Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Carbon frame has a bump/bulge in the middle. Should I worry?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 10-12-21, 09:49 AM
pashlit

Bikes: Caad 8, CX6, Argon 18 Pro, Scalpel Lefty

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Hello folks,

I just got a new to me Argon 18 Nitrogen Pro with only 500 miles if I can trust the seller. The bike looks sweet with no real wear. I noticed that the frame has a bulge/bump/imperfection right in the middle. Please see the pics. I do not see any cracks or chips around this area but the bump is really noticeable even on crappy pictures I made. This is my first fully carbon bike, so I'm not really versed in what to expect from carbon frames. Is it something I should be worried about? I wouldn't like it to break on a 45mph descent.

Thanks for your input.

Old 10-12-21, 09:56 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 2304 Post(s)
Liked 2,742 Times in 1,499 Posts
google Argon 18 Nitrogen Pro and compare the pictures.....

I did this for 30sec, you should spend more time, but I did not see any with a bulge like that for me it would be a hard pass

https://www.racycles.com/page/detail...waArgQEALw_wcB

Old 10-12-21, 10:20 AM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
That frame has been repaired. Depending on who repaired it it should be very strong. If the seller didn't inform you about the damage/repair I wouldn't buy it.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 10-12-21, 10:20 AM
pashlit

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad
google Argon 18 Nitrogen Pro and compare the pictures.....

I did this for 30sec, you should spend more time, but I did not see any with a bulge like that for me it would be a hard pass

https://www.racycles.com/page/detail...waArgQEALw_wcB
Yes. I googled like crazy before posting it here. I even shot a message to Argon. Haven't seen anything like that on any pic.
Old 10-12-21, 10:24 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4199 Post(s)
Liked 2,914 Times in 1,782 Posts
Have you already bought the bike? Any chance to return?
Old 10-12-21, 10:37 AM
pashlit

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by himespau
Have you already bought the bike? Any chance to return?
I purchased it off Facebook Marketplace from a local guy. He sounded very legit. I know where he lives and stuff. The bike looked very good and clean. I guess I should ve paid a better attention when checking it out. I was in a bit of rush.
I took the bike for a few rides and it rides great. But once I noticed this bump it doesn't look good to me anymore. He told me he only put like 300 miles on it on a trainer and the bike is like new. I should ve known also that trainer and carbon do not really blend together. Stupid me.
Old 10-12-21, 11:45 AM
pashlit

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Just talked to a seller again. He said he purchased this bike from a local bike shop and babied it the entire time he owned it. He is saying It was his first carbon bike and he did not know what to expect.
After quickly googling the issue here is how original frame looks like. It has "Nitrogen" printed and is of mate color. So something has been done to that frame for sure.

So either seller is lying or LBS sold him a bike with a repaired frame which is kind of strange. I don't know who I should trust now. I might stop by that LBS and ask them for details. Hope they are keeping track of all the bikes they sell.

Old 10-12-21, 12:16 PM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 848 Post(s)
Liked 1,161 Times in 671 Posts
Top Tube

Looking at your pic's.
It would appear that your top tube has been refinished, different shine.
The other pic looks like the top tube has the same silk sheen.

Barry
Old 10-13-21, 09:33 AM
pashlit

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
OK. More details. That seller finally started talking. Here is what he said:

"Ok i bought it new like i said, the frame had a scratch and the customer that ordered it did not want it anymore they told me they sent it back to reinforce it with carbon fiber, i didn’t even know where it was since i didn’t see it before and honestly i did not care, all i saw was the opportunity of having a top of the line bike at a great price, like i said there is nothing wrong with the bike, the frame never broke, it was never in an accident".

I don't know if I can trust him. Why would you want to cover a scratch with layers of fiber glass? Was it really a scratch or most likely a crack? I can probably return the bike or ask for partial refund. I do like this bike a lot. And good bikes are sold out everywhere.
Old 10-13-21, 09:50 AM
sch

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 104 Posts
Functionally the frame should be and almost certainly is fine. Cosmetically this is like your new to you
2019 car that just had a beer can size dent put in the door. My attitude would depend a great deal
on how much I paid for the frame. Any thing above 40% of retail of the frame sold as used, not new
and I might want my money back, but not sure what recourse you would have though Facebook does
appear to have some built in.
Likes For sch:
Old 10-13-21, 09:56 AM
pashlit

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by sch
Functionally the frame should be and almost certainly is fine. Cosmetically this is like your new to you
2019 car that just had a beer can size dent put in the door. My attitude would depend a great deal
on how much I paid for the frame. Any thing above 40% of retail of the frame sold as used, not new
and I might want my money back, but not sure what recourse you would have though Facebook does
appear to have some built in.
I paid $2.1k for this bike. It has 6800 Ultegra. Not a bad deal for a used perfect condition bike. Not a great deal I think knowing it had a cracked frame.
Old 10-13-21, 10:03 AM
sch

6800 is what 3 yrs out of date? I agree with you at that price... CF repairs up very well, and the repair, especially
on the top tube, would not be a detriment to the longevity or performance but it certainly puts a big dent in your
attitude toward the bike.
Old 10-13-21, 10:03 AM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 848 Post(s)
Liked 1,161 Times in 671 Posts
Originally Posted by pashlit
I can probably return the bike or ask for partial refund. I do like this bike a lot. And good bikes are sold out everywhere.
Seller willing, I’d return it in a heartbeat.

Else I have to disassemble the frame completely and send to a reputable carbon shop.
A good shop would have likely repaired the tube internally and not wrapped the outside.
The cost is frightening, the repair isn’t.

Barry
Old 10-13-21, 11:51 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 2304 Post(s)
Liked 2,742 Times in 1,499 Posts
Originally Posted by sch
6800 is what 3 yrs out of date? I agree with you at that price... CF repairs up very well, and the repair, especially
on the top tube, would not be a detriment to the longevity or performance but it certainly puts a big dent in your
attitude toward the bike.
6800 is more like 5 to 6 years out of date, 8000 is now discontinued, 8100 is current (as of the last month or 2)

Old 10-13-21, 12:04 PM
jonathanf2

Quoted: 439 Post(s)
Liked 999 Times in 428 Posts
I'd return that frame, a bulge like that would bug me every time I looked at it. Plus the seller should have disclosed the information to you beforehand.

Also what kind of "scratch" would need reinforced carbon and a new paint layer? Most my scratches I just cover up with a Sharpie!

Last edited by jonathanf2; 10-14-21 at 09:43 AM.
Likes For jonathanf2:
Old 10-13-21, 12:19 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 4,489 Times in 3,338 Posts
Just tell all your riding buddies that the bike is pregnant, and you'll be getting a baby bike soon!!!

That is more than I'd want to pay for a repaired bike, but I couldn't say what it is actually worth.
Old 10-13-21, 12:46 PM
pashlit

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks folks. Here is some more chit chatting with this person if you are curios. He sells houses. So, I guess lying is his second nature.

Him: I did not change anything and the dealer clearly stated that is new when i bought it. They wont sell something that would give you problems because they would be liable. If you dont feel comfortable sell it but the selling dealer or i have nothing to do with it. I let you ride it. I let you look at it I answered all your questions. And i gave you a really good deal on it. You could sell it for more if you wanted. What more do you want? Have a great day man

Me: Such details must be disclosed. I doubt I would ve purchased this bike knowing it was repaired. Saying you "let me ride and look at it" is literally saying nothing. You are perfectly aware of Lemon law and stuff. I clearly asked you if the bike had any issues. You said NO. You did not disclose a very important fact. I will never be able to sell it for even half the price I paid.

Him: That frame alone is over 5k and you know it, just sell it Have a great day What more do you want!?

That frame was $3k at max at it's launch. He reminds of a used cars sales person. He even advises me to resell it. I will never ever sell anything like that without disclosing such an important fact. What an a$$.
Old 10-13-21, 01:06 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4199 Post(s)
Liked 2,914 Times in 1,782 Posts
Yeah, there's still more that he's not telling you. I hope you can get him to give you your money back for it, but, at this point, I wouldn't be too hopeful.
Old 10-13-21, 03:01 PM
sch

Facebook marketplace claims to have some recourse but with significant limits:
https://www.facebook.com/help/228307904608701

I thought new bikes were sold with 6800 upto about 3 yrs ago when the
8000 change over began but looking back and researching suggests 5 yrs
is a better time frame for the 6800->8000 transition.
Old 10-13-21, 03:07 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 835 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 741 Posts
Small claims court is maybe your only option. Sounds like seller didn't disclose the entire history of the bike that he was aware of when he sold it to you. Save all your communications and a copy of the ad you saw the bike advertised in. Hard to say if you would have any luck in small claims but if you're stuck with the bike it may not be so bad to ride and you can have it checked out by another shop to be sure it's safe. You could also get some estimates from some legitimate carbon repair shops which even if it turns your bike into a not so great deal after paying for a professional repair at least it would be as good as new. Also consider it a hard lesson learned and make sure you don't make the same mistake again.

Last edited by Crankycrank; 10-13-21 at 03:23 PM.
Old 10-13-21, 03:32 PM
pashlit

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by sch
Facebook marketplace claims to have some recourse but with significant limits:
https://www.facebook.com/help/228307904608701

I thought new bikes were sold with 6800 upto about 3 yrs ago when the
8000 change over began but looking back and researching suggests 5 yrs
is a better time frame for the 6800->8000 transition.
I paid cash during meetup. I doubt FB rules will apply to sales like that.
Old 10-13-21, 03:38 PM
pashlit

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Crankycrank
Small claims court is maybe your only option. Sounds like seller didn't disclose the entire history of the bike that he was aware of when he sold it to you. Save all your communications and a copy of the ad you saw the bike advertised in. Hard to say if you would have any luck in small claims but if you're stuck with the bike it may not be so bad to ride and you can have it checked out by another shop to be sure it's safe. You could also get some estimates from some legitimate carbon repair shops which even if it turns your bike into a not so great deal after paying for a professional repair at least it would be as good as new. Also consider it a hard lesson learned and make sure you don't make the same mistake again.
I already saved all the communication and Facebook's original ad. I will sue his a$$ if I want to. He is a real estate broker and having a law case against him is going to hurt him much more than just arguing with me over refund. Plus he's got nothing to lose. In the worst case he scenario he gets his "perfect" bike back which he can sell it to another naïve cyclist. Originally I was looking for a good new bike and was willing to pay good price. But this darn COVID thing made all the shops empty so used market was my best bet. I purchased both of my current bikes used. One of them from ebay and had zero regrets. They still run strong. This time it turned out the opposite. I don't think anything will happen to that bike and it is not a $10k fancy machine, but that feeling and that ugly bump is what bothers me a lot. ))
Old 10-13-21, 06:44 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1877 Post(s)
Liked 1,413 Times in 979 Posts
Originally Posted by jonathanf2
Also what kind of "scratch" would need reinforced carbon and a new paint layer?
This is the key question. The fix for a real "scratch" ranges from buffing and touch up paint to light sanding, epoxy, repaint, and clear coat. Even if not perfectly performed, at most you would have a blemish in the paint and/or the clear coat. Here, the fact that so much material was added all around the top tube to noticeably enlarge its diameter calls into question the severity of the damage and/or the competence of the repair.
Old 10-13-21, 07:10 PM
CliffordK

I will say that if there is something pretty obvious that I missed on purchasing something, I'll kick myself and take my lumps.

But, I agree, this seller was a real clod to indicate the frame was like new with such a huge repair. And, I hope that if I ever start selling stuff, I'll stand behind my anything I sell.

As others have mentioned, it is quite likely this frame will be just fine. It appears as if the repair was feathered quite well, and I'm assuming it used copious amounts of carbon fiber wrap.

Now, the question is what the original damage was.

Drop something on the frame? Could give a single impact damage without significantly affecting the rest of the frame.

Front-end damage? Running into a parked car? The problem with that kind of damage is that inevitably multiple tubes are damaged, even if it only appears as if one was damaged.
Old 10-13-21, 07:31 PM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by pashlit
He is a real estate broker...
Undoubtedly he has also treated his real estate clients in the same manner.

Give it a month or two for some of the dust to settle, then you could post a "professional review" of his services. Make it general enough that it is truthful, but ambiguous.

XYZ grossly misrepresented condition of the property, stating it was in new condition when in fact it had been damaged, poorly repaired, hiding major defects, and greatly diminishing the overall value.
Likes For CliffordK:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.