Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

winter tires

Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

winter tires

Old 03-29-21, 07:10 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 580 Times in 398 Posts
Originally Posted by Pugs2xLove
With that said, with the studs falling out/breaking off, will this cause air loss or tire deflation or can you still ride on these tires?
As I mentioned, after a season or two I have placed "Mr. Tuffy" tire liners in the Marathon Winters to prevent studs perforating the tire's carcass from causing flats. I haven't had any flats, and I've been getting an additional season or two out of each tire.
On a "technique" note, I have been holding the liners in the tires with double-sided foam tape rated for "outdoor" use. Any double-sided tape would probably be OK, as its only function is to hold the liner in place while the tire is mounted. Eight (8) one-inch strips are sufficient, and this makes the mounting of the tire a whole lot less awkward.
Heh... on review, I seem to have renewed my membership in the Department of Redundancy Department.
Likes For sweeks:
Old 07-31-21, 08:01 AM
parkbrav

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 97 Posts
Just a friendly on-topic bump, I saw a 50% off deal on studded tires just now, this may be roughly the time of year to start looking around for deals on winter tires while they last