Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

After the race a complete let down/realistic goals

Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Old 04-03-12, 07:58 PM
TheRacingRandy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This past Sunday, I finished my 9.5 mile TT at a personal best of 25:50. It was only 6 months ago on the same course I finished my race in 26:17. So I improved my overall time bt 27 seconds.

Not too bad!

I was on an "emotional high" the rest of the day. I trained hard for the TT. I needed to see an improvement. Hours on the indoor trainer. Watching what I was eating. It all paid off for me!

However, reality struck was I took a sneak peak of how I placed compared to others in my age group. Almost dead last. Despite my average speed of slightly over 22mph, the majority of racers were well below 23 minutes. A few finished the race under 20 minutes.

I have been training now for 6 years. I can remember my finishing results on this curse back then. 33 minutes. So in 6 years, I have reduced my time by over 7 minutes.

My question is in two parts. Part one is, I race the same course in October. Is setting a goal of 25:00 simply too extream? Setting myself up for failure?
Question 2: How does one block out other competitors results after a time trial? How does one NOT get discouraged when others are so far ahead in physical endurance and in bike equipment?
Old 04-03-12, 08:28 PM
ericm979

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
How was your equipment vs the other riders? Are they using aero stuff and you're on a regular bike? There are cheap things that you can do to get aero.

TT riders work a lot on their position on the bike. You want to find the combination that has the least aerodynamic drag while not impacting power. You don't need wind tunnel time to do it.

I suck compared to the racers that I compare myself to. I keep from getting discouraged by thinking about how I can do it better, and also by realizing that I enjoy challenges.
Old 04-06-12, 11:59 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3873 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
A couple of thoughts. Firstly, there's the talent thing. Folks with natural high VO2max will dominate a TT. If you don't have that, it isn't going to happen for you. Then there's age. You the same age as those with whom you are competing? Equipment is a little bit, but not much. It's mostly power and position and thus power in position. I assume you have some sort of TT bike or road bike modified to TT. Messing with position can get you a little, but only if you can still breathe. Mostly, it's power. You don't say what sort of training you've been doing. TTs, especially short TTs, take specialized training to get fast.

Lastly, if you're finishing well back, your major competition is with yourself. Accept it. Don't worry about the other folks. Just ride for your own pleasure and to see how good you can get. I wouldn't set a goal. Instead, look into training smarter. TT helmet is the cheapest go-fast equipment there is, if your position will allow you to make good use of it.

Put up a photo of you on your TT bike.
Old 04-07-12, 08:35 PM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
What sort of training program did you use? If "hours on the trainer" was the majority of it, you might have an explanation for your comparative lack of improvement right there.

If you haven't already, get out there and do some interval training. Heavy duty interval training. The type that will make you feel like, if not really, puke at the end. Up the distance or time of each set of intervals every couple of weeks.

Do you have a heart rate monitor? If not get one; if so... link it to your training program.

Endurance is one thing, and that comes from the trainer and long steady distance riding. But when it comes to improving speed, you have to step up to high-intensity intervals, and practise riding over courses of similar distances.
Old 04-09-12, 08:44 PM
palesaint

Bikes: 2008 fetish illustre

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 1 Post
What field were you in? Cat 5 only, this would be discouraging. But if you were in a 3/4/5 field, or Masters - you are up against much faster racers.

My only addition to the comments above is - if you are really serious and have a few extra dollars to throw around - invest in a power meter. You can get a second hand powertap setup for 300-400$. This will tell you EXACTLY how much power you are putting out in a given effort. You can then base your training around that number, giving a better focus.
Old 04-09-12, 08:50 PM
TheRacingRandy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the response. My bike is a FELT TT Bike with aerodynamic handlebars , aerodynamic helmet and skin suit.
The good news again for me is that a .27 second reduction in time from 6 months ago is "not too bad" and my average speed of 22 mph is good. As long as I continue to see reductions in my overall finish times, I am satisfied.
I was just amazed at how fast and how thin the guys I am up against are.
Old 04-09-12, 08:55 PM
TheRacingRandy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am racing in the Masters 40+. And while overall I am excited that my finish time was reduced by almost half a minute (from 6 months ago on the same course), the guys I am up against are so freaking fast!! I mean they are averaging 25-26 mph for the entire 9.5 TT.
I race the same course in the fall. So I am targeting 25:00 for a finish time with the proper training.
Old 04-09-12, 10:29 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3873 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
Eeeek. Not the masters! That's the class for Cat 2s who just got old enough to smear the competition in Masters. Race Cat 4/5 instead. No wonder you're getting slaughtered. In my early 60's I could come in halfway up the field of 4s, even pass my minute man. And I'm not even a racer, just a guy with good position and a set of aero bars who knows how to suffer.
Old 04-10-12, 01:16 AM
chasm54
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Agree with CFboy about the Masters, you run up against serious opposition who are damn near as quick as they used to be. In Cat 4, at least you know that the really fast riders will be Cat 3s in a few weeks.

Having said that, I rode in a Cat 4 crit a couple of weeks ago that was about 13 miles long and was won at an average speed of 26.2mph. Some fast guys around.
Old 04-11-12, 02:34 AM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by TheRacingRandy
I was just amazed at how fast and how thin the guys I am up against are.
This.

If you want at least a fighting chance to match them, lose the weight and start a well-managed, high-intensity training program.