Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Ice Skating

Old 11-24-22, 08:12 PM
Noonievut

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 129 Posts
Ice Skating

Anyone skate in the winter and if so, do you find it complimentary to cycling? Cardio is good, and I feel like the lower back, quads and hip flexors get a decent workout.
Old 11-24-22, 09:59 PM
debade

Bikes: Trek Domane, Trek 2120, Trek 520, Schwinn Voyager step through

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 78 Posts
I don’t know the answer to your question but I recently move to a city with ice rinks and I am able to walk to one and skate tomorrow. It’s been about 4 years since the last time I laced up and I am looking forward to it.
Old 11-25-22, 11:52 AM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 630 Times in 430 Posts
Yup, Was skating fairly regularly and playing hockey, until my health issues, some 4 yrs ago.
Planning to get back 'on ice' tomorrow... , with my granddaughter... Will be an adventure - 1 st time in 4 yrs...
I found skating to be a great compliment to cycling, and visa-versa. And hockey certainly requires strong core and upper body strength as well.
One thing about hockey, which doesn't come into play as much with other forms of skating (speed, general putzing around...) is the load on the groin area is intense.
If you're doing hockey properly, you're at a 'sprint' most of the time on ice, with frequent directional changes, stops, hard starts and all that puts a huge load on the groin.
Can't say for figures...
Great cardio and muscular load on legs is very complimentary to cycling. Edge changes and driving the stride are great for balance; especially working the outside edge.
An Hour of good hard skating would be closely equivalent to riding an hour; and same light load on the joints.
I highly recommend Skating and XC (both 'Classic' and modern skate techniques) for anyone in the great White North or anyone who might have a rink within range.
Skate On
Yuri
Old 11-25-22, 12:35 PM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3769 Post(s)
Liked 1,036 Times in 784 Posts
I would imagine for those of us in warm climates, roller blading would be a suitable substitution for ice skating.
Old 11-25-22, 12:46 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 955 Post(s)
Liked 1,619 Times in 1,039 Posts
Anybody remember Beth and Eric Heiden?
Old 11-25-22, 03:46 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
The closest I come is occasionally skate skiing, which is much harder than cycling.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 11-25-22, 09:37 PM
Kat12

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Liked 379 Times in 279 Posts
Not just "in the winter" since I frequent indoor rinks, but yes, I skate on occasion. I did so more about ten years ago, and got a bit back into it during the pandemic when I was working from home every day and could make lunchtime skating sessions.
Old 11-26-22, 08:05 AM
Speedskater

Bikes: Bob Jackson, Trek & Sampson

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts
Before the COVID lock-down, I was going to up to 7 speedskating practices a week.
In the distant past many bike races would come to speedskating practice in bad weather.
There are many world class competitors in both bike racing and speedskating.
It's more about aerobic and anaerobic training.