Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Psv-10s ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-21, 10:45 AM
Matt76

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Psv-10s ?

Hi all, I have acquired a Peugeot bike which I believe to be a PSV-10S. I wondered if anyone can confirm this and would also welcome any other comments.

Here's what I know about the bike- Super Vitus 980 frame and full chrome forks, Stronglight 'bis' crankset, Simplex derailleurs and shifters, Mavic wheels with Helicomatic hub, MAFAC calipers with Spidel levers, CTA handlebars, San Marco seat. The colour of the bike is what has made me question the model; it is a light (metallic?) blue that looks very slightly purplish, and has gold Peugeot lettering along the down tube. The other decals it has are; white outlined lion on either side of seat tube, 'made in france' and a gold 'hand brazed' (with a signature above) decal on either side of the top tube at the rear. The head tube badge is a black plastic lion with silver outline.

The serial number stamped into the BB casing is- B2062476, which I believe means it is from 1982. I have only seen white PSV10's or PSV10S's?? from this era.

I would appreciate any comments. Kind regards, Matt

I am trying to upload a pic and will hopefully have one up soon.
Old 10-16-21, 02:52 PM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Welcome to the forums. What you have is a Peugeot PSV10, manufactured in June 1982. The colour is called Pearl Blue and was standard for the UK market, where this model was also known as the Roubaix.

Old 10-16-21, 03:11 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
For whatever reason, this bike tends to be underappreciated in the Peugeot line up as most of the attention tends to go to the PX 10 and PY 10. That said, the PSV 10 is a superb bike. The Super Vitus is an excellent tubing set and this is a lightweight bike.
Old 10-16-21, 06:44 PM
ejw

Bikes: 2002 Gary Fisher Marlin, 1981 Peugeot PSV 10S, 1974 Paramount Road Racer, 1971 Raleigh International, 1965 Fiorelli, 1961 Rudge Sports

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 32 Posts
My Peugeot PSV 10S, purchased in 1982, photo is after a recent recommissioning. Virtually identical to the one appearing in the 1982 Peugeot Brochure

-Frame: Super Vitus 980 -Forks: Super Vitus 980 -Headset: Lightrace
-Crank: Stronglight 104 Bis, 170mm arms. Threads 9/16”-20. Produced from 1977-1983.
-Simplex Derailleurs, Peugeot labeled.
-Pedals: SR SP-150
-Brakes: Weinmann 605, side pulls.
-Seat: Sella Italia CX, w/Peugeot Label.
-Seatpost: SR? (26.2mm/26.6mm?)
-Rear Hub Cluster: Maillard Helicomatic
-Rims: Mavic Red Label tubular. (Not shown)
-Tires: Wolber Invulnerable. (Not shown)
-Bottle Cage: Jim Blackburn, added at purchase.

Last edited by ejw; 10-16-21 at 07:41 PM.
Old 10-17-21, 12:45 PM
Matt76

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you for your replies.

T-Mar- thank you for uploading the photo of my bike (I don't know how though). I tried to upload this photo, but was unable to, due to being a new member. Maybe senior members have access to failed uploaded pics?
I have seen pictures of the Pearl Blue PSV10 'Roubaix', but didn't think it was the same colour as mine (it looks too pale compared to my darker blue) and also has different decals.

EJW- thanks for posting the photo of your PSV, it looks great, and identical to mine (regarding the decals and the components I can see).

I am delighted with my bike, particularly as I didn't pay very much for it. However, there is a problem with the Helicomatic freewheel; the outer 14t screw on cog is broken. I am trying to source one or alternatively a complete 6 speed freewheel, but I am realising this might be difficult. I would like to keep the bike original and not have to change the rear hub if I can help it.

Thanks again
Old 10-17-21, 11:38 PM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1639 Post(s)
Liked 829 Times in 538 Posts
PSVs are fantastic, really lightweight bikes, as long as you know how to ride them.
They tend to be a bit whippy, because of the very light gauge SV980 tubing.
If you tend to be a pedal masher, you might get it to ghost shift on you, specially if you pound hard on it on climbs (My 1984 PSV did it really bad after I installed a Campy NR RD on it. Straight parallelogram RDs like the Campy NR, just does not work that well with the PSV.). It's also quite easy to get your chain to rub on the FD cage on steep climbs. But if you are a spinner, it's the perfect bike to fast, long distance motoring on flats.....

Last edited by Chombi1; 10-17-21 at 11:42 PM.