Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

How much have mid-drive motors improved in the past 5 years?

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-23, 12:40 PM
nathand

Bikes: 2018 Jamis Renegade Exploit, 1996 Trek 930, mid-90's Dean El Diente, 2010 Scott Addict SL, 1998 Trek 730, Xtracycle EdgeRunner 30D, Xtracycle Swoop, 1992 Trek 790

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 62 Posts

After hauling my 2 kids around on a non-assisted Xtracycle for a year, I've decided I need a motor. Kids have gotten heavier and need to go further away (soccer practices, gymnastics etc) and we live in hilly San Francisco. I like the current Xtracycle, so I'm considering either a new one with a Shimano STEPS motor system or a used one with an older-generation Bosch Performance Line. The new bike/motor has a little more torque (85 N-M vs 65 N-M) and a larger capacity battery (630 wh vs 800 wh), but of course a new bike costs a lot more. I've seen lots of comparisons between the Shimano and Bosch motor systems, but not a comparison across generations. How much has motor technology improved in the past 5 years or so? Is it worth the extra cost to get the newer system? (There's some other reasons for going with the new bike as well, in particular that Xtracycle changed their design to have a lower stand-over height and I'm hoping my partner will ride this bike too, but here I'm just curious about the electric components.)
Old 01-31-23, 08:10 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2494 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
I would be very wary of buying a used e-bike. A lot of potential abuse of the battery and motor would not be visible to you until too late. Because of the legal restrictions that govern e-motors on bikes, the five year old motor/battery systems were plenty capable. But the newer system is a better purchase anyway. But why Xtracycle? A proper cargo bike ... Yuba Mundo? I doubt they cost much more if at all. What am I missing?
Old 02-01-23, 02:46 PM
nathand

Bikes: 2018 Jamis Renegade Exploit, 1996 Trek 930, mid-90's Dean El Diente, 2010 Scott Addict SL, 1998 Trek 730, Xtracycle EdgeRunner 30D, Xtracycle Swoop, 1992 Trek 790

Originally Posted by Leisesturm
But why Xtracycle? A proper cargo bike ... Yuba Mundo? I doubt they cost much more if at all. What am I missing?
In what way is a modern Xtracycle, such as the Swoop, not a proper cargo bike? I ordered a Swoop because Xtracycle had a substantial sale last week ($1k off a new bike), but was also considering a used EdgeRunner 10e (that looks like it's now been sold, the Craigslist post was removed).

I went with Xtracycle because they're local and have been helpful and responsive when I've had questions, and I like my existing non-assisted Xtracycle. I have tried my neighbor's Yuba Spicy Curry for comparison.
Old 02-01-23, 03:09 PM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 948 Times in 555 Posts
going from a bosch second gen performance speed to the 4th gen speed day to day use has not added a huge amount to the experience. I can climb faster especially on steep hills. . like the second gen would hit the peak power when I put out 450 watts or a bit less. the new one is about 520 watts. I never run out of torque now unless its a really steel hill around 22%I thought the small chainring sucked but I got about 12,000 miles on it I only got 4300 or two chains on the regular. size.
Old 02-01-23, 04:41 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2494 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
Apologies. I have not kept up with Xtracycles production. In my mind they are still either add-ons to an existing bike or overpriced for what you get. To that second point. Even with $1k knocked off, any of the 'established' cargo bike makers could give that Swoop a good run for the money. But if they are local to you and responsive, there is that. Shimano Steps comes OEM on a lot of bikes and is a solid system. I like where Xtracycle has placed the battery pack, but my druther is for full size wheels f/r, even if they are 24" vs 26". But that's me. Enjoy.
Old 02-01-23, 05:12 PM
fooferdoggie 

Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 948 Times in 555 Posts
I have heard more complaints about the shimano motors then the other two main guys lack of support and parts and failures.
https://electricbikereview.com/forums/forum/shimano/
Likes For fooferdoggie:
Old 02-01-23, 05:40 PM
nathand

Originally Posted by Leisesturm
my druther is for full size wheels f/r, even if they are 24" vs 26".
Xtracycle offers that option too with the Stoker - 24" wheels - and I would have gone for that instead of the Swoop but my partner is a good bit shorter and lighter than me, and I'm hoping she'll use the bike for hauling the kids around too. I think the slightly higher standover height and center of gravity would be a challenge for her.
Old 02-01-23, 11:26 PM
MarcusT

Quoted: 766 Post(s)
Liked 616 Times in 344 Posts
I spent several weeks going over Shimano vs Bosch. I went with Bosch in the end, because of the dozens of reviews (technical and non), Bosch seemed to have the edge for varying reasons.
As far as CX (the most powerful), I wonder if it's worth it for a commuter. I use mine for MTB and climb steep trails. I would look at other motors (active, non CX) , they use less battery and cost less.