Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Training Status??? (IV)

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Training Status??? (IV)

Old 03-12-24, 09:59 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2477 Post(s)
Liked 2,899 Times in 1,541 Posts
Originally Posted by Hermes
Faster? In the real world, one would have to test. I asked Jim Manton, ERO, at VSC if Mavic IO wheel set would be faster for my wife than the Fast Forward we are using. He said, "Do not spend the money. Borrow a set of IO's and test against FF. He doubted that she would be faster." Team USA sprint team uses Mavic IO disc/pentispoke and double disc. So there is that.

Zwift? Your guess is a good as mine. I could not find anything on Zwift Insider. I was happy to get the wheel set. I am 45% up Mount Everest.
Yeah I use the glowing Tron bike most of the time. If doing an event up AdZ or something - i'll select lightweight stuff. I actually configure the Cadex TT bike with disc wheel setup fairly regularly since I like to go for some of the flat segments in the ~10 or more minute range, where it makes a difference.

Jim (ERO guy) has come down to the San Diego velodrome a few times to setup some local riders/racers/teammates in TT positions. I'm considering it. I think I'd want to get a new bike first (rim brake - Giant Trinity) before taking a more focused dive on improving my TT. But, I'm probably 2-3 seasons away from having the funds and being in a good spot to focus on that. I do look forward to having a dedicated push in improving my TT in the coming seasons. There are events every year that I get excited about featuring a TT - VoS, SCNCA district ITT/TTT champs, and our own local series.
Likes For TMonk:
Old 03-12-24, 02:36 PM
procrit
carbon is too light

Bikes: Yes.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 241 Times in 155 Posts
Originally Posted by enthalpic
+5 to "max" hr is a lot, how old are you?
Old 03-12-24, 02:37 PM
procrit
carbon is too light

Originally Posted by Enthalpic
procrit

I had a real heatstroke during a running race that landed me in an ambulance. My HR was still over 180BPM two hours after the incident.

I was sitting and doing nothing but sipping water and gatoraid and I had about a +125 swing in HR. Hahah.

Dr said my heart sounds were fine, just going really fast.
That's pretty crazy. My heart rate never did anything other than just get up high for a brief moment during the hardest efforts in the race, but quickly came back down as expected.
Old 03-12-24, 02:46 PM
procrit
carbon is too light

Easy endurance spin for an hour. Just enough to move the legs around and it felt amazing. Cannot wait to see where this next block of higher intensity takes me...
Likes For procrit:
Old 03-13-24, 06:56 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
Originally Posted by Hermes
Faster? In the real world, one would have to test. I asked Jim Manton, ERO, at VSC if Mavic IO wheel set would be faster for my wife than the Fast Forward we are using. He said, "Do not spend the money. Borrow a set of IO's and test against FF. He doubted that she would be faster." Team USA sprint team uses Mavic IO disc/pentispoke and double disc. So there is that.
I have a pre-rio iO and a FFWD 5-spoke. I have set all my F200 PRs on the iO.

That said, I now run different tires on them - with heavier duty road racing tires on the FFWD for use at non-major events, since all my tracks are outdoors, and the concrete can tear up Pista Speeds pretty quickly.
Likes For topflightpro:
Old 03-13-24, 10:33 AM
procrit
carbon is too light

50' of O/U 2' @ 360w, 8' @ 290w, back to back to back, with another hour of endurance.

My 20/30/60/90 min power are all at record levels over the last two weeks, though I'm still seeing lower HR vs power at the moment. My RHR is also down about 5 bpm, which is within 1 bpm of all time low. Not sure what to make of it. My coach thinks the racing and lots of effort over vo2 max may have improved cardiac output a bit. I'm sure temporary if so. I guess we will see.

I sure wish I could get to 70kg at this power level haha.

Last edited by procrit; 03-13-24 at 11:01 AM.
Likes For procrit:
Old 03-14-24, 11:56 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Zwift "Big Spin" ride again this morning. Got the earphones this time.

Did it on my IRL TT bike with zero resistance so I could get some time in position. My club has their next TT in about a month so I will try to ride my TT bike twice per week until then, one of them being outdoors and harder, other indoors and light. I missed the first one since it was too close to my hernia surgery.
Likes For TMonk:
Old 03-15-24, 09:34 PM
Radish_legs

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 32 Posts
First crit is this Tuesday.
Likes For Radish_legs:
Old 03-18-24, 06:17 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,566 Times in 973 Posts
Almost stole the kom competition from the local pro that lives in the Umstead gravel. Not literally but figuratively. It’s a fun thing a local team puts on but since there are no groups of riders it’s always a forgone conclusion going to the couple of local pros.

But to give him a scare at the kom on the last day was worth it. From a cat 4 rider at that. Lol.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 03-18-24, 10:06 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Think I have a negative enough TSB to actually need a rest week.... first time in the 6 months since LIlly has been born lol. MIL was visiting for a long weekend and I took some time off work on Friday to ride

At EOW: CTL 75 and ATL 102