Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fatbikes
Reload this Page >

Advice Fat Bike Purchase

Search
Notices
Fatbikes Designed for use in sand, mud or snow, Fat bikes are the right choice for true all-terrain riding. Check here for the latest on these fun, adventurous two-wheeled machines.

Advice Fat Bike Purchase

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-22, 11:29 AM
mediablasters

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Advice Fat Bike Purchase

Hi All,

Almost 3 years ago I herniated a disc and had surgery about a year ago and now on a trainer I can ride up to an hour without much discomfort. This has all happen in the last couple of months finally.

I have not ventured outside but barring big issues I do wish to try, I have heard that fat bikes are more comfortable and better on the lower back. Just like to know any similar experiences?

Next I understand that fat bikes are a bit wider so can be a bit more hip stress involved. I just wonder for fitting purposes, is everything the same as my road bikes, frame size? Just how do you determine the frame size and last a recommendation for a good not high end brand of bike as I do not want this to be an expensive experiment.

Thank you all for reading and appreciate any input.

-John
Old 08-26-22, 09:12 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,179 Times in 770 Posts
Originally Posted by mediablasters
I have not ventured outside but barring big issues I do wish to try, I have heard that fat bikes are more comfortable and better on the lower back. Just like to know any similar experiences?
Some people have the misconception that fat tires = suspension. It's not really going to be much more comfortable than a 29er hardtail bike unless you were to go full suspension and fat.

Next I understand that fat bikes are a bit wider so can be a bit more hip stress involved.
Yes wider Q factor. But it doesn't affect everyone the same. I can jump from road bike, to mountain bike to fat bike and not even notice a difference. Others will jump from road bike to fat bike and complain about knee or hip pain.

I just wonder for fitting purposes, is everything the same as my road bikes, frame size?
Road bike sizing usually goes by CM. 52, 54, 56 etc. Fat bike will be small, medium, large and X-large.

Just how do you determine the frame size
Look on the bike manufactures website or stop at local bike shop. It will be determined by your size.

and last a recommendation for a good not high end brand of bike as I do not want this to be an expensive experiment.
Go cheap and you'll regret it. You'll end up replacing parts sooner rather than later and end up wishing you spent more money up front instead of having to deal with bike maintenance issues.
Old 08-26-22, 09:22 AM
mediablasters

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
[QUOTE=prj71;22624470]Some people have the misconception that fat tires = suspension. It's not really going to be much more comfortable than a 29er hardtail bike unless you were to go full suspension and fat.

Thank you for this reply, a bike shop also told me the same thing. I just also saw on some articles on the internet that it does help. Guess will depend how bad you back is too.

I was told a full suspension mountain bike is the way to go and I will not do off road for sure for a while so I will put some slicks on it. I used to have a cannondale hybrid where I could turn on and off the suspension but it was only the front.

Do you agree with this advice and I am not sure you would recommend a good starter front/back suspension mountain bike that I could turn the suspension on and off? I may ask in that area as well.