Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > Cyclocross Racing
Reload this Page >

First CX Race - what bike and setup?

Notices
Cyclocross Racing Discuss pro racing, the big races, and even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Old 01-23-23, 03:20 PM
Herzlos

Bikes: Way too many

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 810 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 343 Posts

Hi all,

I've signed up for a taster race at my local cyclocross track, which I believe is just a grassy field behind a sports centre rather than anything bespoke, and there's no sand. For the taster race, there's no restriction on bikes, it's not ranking etc.

I have 2 bikes:
https://www.giant-bicycles.com/gb/revolt-1-2021
https://www.merida-bikes.com/en-gb/b.../big-trail-400

The Giant, being a gravel bike is the closest to a cyclocross bike, and dropped bars means I'm quite narrow which I suspect will be better for being overtaken (I'm not expecting to do well).
The Merida has much wider tires and the seat can be lowered to make it less likely I'll fall off. It's also 4kg heavier though I'm not sure how much I'll be expected to carry it.

So I think the Giant is likely the better choice, but in terms of tyres I've got the standard 700x38c CrossCuts and or 700x45c WTB Riddlers, neither of which I'm confident will be any good on grass/mud despite being much wider than the 33c limit for competitions.

On the Merida, I've got a 29x2.3 Maxxis Minion DHF on the front with either a 29x2.3 Minion SS or 29x2.3 Aggressor on the rear.

What would you recommend I used?

Should I also be removing anything I don't need, like bottle cages? Or is that excessive?

Thanks in advance!
Old 01-23-23, 03:41 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4769 Post(s)
Liked 7,739 Times in 3,658 Posts
Between those choices, the Giant. No doubt about it. I would pick the narrower of those two tires (33c limit is not going to be applicable to a local race like you're describing).

If there's any chance you'll be shouldering the bike, remove your bottle cages and strip down anything else you can take off it.

Otherwise...Practice your mount/dismount and carrying techniques. Start slowly and get the sequence of moves right.
Old 01-25-23, 04:53 AM
Herzlos

Thanks! Bike has bottle cages removed to make it easier to carry.
I'm going to change to the 45c WTB's though as the packaging mentions cyclocross for the uses and the Giant Crosscuts don't seem very knobbly.
Old 01-31-23, 06:33 AM
Herzlos

As an update. I wasn't feeling great on the day but went anyway, struggled a bit with the coaching session and practice lap, but stayed for the race and finished. Last by at least a minute, coming in at 34/34.
All 5 laps were a bit of a slog and I'm covered in bruises. But at least I did it and finished.

After crossing the finish line thinking never again, I'm pretty sure I'll go do the next one too. Maybe one day I'll come 2nd last!
Old 04-06-23, 08:17 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1426 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 351 Posts
Good on you.

DFL beats DNF beats DNS.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.