Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

bent spoke

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-21, 04:09 PM
Funkywheels63

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
bent spoke

Hello all, while cleaning the bike noticed a bent spoke on the front wheel. my question is, can I just changed that one spoke, and what tools would I need? Thanks here's a pic.
Old 10-11-21, 04:17 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18354 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
If the wheel is true, I'd leave it alone. It won't hurt anything.

To replace the spoke.
  • Remove wheel
  • Remove tire
  • Remove rim tape (probably).
  • Front wheel is easier because you don't need to remove the freewheel/cassette.
  • Spoke Wrench to remove spoke.
  • Replace Spoke, and possibly nipple.
  • Spoke Wrench to get it reasonably tight.
  • Something to work as a truing stand to get wheel true
  • Some method to double check the dishing.
  • Rim tape, Tube, and tire back on and wheel back on bike.

As far as a truing stand. You can often find good enough stands for around $100. Some people have homebuilt stands. It is also possible to true the wheel on the bicycle with simple tools.

You can also dish the wheel by flipping it backwards on your bike and checking alignment.
Old 10-11-21, 04:22 PM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
Since the spoke did not break it is easy to replace. As you bring it up to tension just pluck adjacent spokes to hear and match the tones.
Old 10-11-21, 04:23 PM
Funkywheels63

Thanks for responding. I'm a newbie at this. I don't even have any basic tools for changing the tire. last time before recently that I rode a bicycle was over 20 years ago. I've ridden the bike a couple of times already, and didn't notice anything obvious with the front end.

Last edited by Funkywheels63; 10-11-21 at 04:27 PM.
Old 10-11-21, 04:24 PM
canopus 

Bikes: Road, Touring, BMX, Cruisers...

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 111 Posts
Check for true, mark for monitoring, then ride. I wouldn't replace it if it isn't broken. That's the beauty of having 35 other spokes.
1984 Trek 760
1981 Trek 710
Pics

Last edited by canopus; 10-11-21 at 09:05 PM. Reason: sp
Old 10-11-21, 04:58 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
+1 for leaving it alone if the wheel is true. A couple of my bikes have mildly-bent spokes like that -- you can always replace it later if it actually breaks.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 10-11-21, 05:17 PM
Funkywheels63

will take everyone's advice. thanks
Old 10-11-21, 05:18 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3583 Post(s)
Liked 3,395 Times in 1,929 Posts
Yes, you can replace a single spoke. What you need is the spoke length, a spoke wrench, and something to assess "trueness" of the wheel (ideally, a truing stand, but watching the rim as it passes between the brake pads is also sufficient).

But I'm not convinced it actually needs replacement. Check the spoke tension (all the spokes, not just that one). If the tension is low, increasing tension will pull the spoke straight; problem solved. If the tension is already appropriate, it's unlikely that the bend is a real problem, other than cosmetic.
Old 10-11-21, 06:01 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1787 Post(s)
Liked 1,261 Times in 870 Posts
Originally Posted by Funkywheels63
Old corroded nipples require a quality spoke wrench. Something many people don't want to buy for a 1 spoke replacement.
Unless you're in a position to true/tension ALL the spokes, it may be best to leave sleeping dogs lie.

IF you want to replace a spoke, buy a NEW nipple with it. With NEW parts, a cheap spoke wrench will probably be adequate to pull things back in place.
I'll just "peel off" frozen, corroded nipples with a vise grip pliers. Don't bother subjecting whatever spoke wrench you have to needless wear & tear.
Old 10-12-21, 05:28 AM
oneclick 

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1105 Post(s)
Liked 1,326 Times in 782 Posts
Hello all, while cleaning the bike noticed a bent spoke on the front wheel. my question is, can I just changed that one spoke, and what tools would I need? Thanks here's a pic.
You probably have the tool you need - a thumb.

If the spoke is not damaged - nicked or cut - just press it back straight with your thumb. Check the wheel for trueness after, more than likely it won't change.
Old 10-12-21, 07:07 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked 880 Times in 527 Posts
If your wheel is true, I would not do anything with that spoke. How do you think it got bent?
Old 10-12-21, 10:10 AM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
Old corroded nipples require a quality spoke wrench. Something many people don't want to buy for a 1 spoke replacement.
Unless you're in a position to true/tension ALL the spokes, it may be best to leave sleeping dogs lie.

IF you want to replace a spoke, buy a NEW nipple with it. With NEW parts, a cheap spoke wrench will probably be adequate to pull things back in place.
I'll just "peel off" frozen, corroded nipples with a vise grip pliers. Don't bother subjecting whatever spoke wrench you have to needless wear & tear.
Or go all out and clip the spoke with wire cutters. Your Vise Grips may even have an adequate wire cutter.
Old 10-12-21, 02:00 PM
Funkywheels63

purchased the bike used from a craigslist seller. didn't notice it until I got it home and decided to give it a cleaning. I've got most of the tools in my garage to work on my house, repair my cars and motorcycle, but nothing to work on a bicycle. Guess I'm going to have to buy more "stuff".
Likes For Funkywheels63:
Old 10-12-21, 07:11 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 882 Post(s)
Liked 2,304 Times in 1,114 Posts
Your bend is probably more of a cosmetic issue that bothers you more than it does the functionality of the wheel. As was mentioned, you can probably bend it back with your thumb and finger. If you do want to replace it, a spoke wrench isn't terribly expensive and if the nipple isn't seized to the spoke, you can probably get by with using a screwdriver as the nipple is likely slotted inside the wheel.

The spoke below I suspect was deliberately bent by someone in the late 60s or early 70s to make up for it being too long when replacing a spoke because the spoke was flush with the nipple when I removed it. Of course don't do this if you decide to change it.

Old 10-12-21, 07:21 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
My advice is to send me 5000 dollars, cash is fine or gold bullion works!

Like others have said if it isn't out of true or causing issues I would leave till it becomes a problem if it becomes a problem.
Old 10-13-21, 07:38 PM
Funkywheels63

Hello all again. checked my wheels, and both front and rear wheels are rubbing against the brake pads. I've watch a bunch of youtube videos and I'm confused. most of them say to loosen the spokes, you turn clockwise, and to tighten, counter clockwise. one video, the guy says the opposite. so, which way is it? also, some say that you can either loosen one side, or tighten the opposite side to pull the wheel away from the opposing side. other videos say to do both, to loosen one side, then tighten the other side. some of the videos show them using zip ties to find the gap. what's your opinions on this method? Thanks again.
Old 10-13-21, 07:55 PM
CliffordK

Hello all again. checked my wheels, and both front and rear wheels are rubbing against the brake pads. I've watch a bunch of youtube videos and I'm confused. most of them say to loosen the spokes, you turn clockwise, and to tighten, counter clockwise. one video, the guy says the opposite. so, which way is it? also, some say that you can either loosen one side, or tighten the opposite side to pull the wheel away from the opposing side. other videos say to do both, to loosen one side, then tighten the other side. some of the videos show them using zip ties to find the gap. what's your opinions on this method? Thanks again.
Constant rubbing on the brake pads, or significantly pulsing with a visible wobble?

You can adjust most brakes both side-to-side, as well as space between the pads. More photos help.

As far as clockwise/counterclockwise. The spokes use ordinary right-hand threads.

Consider the nipple like a nut on a bolt.
  • Nipple at the top of the wheel, then clockwise will shorten/tighten the spoke.
  • Nipple at the bottom of the wheel, then clockwise will in effect lengthen/loosen the spoke.

If you always loosen and tighten opposite sides of a pair of nipples, you run less of a chance of inducing a hop in the wheel which can be a pain to work out.
Old 10-14-21, 07:18 AM
Funkywheels63

• "Nipple at the top of the wheel, then clockwise will shorten/tighten the spoke.
  • Nipple at the bottom of the wheel, then clockwise will in effect lengthen/loosen the spoke." Thanks. I think I'm going to stick with the 12 o'clock position. I always used the "righty, tighty" method.
    it only rubs on a certain area on the rims.

Last edited by Funkywheels63; 10-14-21 at 07:20 AM. Reason: more info. added
Old 10-14-21, 02:43 PM
Funkywheels63

Just got a spoke wrench that I ordered on line. None of the sizes fit the spoke. Are there other sizes? Here’s a pic.
Old 10-14-21, 02:54 PM
CliffordK

Just got a spoke wrench that I ordered on line. None of the sizes fit the spoke. Are there other sizes? Here’s a pic.
Yes, there are other sizes and types of spoke wrenches. But, that should cover most of the bases for ordinary wheels.

The spoke wrench must have a VERY SNUG fit onto the nipple. If it is loose, you'll destroy the nipple in a heartbeat.

Photo of the nipple?

Park spoke wrenches are very popular.

Those with the band on the handle wrap around the spoke a little, and are better for very tight nipples.

Unfortunately, if you don't know the size, or are working on multiple wheels, you end up with a set.

Last edited by CliffordK; 10-14-21 at 03:01 PM.
Old 10-14-21, 03:01 PM
Funkywheels63

• Nipple at the top of the wheel, then clockwise will shorten/tighten the spoke.
  • Nipple at the bottom of the wheel, then clockwise will in effect lengthen/loosen the spoke. how do I determine what size the nipples are? I have a marin hybrid bike. Thanks
Old 10-14-21, 03:04 PM
CliffordK

How do I determine what size the nipples are? I have a marin hybrid bike. Thanks
I go by whatever fits.

Nothing on your multi-wrench will just barely slide on?
Old 10-14-21, 03:13 PM
Funkywheels63

Here’s a pic. of the spoke. The sizing of the wrench is either too small, or too big. contacted the company, hopefully they'll know.

Last edited by Funkywheels63; 10-14-21 at 03:15 PM. Reason: more info. added
Old 10-14-21, 04:55 PM
Funkywheels63

the bike company got back to me and they recommend two sizes in the park tool wrenches. will see when I get them on sat. in the meantime, will spray some penetrating oil on them. doesn't look like they've been touched in awhile.
Old 10-14-21, 05:32 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1787 Post(s)
Liked 1,261 Times in 870 Posts
the bike company got back to me and they recommend two sizes in the park tool wrenches. will see when I get them on sat. in the meantime, will spray some penetrating oil on them. doesn't look like they've been touched in awhile.
I pick up 3cc hypo's at the pharmacy to use as a mini oiler. Chain lube, PO, whatever.....
It sure beats 99% waste/clean up.
Liquid Wrench comes in a can of fluid with the "pointy" spout. (Save spare cans. You can make people think you wrote their name in the snow by use of various colored fluids)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.