Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Grocery and errand bike

Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Grocery and errand bike

Old 09-28-22, 07:35 PM
brianinc-ville

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 40 Posts
By "fixed," you mean "rigid" or "non-suspension" frame, not "fixed-gear," right? In that case, it's yes to fenders and rear rack, no to chainguard. Unless you have the bike set up with a single chainring in front, in which case you can have a hockey-stick chainguard. For a chainguard that totally encloses the chain (like the Hebie Chainglider above), you'll need either a single-speed or an internally-geared hub.
Old 10-02-22, 08:04 PM
sayn3ver

Bikes: 1989 Bianchi Giro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by brianinc-ville
By "fixed," you mean "rigid" or "non-suspension" frame, not "fixed-gear," right? In that case, it's yes to fenders and rear rack, no to chainguard. Unless you have the bike set up with a single chainring in front, in which case you can have a hockey-stick chainguard. For a chainguard that totally encloses the chain (like the Hebie Chainglider above), you'll need either a single-speed or an internally-geared hub.

sorry yes, that is correct.
a rigid mountain bike frame.

I suppose that makes sense with the chain guard, I suppose I wasn't thinking.
Old 01-25-23, 02:31 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26243 Post(s)
Liked 10,227 Times in 7,097 Posts
...I used this for a long time.

Much modified Raleigh Sports.

But lately, I find myself using something like this more. It allows for a slightly quicker ride, so I can take it out along the bike trail, do some distance, and still stop on the way home to collect some few items we've run low on, buy a fresh loaf of bread, etc.

The only drawback is if you are worried about theft while you're inside the store, as problematic in your area. I carry a couple of U-locks, which kind of slows me down on the longer ride. But your initial surmise is correct, almost any bicycle can be adapted toward errands and grocery shopping.
Old 01-31-23, 01:20 PM
ever1ast15

Bikes: Brompton M6R ( Greay/Green), Trek 520 Disc, Gazelle Ultimate C380+

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Hi. I use my e-bike with a Burley Travoy trailer tagging along behind to get groceries. Works great for 3-4 bags of stuff.

Old 05-20-23, 06:09 PM
milliebarnes

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I highly recommend a City Bike. I just bought a Bianchi Venezia Dama and it rides like a dream and yet is quite a workhorse. I have Wahl collapsible baskets on the back rack and it is perfect for grovbery shopping. Many people add a front basket but I am very small and hate the way it feels. I have recently sold my car and am not getting another one so this is working out really well.
Likes For milliebarnes:
Old 05-20-23, 07:05 PM
mirfi

Bikes: Vilano Urbana, DownTube FS9, Montaque paratrooper, Nano mini-velo, Motobecane CX, Raleigh 20, MIFA folder, ROG Pony, Iverson Grand Touring folder, Exclusiv German folder

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked 191 Times in 119 Posts
I fold up the pedals when I walk through the store. The rear basket can hold an 18 pack of eggs, the front a gallon of milk in a cooler bag.

My 'Shopper'
Likes For mirfi:
Old 07-10-23, 11:18 AM
jaxy357

Bikes: '23 Specialized Roll 3.0 low entry, '84 Bridgestone 300, '84 Centurion Le Mans 12, Free Spirit project bike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 39 Posts
Originally Posted by mirfi
I fold up the pedals when I walk through the store. The rear basket can hold an 18 pack of eggs, the front a gallon of milk in a cooler bag.

My 'Shopper'
Cool Bike Forums sticker!
Old 12-18-23, 12:35 AM
sunburst

Bikes: Giant, Peugeots, Motobecanes, Kona, Specialized, Bike Friday, Ironhorse, Royal Scot, Schwinns

Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 51 Posts
Here’s my mule.

Old 01-13-24, 05:03 AM
Duragrouch

Quoted: 585 Post(s)
Liked 309 Times in 247 Posts
Originally Posted by Nyah
The bicycle for loaded touring serves me for grocery runs just fine. The past year or such, though, I've been using a Dahon 20" folding bicycle with front/rear baskets (I don't actually fold it, it's just a little zippier than the touring bicycle). I avoid the worry of bicycle theft all-together, by bringing it with me into the store for use as a shopping cart. I keep it under my control and it causes zero problems for anyone.
Right there buddy, exactly. My 20" Dahon with front and rear panniers is my (daily? can't think of the right word... EDIT: Townie). Can hold 4 bags worth in the panniers, 1 hung off the center aero bar, and 2 slung off the handlebar ends if necessary, usually not. Lower center of gravity than taller bike. Double crank for low gears with a heavy load. Never left outside with bike theft, always wheel through store. Trailer would be too wide for that.

Last edited by Duragrouch; 01-24-24 at 02:14 AM.
Old 01-13-24, 06:19 AM
plumberroy

Bikes: Surly long haul trucker, Surly steamroller,Huffy Catalina, Univega Alpina 501. Gravity deadeye monster, Raliegh sport , Electra loft 1

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 180 Posts
Since I live in an area with several colleges, 2 major. Bikes aren't as cheap as other areas. A rigid mountain bike with more road friendly tires is a good start . Just be aware that you can get as much as a decent new bike in one when you start modifying it. I remodeled a 95 Univega mountain bike last year into a cruise around bike . To take when we go day trips etc. I ended up having $500 in it. . A set of panniers and it would work for your needs.
Old 01-24-24, 02:25 AM
Duragrouch

Nearly any bike can be equipped with racks. However, if shorter wheelbase (road racer, folder, etc.), heel clearance for rear panniers is critical. For my Dahon 20" wheel folder, I had to search for a rack that holds the panniers aft of the rear axle centerline, and that was 2015. Now, rear racks seem to have fallen out of favor, so selection is even less, my rack is no longer made. Notably, some rear rack designs come with separate lower sections, allowing the rack to be centered over the rear axle, or lowers that curve forward, putting the rack further aft. Mine is so far back and the rear rack stay braze-ons so low, that I needed extra-super-long rack stays, only a couple companies make them to sell separate. But there are no stability issues at all, with the panniers behind the rear axle, even heavily loaded.
Old 01-24-24, 04:35 AM
flangehead

Bikes: 2017 Co-op ADV 1.1; ~1991 Novara Arriba; 1990 Fuji Palisade; mid-90's Moots Tandem; 1985 Performance Superbe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 562 Times in 328 Posts
Originally Posted by StarBiker
Any 80's, 90's steel frame MB would work best.
That’s what I use:

Pulling a flatbed kiddie trailer for large loads.

I use wire baskets for routine loads.
Likes For flangehead:
Old 02-03-24, 10:44 AM
axelwik
Yep

Bikes: Klein Quantum, Klein Rascal, GT MTB converted to an e-bike

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts
I use a BoB Yak one-wheel trailer for groceries and some errands. If it's hilly and a heavy load it goes behind my e-bike; if not, then a regular bike.
Old 02-03-24, 09:43 PM
Duragrouch

Originally Posted by axelwik
I use a BoB Yak one-wheel trailer for groceries and some errands. If it's hilly and a heavy load it goes behind my e-bike; if not, then a regular bike.
I towed an original B.O.B. behind a long wheelbase recumbent on a tour on mostly flat land. It was mostly stable, but on high speed descents, I had to keep a firm hand on the steering and make very gentle corrections, as large steering inputs could cause a dangerous sway. I believe this is because the pivot point on a B.O.B. is behind the rear wheel, in the same way that auto trailers will induce sway, whereas a fifth wheel trailer (pivot at towing vehicle axle center), does not sway. Same for bike trailers with a hitch near the rear axle center. Also, the load on a B.O.B. is all well forward of the trailer tire, so that weight is oscillating counter direction to bike steering. When I got back from the tour, I tried out the B.O.B. with same payload hooked up to my Cannondale racer, which had the stiffest frame Bicycling magazine had ever tested, and it was even worse, even at low speeds it felt unstable, might have been due to the much shorter wheelbase, but also perhaps because a conventional bike I can rock from side to side when I accelerate from a start, whereas on the LWB 'bent, that never happens, the bike is always "flat", no rocking. I have to think that most people's experiences are better, as the trailers sold fine. I haven't used my B.O.B. since that couple-week tour many years ago. Also because a bike so equipped is impossible to negotiate stairs, and ridiculously so when towed by a LWB recumbent. Would be different if I had a garage to just roll the whole rig into. Even an elevator would not solve that problem. I'm strictly a panniers guy now.
Likes For Duragrouch:
Old 02-03-24, 10:46 PM
axelwik
Yep

Bikes: Klein Quantum, Klein Rascal, GT MTB converted to an e-bike

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Duragrouch
I towed an original B.O.B. behind a long wheelbase recumbent on a tour on mostly flat land. It was mostly stable, but on high speed descents, I had to keep a firm hand on the steering and make very gentle corrections, as large steering inputs could cause a dangerous sway. I believe this is because the pivot point on a B.O.B. is behind the rear wheel, in the same way that auto trailers will induce sway, whereas a fifth wheel trailer (pivot at towing vehicle axle center), does not sway. Same for bike trailers with a hitch near the rear axle center. Also, the load on a B.O.B. is all well forward of the trailer tire, so that weight is oscillating counter direction to bike steering. When I got back from the tour, I tried out the B.O.B. with same payload hooked up to my Cannondale racer, which had the stiffest frame Bicycling magazine had ever tested, and it was even worse, even at low speeds it felt unstable, might have been due to the much shorter wheelbase, but also perhaps because a conventional bike I can rock from side to side when I accelerate from a start, whereas on the LWB 'bent, that never happens, the bike is always "flat", no rocking. I have to think that most people's experiences are better, as the trailers sold fine. I haven't used my B.O.B. since that couple-week tour many years ago. Also because a bike so equipped is impossible to negotiate stairs, and ridiculously so when towed by a LWB recumbent. Would be different if I had a garage to just roll the whole rig into. Even an elevator would not solve that problem. I'm strictly a panniers guy now.
I'm towing it behind a heavy bike so haven't had any problems, but I can feel it pushing the rear around a bit when hauling more than about 50 pounds. Here in Albuquerque there are a lot of bollards guarding the bike trails and bridges, so good to be narrow. Low and light is the key I think - and put the heavy stuff in the back near the rear of the trailer.
Old 02-04-24, 04:20 AM
Duragrouch

Originally Posted by axelwik
I'm towing it behind a heavy bike so haven't had any problems, but I can feel it pushing the rear around a bit when hauling more than about 50 pounds. Here in Albuquerque there are a lot of bollards guarding the bike trails and bridges, so good to be narrow. Low and light is the key I think - and put the heavy stuff in the back near the rear of the trailer.
Yes, exactly right, rear loading better, lowers the polar moment of inertia.
Likes For Duragrouch:
Old 02-08-24, 06:24 AM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1280 Post(s)
Liked 891 Times in 470 Posts
I have the Massload racks (front and rear in summer, with my rigid front fork) and Lynx bags. The Lynx are inexpensive, but require backpack covers to be used in the rain. The m80 is good at everything it does, touring, shopping, trails, road and utility.

One right pannier bag hook not in place on rack.