Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+) > Pills and Ills
Reload this Page >

Experience with medial meniscus injuries?

Notices
Pills and Ills This is a discussion subforum for the health challenges faced by riders 50+. These discussions are in no way to be considered professional medical advice.

Old 08-03-21, 08:21 PM
Dudelsack 

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts

So, I’m not looking for advice. I’m just curious how many of you have undergone arthroscopy for medial meniscus tears? I’ve fiddled around for about 3 months and it’s time I think to get it fixed. Interestingly, I have no knee arthritis.

Old 08-03-21, 09:17 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked 999 Times in 710 Posts
Had the right knee done 2 years ago, 2 tears but like you no arthritis though the doc suggested that the way it looked I might start getting it in a couple years. In and out procedure, done in 4 hours from the time I arrived to the time the nurse told me it was time to wake up and I refused to do so. Crutches for several days, riding in 2 weeks, racing a flat crit in 4 weeks, MTB and cyclocross in 8 weeks and pain free for the last 2 years. Don't even get a twinge on cold winter days, totally worth the surgery.
Likes For Russ Roth:
Old 09-09-21, 06:49 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Quoted: 2300 Post(s)
Liked 4,764 Times in 1,725 Posts
Yep, I've had that done 4 different times between my knees. Each time simple in and out, and short recovery before back to pain free. Unlike ya'll I do have a lot of arthritis and bone on bone. Old marathoner and Army Airborne. The surgeries bought me an extra ten your or so of mostly pain free living. Now I have tears in both knees again and have been hurting for over a year now. Surgeon says I'm still too young for knee replacements and that there's no point in surgery to fix the tears. He want's me to stay on cortisone shots for 4 years until I reach 60. I'm about to go get a second opinion.

But yeah, for the OP. I'd do it! So nice to have the everyday pain gone and the procedure and recovery is no big deal at all.
Old 09-09-21, 07:52 AM
mprince
Dont fix whats not broken

Bikes: Steelman Stage Race, Dura-Ace 9s

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 166 Times in 93 Posts
Good to get it looked at. 33 years ago I tore my left knee medial meniscus and had the damage trimmed out, no issues since with that side and a recent MRI showed that side to be in fine shape.

My left lateral side has been bothering me for years, and I had been stupidly dealing with (ignoring) that on my own. 4 weeks ago was walking down the stairs in my house and my left knee blew up - sounded like a gun going off. Complete tear (non-repairable) of the lateral meniscus. Surgeon's exact words were that I "shredded" my lateral side and he couldn't "sew together chicken salad". Had a meniscectomy on Aug. 31 and am still recovering, so far not the quick bounce back I'd been expecting.

Bottom line, get it taken care of as meniscus damage rarely gets better or heals on its own.
Old 10-11-21, 03:24 PM
Dudelsack 

Thanks all.

I had arthroscopic partial menisectomy about 2 weeks ago. It did not make an immediate difference, but I think it’s heading in the right direction.

Likes For Dudelsack:
Old 02-23-22, 08:19 PM
Dudelsack 

5 months out and I’m glad I had the surgery, but there still an occasional dull ache. Oh well.

Likes For Dudelsack:
Old 02-23-22, 10:11 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked 999 Times in 710 Posts
My doc pointed out that I already had a touch of arthritis there, the knee will never be perfect, but I can honestly say that instances of any pain are rare and incredibly minor. Nothing that ever slows me down. Probably took 8-10 months for everything to fully settle out to this point, but by 4 weeks I was mostly moving normal and the point at which it became completely painless was gradual enough and not painful enough to realize it was happening till one day I realized I just wasn't feeling anything at all.
Likes For Russ Roth:
Old 02-24-22, 02:03 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5218 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
had a tear about 25 years ago. mostly from a lifetime of activity but the straw that broke the back, was running/playing on an uneven surface & hyperextending one knee. after a long period of ibuprofen, x-rays & an MRI I had a minor arthroscopic procedure under general anesthesia. asked the doc if I could get it on tape & he said sure, just bring a tape. back then it was full size VHS. they made 2 tiny holes, 1 for the camera & 1 for the tools. 17 minutes in & out! it was easy to see the upper & lower body parts & the loose flap of cartilage & the tools used to snip it & clean it up. I was standing on it that afternoon videotaping my own little kid

every knee is different, but here's wishing you a similar good experience & outcome!

my symptom was that I could not climb stairs w/ the affected knee/leg bearing weight. I had to always use the other leg to lift up on each step. I forget what the recovery was, but the surgery worked to remove the folded flap that was trapped between the upper & lower leg

I remember that afterwards I was a little freaked out about my mortality, or rather the realization that my body was not indestructible. I felt vulnerable & I was very protective of my body, especially my knees of course. I was always very sure to walk straight & plant my feet carefully. it was about 11 years before I took up any sporting activities like weight training with leg machines or running, cycling etc. I did not have to wait that long, I was into hiking & I did that. my Doc said just don't go run a marathon for a while. I would later take up racquetball so the surgery worked well. my knees aren't what they used to be. I won't be doing any long duration steep hikes/climbs anymore. I'm still very careful about foot placement. I remember my surgeon saying the worst thing for a knee was a deep knee bend w/ a twist. the best thing is losing weight. I currently feel like I had a great recovery & can do lots of stuff

Last edited by rumrunn6; 02-25-22 at 07:47 AM.
Old 02-24-22, 04:22 PM
vespasianus

Bikes: Turner 5-Spot Burner converted; IBIS Ripley, Specialized Crave, Tommasini Sintesi, Cinelli Superstar, Tommasini X-Fire Gravel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 395 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 209 Posts
Originally Posted by Dudelsack
5 months out and I’m glad I had the surgery, but there still an occasional dull ache. Oh well.
I had surgery 13 months ago and honestly, it was the best thing I ever did.

The one thing I feel is that If I continue to cycle and exercise, it feels great. If I don't exercise and keep active, I start to feel it. But overall, it has been a 1000X improvement.
Likes For vespasianus:
Old 02-25-22, 07:45 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Originally Posted by vespasianus
I had surgery 13 months ago and honestly, it was the best thing I ever did.The one thing I feel is that If I continue to cycle and exercise, it feels great. If I don't exercise and keep active, I start to feel it. But overall, it has been a 1000X improvement.
yes, I've been told what's good for the knee is strong muscles around it
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 02-25-22, 07:51 AM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by Dudelsack
I'll bet that will fade over more time, maybe next year or more. I also had a broken leg, the other side. so I forget which tended to be more cranky over time. meaning aches related to weather for example. but I don't experience that anymore