Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > Masters Racing (All Disciplines)
Reload this Page >

Senior Games General Thread

Notices
Masters Racing (All Disciplines) Race on the track or road or on your mountainbike in the Masters Category? Want to talk tactics, strategy and training with your peers?

Senior Games General Thread

Old 11-30-22, 04:32 PM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 410 Times in 244 Posts
Does anyone have any ideas on where the course might be in Pittsburgh next year? Have they held the games there before? I'd love to find an old course map and dig into what the climbs might be like.

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Last edited by bbbean; 11-30-22 at 04:39 PM.
Old 12-22-22, 01:30 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3873 Post(s)
Liked 4,766 Times in 2,199 Posts
WSSG - Cycling (washingtonstateseniorgames.com)

Washington State Senior Games in 2023 = Olympia.
Cycling in TT (5 + 10k) and Road Race (40k) on July 30, 2023

Five-year age groups, beginning at 50.

The cycling event was cancelled in 2022. In 2021 there was only one entrant in my age category in each event. Hmmmm! 19-20mph would have been a winner that year. Should be trainable.

Last edited by Wildwood; 12-22-22 at 01:43 PM.
Old 02-14-23, 11:51 PM
Cleave
Old & Getting Older Racer

Bikes: Bicycle Transportation: 2022 Hyundai Kona Electric, 2019 Kia Niro Plug-In Hybrid

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by bbbean
Does anyone have any ideas on where the course might be in Pittsburgh next year? Have they held the games there before? I'd love to find an old course map and dig into what the climbs might be like.
I am interested in finding out course details for the TTs and road races. I knew Florida was flat, but I didn't realize just how flat it really is. A little terrain would be helpful from my perspective. BTW, the cycling organizers in Florida were not that great, though I'm glad they stepped up at all. Apparently they were running race promoters and didn't understand the differences for bicycle racing. Water under the bridge. Hope Pittsburgh organizers are better. I did send a note to NSGA about Florida races and never heard anything back.
Visit my blog at https://cleavesblant.wordpress.com/
Lightning Velo Cycling Club: https://www.lightningvelo.org/
Learn about our Green Dream Home at https://www.lawville.org/
Old 02-21-23, 12:48 PM
bbbean 

Originally Posted by Cleave
I am interested in finding out course details for the TTs and road races. I knew Florida was flat, but I didn't realize just how flat it really is. A little terrain would be helpful from my perspective. BTW, the cycling organizers in Florida were not that great, though I'm glad they stepped up at all. Apparently they were running race promoters and didn't understand the differences for bicycle racing. Water under the bridge. Hope Pittsburgh organizers are better. I did send a note to NSGA about Florida races and never heard anything back.
It does seem like we'd have a course outline 5 months before a national event so we could tailor our training a bit. For that matter, I want to be sure my hotel isn't 30 miles away, if they move the road events away from the main events like they did in Albuquerque/Santa Fe. Fortunatelym we knew about that one fairly early and could train and book rooms accordingly.

Old 06-07-23, 03:56 PM
bbbean 

We're 5 weeks out and still no course maps. I booked my hotel in January, thinking the race would be in Pittsburgh, now they say it'll be an hour north, but no idea as to how technical, what the climbs look like, no opportunity to look at segments to get an idea what sort of speed or effort, etc. I worked hard to qualify for the race, but its frustrating to think about driving 12-15 hours to a place I'm not all that excited to visit to do a race that I know nothing about or whether the course suits me or not.

Old 10-28-23, 07:49 AM
smmeiksa

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you are interested in historical race courses or maps, you might want to try searching for race archives, fan websites, or local race history resources. You can also contact event organizers or local sports associations to see if they have any historical records or maps of previous courses. Keep in mind that event locations and courses are subject to change, and information for future events may not be available until closer to the event date.
Old 10-30-23, 12:28 PM
bbbean 

Originally Posted by smmeiksa
If you are interested in historical race courses or maps, you might want to try searching for race archives, fan websites, or local race history resources. You can also contact event organizers or local sports associations to see if they have any historical records or maps of previous courses. Keep in mind that event locations and courses are subject to change, and information for future events may not be available until closer to the event date.
That sounds great, but in practice, historical maps can be a challenge to find, and there really isn't any reason the organizers shouldn't publish a proposed course by January of the year the race is scheduled. People are making travel plans, setting training priorities, and in some cases deciding whether to attend or not based on the course.