Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

2008 Specialized Crossroads Sport

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Old 10-02-21, 09:01 PM
MareC

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hi all, newbie here. Due to the new bike shortage, and my hesitancy to spend hundreds of $, I’ve been looking for a good quality used bike to ride around the many paths(mostly paved, some gravel) in my area. I’m a 5’6” middle aged woman in good shape, but want something fairly upright due to a not so great back. I found a 2008 Specialized Crossroads in excellent condition. Seller is asking $175. I can’t seem to find much in the way of value, so wondering if this is a reasonable price. Also, if anyone has any other suggestions on a good quality bike to look for, I’d appreciate the feedback.
Old 10-03-21, 06:25 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 749 Times in 559 Posts
Welcome! I think condition and size are the most important factors to consider with used bikes. You said it's in excellent condition, so that's a plus. You should still expect to need to replace some of the consumables on it, especially brake pads (which can harden with age and become less effective) and cables (which can gum up with time). And then with size -- it needs to fit you well. At 5'6", I think you'd be looking at a small or medium frame. You can make several types of adjustments to get a bike to fit you better, and you might also replace some things for personal comfort (like grips or seat).

$175 is a reasonable price for a ready-to-ride bike in excellent condition. You're saving many hundreds of dollars over a similar new bike and you're not really sacrificing much in terms of innovation or newer technology.
Old 10-03-21, 08:35 AM
MareC

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks so much for the reply! I rode the bike around a bit yesterday, and it fits quite well. The frame is a medium. It shifted pretty smoothly, although I suspect the chain could use some oil. Brakes are surprisingly vey responsive, as I was expecting them to need pads or adjustment. The seller said he bought it used about 5 years ago for visiting family to use, but it’s barely been ridden. It’s been garaged, but we’re in AZ, so I was surprised that nothing seemed to be dried out/brittle. If I decide this is the one, I’ll be bringing it to a bike shop for a good going over. Thanks again for the response.
Likes For MareC: