Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Training Status??? (IV)

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Training Status??? (IV)

Old 02-24-23, 09:56 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1319 Post(s)
Liked 2,411 Times in 1,405 Posts
Took the USA Cycling survey about racing and training. Interesting.
Likes For Hermes:
Old 02-25-23, 11:33 AM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 97 Posts
Popped my back a few weeks ago doing a big jump. Back is crooked again, 3rd time in about 2 years, and 2nd time in 8? months. So since popping it my back is getting more straight, doing aggressive PT, asked the PT guy to just fix my back. He's aggressively needling my back, doing some "hinge" and "twist" type strengthening work as well. It's almost straight, went from about 20-25 deg off to about 5-10 deg off.

The bit that bugged me about this one was I felt strong core wise before my back popped. I could lift my son comfortably (70-75 lbs), had no achy back, no issues, no nothing. Then I did a monster jump on the trainer (recent PR, 1300w) and it just popped.

Found I could't make any jumps since getting back on the bike. Will try again today. I go to jump and I can't apply any torque to the pedals. it's like when you just wake up from a deep sleep and you're a bit weak and can't pick up that heavy thing that you can normally pick up, and you do pick up 10 minutes later. On the trainer I pull on the bars and feel no effort, no tension in my arm. I might as well be lifting a cup of coffee.

Seems my non jump is capped at about 1000w on the trainer, just with bodyweight and a coffee cup worth of pulling lol.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Old 02-25-23, 05:04 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

I did my third trainer interval session in a row this AM. My legs felt very solid. I am ready for my upcoming ski week.
Likes For Hermes:
Old 02-26-23, 11:08 AM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked 1,416 Times in 690 Posts
An OK week; 10 hrs on the trainer and 2 hrs of exercise. Arranging next week's time so I'm fresh for a FTP test March 7.

C'mon good weather! Enough of the long Z2 trainer rides!
Likes For BTinNYC:
Old 02-27-23, 02:44 PM
Yep
no cat contains

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 142 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by TMonk
Maybe look to a Dr. to see if you have long-haul Covid. I know of a couple guys that were taken out of racing fitness for nearly a year.

When you do get back - have you done any aero optimization? 309 is a lot of power, and I'd think that you should be able to go well under an hour at that wattage.
The Covid bit is something I might need to look into. I did a trip to Mallorca in October and started to get sick the last day. That sickness then hung around for weeks, and included coughing. Never really put me down, and my CTL never dropped more than a normal winter, but the numbers aren't there to the point I'd say the PM is off.
Likes For Yep:
Old 02-27-23, 02:55 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2476 Post(s)
Liked 2,899 Times in 1,541 Posts
^hope you can get your situation sorted out before too long Yep.

Despite a +20 TSB, I am now very tired and hungry. I spent ~20 minutes this morning in VO2 zone power and HR, doing 4x5' min intervals with hard starts. I think this means that I did them correctly. I am doing more VO2 tomorrow (and Friday....), so I will need to be focused on nutrition and recovery, Coach wants me to add a bowl of rice in the afternoons on top of my diet. Hopefully that helps.
Old 02-28-23, 11:38 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

A second day with 20 minutes in z5. Today was a mix of 3', 4' and 5' intervals. Despite higher average power over the 20', I don't feel quite as wrecked as I did yesterday. 5' is a really long time to go deep.
Old 03-04-23, 11:15 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Finished a ski week at Deer Valley, UT and now back to the mines.
Old 03-06-23, 07:50 AM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 468 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 336 Posts
Big surprise, I'm in another sweet spot block lol. To be fair, I did a block of vo2 and another block with threshold and vo2 in the preceding blocks. For funsies, I've just gone ahead and changed my sweet spot target from 90% to 92% (basically treating it as if my ftp were 300 rather than 295). I did 2x45 at this number and my HR stayed at or below 160, which is what I generally see at 90%, so maybe my ftp is 300? 2% isn't a lot of course, but at this point I'll take whatever I can get lol I also did 3x40 @ 85% during a 3hr ride on Sat, so that was fun to do 2hrs of high tempo/SS in a ride. I only have one or two road races targeted for this spring, my big thing the past couple of years is doing a local century route as fast as I can, I've done 80% for 5hrs the past two times I've done it, so if I can do it averaging 240 instead of 230, then that would be pretty sweet
Likes For hubcyclist:
Old 03-07-23, 11:58 AM
BTinNYC 

FTP test today @ 218, up 2.5% from Jan 10. Not too bad considering I had the covid flu during this training period.
BT-not a racer-inNYC
Old 03-09-23, 01:09 PM
Phatman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 48 Posts
So there's a flat and straight section of road about 500 meters long at the entrance to our subdivision and people are really crappy about speeding on it, so one of my neighbors put up one of those radar speed display signs so people can see how far over the 25mph limit they're going. My 3 year old son LOVES it. Every time we're out on his balance bike, he kicks his feet as fast as they'll go to see how big of a number the sign will show him, our best (with me running and him balance biking) is 14 mph.

Anyways, the training part now. I was coming back from a chill ride today and for ***** and giggles decided to see how fast I could go so I jumped and sprinted as hard as I could. I found that the sign stops reading after 35 mph, and just says "too fast", which is a bummer. Strava says I did 36.8 though. The crazy thing is that when I looked at my data after the ride, it shows I put out a max power of 1513 watts, and the whole 10 second sprint had an average wattage of 1280. Admittedly, I'm a biggish guy (200 lbs) and I have been doing some weight lifting over the winter, but these numbers surprised me a little bit. I've never been a good field sprinter, but now I'm wondering if that's something that I ought to be practicing.
Likes For Phatman:
Old 03-10-23, 12:11 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Those are solid numbers! If you can get fairly aero during your sprint, that should get you some good speed.
Likes For TMonk:
Old 03-10-23, 12:14 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Last VO2 workout of week 2 this morning, 3 more to go next week.

I didn't have the "oomph" this morning and hardly saw and HR above threshold. Weight is low, I wonder if I'm under-fueled. IDK.

Usually, I go for a hard start with high cadence to get that oxygen recruitment and HR going, then slowly plateau down towards a reasonable power. Today, I just didn't have that punch or surge, and my HR and power halfway through wasn't super impressive, but still I was able to hold it and hit similar average power numbers as to what I have been over the last two weeks. Maybe that means I'm getting fit? IDK. I think on a better day, I could have crushed them with higher power and HR.

I have some race goals in April coming up, and am getting a bit tired of training all the time TBH. All work and no play makes Tmonk a dull boy, and all that. Just another week or so to get through, then I'll be relaxing, doing group rides and races, and letting my fatigue come down a bit. You know, having fun! Looking forward to it.

Rain on the forecast tomorrow in San Diego, so my 5 hrs of z2 will likely be on the trainer. There is a solid C pace group ride in the AM that goes for around 2.5 hours, will probably bookend some cruising around that.
Likes For TMonk:
Old 03-10-23, 02:50 PM
BTinNYC 

Originally Posted by Phatman
Great story, thanks for telling it!
36 mph on the flat is Flying in my world. Nice pull.
Old 03-11-23, 07:34 AM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 468 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 336 Posts
I unlocked new levels in this game lol I did 1x90 @ what ended up being 93% but I did 70mins at 94% and 20mins at 92% as the slog was getting to me. I highly suspect my FTP is slightly higher (300 vs 295) so I had been doing stuff at 2% higher than I normally would. This is based on general trends in what my power is at around 160bpm, which is where I normally expect 90% to be.
Likes For hubcyclist:
Old 03-14-23, 01:51 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Second to last VO2 workout of this block this morning.... and I forgot my HRM. So stupid. HR is (in ways) more important than power for these sorts of efforts. But, I made way with what I had and went off power and RPE. Hard start as usual to get the respiration up. I was still breathing hard ~40 seconds after each (5 minute) interval, which is probably a sign that I didn't go too easy. I had a hard time going much above threshold on the last 5' interval, which means I burned through all my AWC. Also probably a good sign.
Likes For TMonk:
Old 03-15-23, 08:12 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Ski intervals. At Deer Valley, UT. Monday and Tuesday were solid ski days with excellent snow, sun and temps. I had great legs both days. Today, it is snowing and blizzard like conditions that will end sometime this evening - so no skiing although all lifts and runs are open. I will be at the gym and ride the indoor Stages bike. Tomorrow is forecast for another sunny day and we should have good ski conditions.

My wife commented that I am skiing good enough to be a kiddy ski instructor. Yeah, right, I saw one of the ski instructors jump in the air, do a 180 and land in the front of the line of his kids and then ski backwards down the slope. This is spring break for a lot of kids so we have a lot of them on the slopes but mostly with ski instructors.
Likes For Hermes:
Old 03-17-23, 04:09 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Last VO2 max workout done this morning, wooooooo! I might train again mid summer for some late season race goals, but I probably won't be doing any intervals for a couple months or more. Maybe some measured TT bike efforts here and there just to keep that musculature, but outside of that, just racing and hammering for fun at local group rides.

HR wasn't getting up too high today, and not sure why that is. Decent power too. Either I'm too fit and need to aim higher in wattage now, or maybe I had low HRV from lingering fatigue, or the two beers I had last night. Hopefully the former.

Gonna get 7.5 - 8 hours in over the weekend and then rest up next week. Tomorrow, 1 hour on the trainer on the TT bike in the AM (with 1x30' z2/z3) then MTB with a buddy. Solo z2 on Sunday, gonna leave it all out on the road in the second half.
Likes For TMonk:
Old 03-24-23, 05:58 AM
BTinNYC 

March 12-18 was spotty for training, obligations took precedence and my CTL dropped 4 points. This week is better, plus the weather is changing and finally getting to ride in the real. Looking forward to a GFNY group training ride on Sunday riding 50ish miles on the course.
Likes For BTinNYC:
Old 03-24-23, 07:04 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4183 Post(s)
Liked 2,903 Times in 1,776 Posts
I've spent the last 2 weeks off the bike thanks to Covid. Planning on starting easing my way back on this weekend with some Z2 if my lungs allow it.
Old 03-24-23, 07:36 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
I am again running through back issues. They've becoming increasingly common, and harder to get over. (I am well into masters racing - so, I guess that makes sense.)

I'm really starting to wonder if I'm going to have to give up my racing and training to live a more normal, pain free life.
Old 03-24-23, 06:17 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

We live on the side of a mountain so today was sweet spot / threshold climbing. For the locals, we did Nautilas, Mount Soledad, La Jolla Mesa and Cardeno.

Last edited by Hermes; 03-25-23 at 08:21 AM.
Likes For Hermes:
Old 03-25-23, 08:16 AM
BTinNYC 

Originally Posted by himespau
I've spent the last 2 weeks off the bike thanks to Covid...
Ack. Suckage.
Old 03-25-23, 11:29 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4183 Post(s)
Liked 2,903 Times in 1,776 Posts
Originally Posted by BTinNYC
Ack. Suckage.
Tried doing a Zwift race this morning. My warmup at ~2 W/kg had my hr at 140-150 and a few easy surges at the start of the race had me peaking in the 180-185 range so I sort of shut it down and looked for some people who would pull me home at an easy pace. Looks like trying to hop back in full on was a pretty bad idea (I kind of knew that going on). Going to have to figure out what Z2 looks like for me at the moment and keep a hard limit there for a bit.
Old 03-26-23, 04:11 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,565 Times in 972 Posts
I've wanted a legit top 10 on the Umstead gravel for some time. Not some obscure segment. Gate to gate each way are among the less technical, but the highest frequented. It was windy enough a couple weeks ago that I made a run at the one from the airport side to the Raleigh side. No way without growing two more legs I could take the KOM from Mr. Muttell, but gave it a go. Got a 2nd. I feel I could have made his KOM real nervous but I simply won't kill people by riding the berms on the wrong direction of traffic down corkscrew to save time.

~23mph for a rolling hills gravel segment......when putting out power and not coasting down something steep or around a corner definitely around or over 350. It was an absolute rip.

Next up one day is the less technical Turkey segment, the more uphill leg snapper one. I've never given it a go on fresh legs, always during a long ride when tired. Or when the park is crowded and you can't save momentum in critical spots for other riders/runners.
Likes For burnthesheep:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.