Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Is this pannier missing hardware? What would you recommend to fix it?

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Old 02-16-23, 12:58 PM
Smitty2k1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 16 Posts

I bought this pair of old Arkel panniers from ebay and I'm pretty sure there should be some sort of hook on the bottom of the elastic strap to hook around the bottom rail of a rack. The ring that's there currently just keeps it attached to the nylon webbing, which I believe is intended to be used as a compression strap. Any suggestions on inexpensive hardware (like off the shelf from Home Depot or available online) to fix it?

I was considering buying a whole new set of hardware from Arkel or Ortlieb or Vincita but figured I'd try out this hardware first if I can get it working again.

Old 02-16-23, 03:22 PM
GeorgeBaby

Bikes: 2005 Bike Friday NWT, Bacchetta Giro 26, 2019 Titanium Bilenky Midlands

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
The should be a J-hook attached to the bungie cord, which would hook to the bottom of the rack. The bungie/Jhook combo is designed to go between the strap and the bag, so that the strap limits the bag from swinging out.

Here's the part you're after
https://arkel.ca/collections/replace.../hook-with-web

Last edited by GeorgeBaby; 02-16-23 at 03:27 PM.
Old 02-16-23, 06:02 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1740 Post(s)
Liked 1,369 Times in 718 Posts
That attachment system is reminiscent of what is used on my Jandd panniers. There is a J-hook, however on the Jandd the hook is only about 1.5 inch long. The system works quite well as I have never had the panniers eject from the rack, even during the many crashes I have taken. The tension provided by the elastic cord and the shape of the hook is essential to the security of the bags. The Jandd hooks are a bit different than what is shown in the link. It is actually a double hook made from a smaller diameter wire which allows the hook to get wedged into the rack hook. Only a picture will demonstrate it, but I am not able to provide one at this time.
Old 02-16-23, 06:29 PM
robow

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 595 Post(s)
Liked 281 Times in 192 Posts
I once toured with a woman friend of mine on some very rough roads. During all that bouncing around, the "J" hook on her pannier sprung loose from her rack and got caught up in her spokes and down she went. That may be the only time it has ever happened in mankind's existence but..... when I use a pannier with that type of mounting system (and I do occasionally) I like to take a small zip tie and really anchor that "J" or "S" hook so that it can't easily come off the rack.
Old 02-16-23, 07:37 PM
GeorgeBaby

Bikes: 2005 Bike Friday NWT, Bacchetta Giro 26, 2019 Titanium Bilenky Midlands

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
The bags posted by the OP have the first (I think) generation Arkel thumb-lock for the rack top. I used those for years on my JANDD bags. There's no bounce to them.
Old 02-17-23, 04:16 AM
saddlesores

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 229 Posts
Originally Posted by Smitty2k1
I bought this pair of old Arkel panniers from ebay and I'm pretty sure there should be some sort of hook on the bottom of the elastic strap to hook around the bottom rail of a rack. The ring that's there currently just keeps it attached to the nylon webbing, which I believe is intended to be used as a compression strap. Any suggestions on inexpensive hardware (like off the shelf from Home Depot or available online) to fix it?

I was considering buying a whole new set of hardware from Arkel or Ortlieb or Vincita but figured I'd try out this hardware first if I can get it working again.

i'm pretty sure nothing is missing from that setup.
the "ring" is not to keep it attached to the webbing, it's just snagged, and it should be an open hook. if it's a ring around the black webbing, i suspect the prior owner used some other lower attachment method, and just clamped the hook down to keep it out of the spokes.

the white bungee cord would be threaded between the bag and the web strap, and once you hook the two hanger over the rack rails, you pull the bungee cord down and clip the hook to the bottom of the rack support leg. that bungee holds the bag down to keep from bouncing off the rails, threading it thru the webbing holds it against the rack.
Old 02-17-23, 06:11 AM
BobG

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 81 Posts
^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
What saddlesores says, like this ...

Last edited by BobG; 02-17-23 at 06:14 AM.
Old 02-17-23, 06:18 AM
saddlesores

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 229 Posts
Originally Posted by BobG
^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
What saddlesores says, like this ...

i forgot to attach an illustration!
a picture says (in this case) 128 words.
thanks, bob
Old 02-17-23, 06:39 AM
Prowler 

Bikes: 2 Trek Mtn, Cannondale R600 road, 6 vintage road bikes

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 1,028 Times in 404 Posts
I have two old pairs of panniers and both have rings like the OPs. I have small stainless steel hooks that attach to the “second” set of braze on rack mounts on the rear DO. The rack is screwed to the front set and the small hooks to the rear set. I first found those hooks on an old Cannondale tourer but I don’t know who made them. Banjo Brothers calls them “dropout hooks”. If the pannier bounces around and the ring slips off the hook, the ring is less likely to do a mischief with the wheel.

In 2019 I bounced my Cannondale panniers over 300 miles of the GAP and they did not bounce loose. Suitable design.
Old 02-17-23, 06:42 AM
Smitty2k1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 16 Posts
Thanks - hadn't seen those "dropout hooks" before. Makes sense.

I may just get a new hook and bungee and make it a more traditional setup. Or drop $30 each on modern Arkel hardware
Old 02-17-23, 02:10 PM
BobG

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 81 Posts
Here's the long hook posted by GeorgeBaby installed on your short bungee. Arkel says their newer top rail "Cam-Lock" clamp pictured is adequate without the bungee ...

https://arkel.ca/blogs/products-tech...k-on-some-bags

https://arkel.ca/collections/replace...s/cam-lock-kit
Old 02-17-23, 03:10 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4789 Post(s)
Liked 3,915 Times in 2,546 Posts
Originally Posted by robow
I once toured with a woman friend of mine on some very rough roads. During all that bouncing around, the "J" hook on her pannier sprung loose from her rack and got caught up in her spokes and down she went. That may be the only time it has ever happened in mankind's existence but..... when I use a pannier with that type of mounting system (and I do occasionally) I like to take a small zip tie and really anchor that "J" or "S" hook so that it can't easily come off the rack.
I much prefer the solid lower hooks of the Ortleibs. Yes, I've had the panniers come off. Nearly every time I've forgotten to push down that last click. But when they come off, they have always fallen clear of the bike and never a danger at all. As handy as bungies are, I've stopped using them in large part because I know of too many bad crashes they've caused. (Hiking and sailboats - no spinning wheels, no spokes and they work great!)
Old 02-17-23, 03:41 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1604 Post(s)
Liked 2,569 Times in 1,217 Posts
Looks like a carabiner instead of a J hook. That would keep it from bouncing off?
Old 02-20-23, 05:44 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2735 Post(s)
Liked 969 Times in 792 Posts
remember also, it seems to me that I once had panniers with an oval thing like this, and they were made to slip over the end of that little poking out bit on one of the rack stays.
I also have added a hook thingee to an old pair of panniers that had only an oval doohickey.