due dilligence.

Don't be scared. Have fun. Riding with your dogs is a blast for them...and you.
Old 06-03-19, 07:16 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Quoted: 1764 Post(s)
Liked 1,578 Times in 910 Posts
Originally Posted by Mitkraft
You and I are clearly on completely different levels when it comes to care for our dogs.
Well, I tend to treat my dogs as people. My dogs are too smart for their own good. One is a hound/beagle, but the really smart one is a husky/shepherd/cattle dog. He knows left, right, cross, stop, in, out, up, off, back, how to open doors, operate light switches, open drawers, sit, stay, speak, quiet, shake, and how to read the minute hand on the clock for dinner (which is always a thing week or 2 for daylight saving time...& he'll look at me, then the clock & back) Among other things he knows which "thing" to do outside when commanded. They do things like ask to go outside & sit at the car door. Or hop in the bath tub when grubby & wait for you to turn on the water or hop in the tricycle basket with their leash. Of course, who could forget the difference between breaksast, supper, dinner, & treat? They'll prompt bed time at 8:30pm & get you up for work at 4:30am if the alarm fails. They know the driver seat is mine & to only enter the car through the hatchback. They self arrange sharing of the front passenger seat on a per stop basis, (when I had 3 dogs they would rotate) & they know I am the first one out of the car and to not come near my lap while I drive.

They have a pretty impressive vocabulary & range of learned behaviours when you think about it. I go to friends houses & meet their dogs...Well, they're "nice."

No worries. Dogs are fun. I've had many. As long as they know with out any doubt you are in charge, consistant, loving...They feel secure & needed, there's no end to their capacity. I think a lot of "pet" owners sell them short, but that's none of my business really.

Dogs are relationships.

Last edited by base2; 06-03-19 at 07:30 PM.
Old 06-03-19, 10:02 PM
jade408

Bikes: Working on replacing my stolen Soma Buena Vista Mixte

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 44 Posts
My coworker uses a dog carrier backpack.
Old 06-04-19, 03:13 PM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
There's a guy here (and I can't ever remember his name when this comes up) who carries his dog Bailey in a trailer. Bailey seems to like it too, and is safely contained in the trailer. Bailey's driver is mentioned on his avatar, I hope he sees this.

It's @2manybikes

Last edited by no motor?; 06-04-19 at 05:16 PM.
Old 06-04-19, 06:29 PM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
Originally Posted by no motor?
There's a guy here (and I can't ever remember his name when this comes up) who carries his dog Bailey in a trailer. Bailey seems to like it too, and is safely contained in the trailer. Bailey's driver is mentioned on his avatar, I hope he sees this.

It's @2manybikes
He's in the basket of the adult upright trike. He is always wearing a harness and clipped in the middle of his chest on the harness to a ring in the middle of the basket. He can't get out. Any dog should be strapped into whatever basket they are in. I will now try to find some good photos of the trike.

Also ~ Jingles the dachshund rides in his dog specific wicker basket with a cage type top cover on the back of his drivers recumbent trike.I'll come back here later, I'll see if I can find those photos too.. Google "Dog bicycle basket.

or other close wording, the basket was bought on line.
Attached Images
Old 06-04-19, 07:48 PM
2manybikes

More recent photos...food, water, coffee, tools, leash, jacket, etc. Below is the
current set up. Water right, loading ramp folded left. I can't pick him up I have a bad back.

Likes For 2manybikes:
Old 06-04-19, 08:15 PM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
That's what I meant, somehow I remembered you using a trailer.
Old 06-04-19, 08:17 PM
2manybikes

Likes For 2manybikes:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.