Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Poseidon X Gravel Bike

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-20, 06:59 AM
SkipII

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by blak_byke
Thanks! Yes I stripped it with Aircraft stripper and hand polished it with Mothers.

Due to crank arm clearance issues, I'm running 170mm Sram X9 cranks. Since they have a removable spider, I borrowed the spider and chainring from my Force crankset and BOOM! Wider q-factor and 110BCD spider on a mtb crankset . The fork is a Rodeo Labs Spork I found on FB Market Pace. It's 15mm thru-axle and I got the rear 12mm thru-axle ($30) dropouts from Poseidon.
That polished frame looks stunning. DeLorean would be impressed.

I'm already hearing that the paint job on these are a little marginal. I was considering repainting my X when it arrives with the paint.bike powders but I might to what you did. I'm wondering if it might need to be clear-coated to minimized staining and fingerprints.

Will you be changing your forum name now?

Last edited by SkipII; 09-30-20 at 07:02 AM.
Old 09-30-20, 06:28 PM
SkipII

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
second guessing or second opinion?

If it's fair to ask this on this thread since Poseiden owners are gathered here talking about frame sizes..

I'm stuck between S and M on frame size on my order. I am 5'7" with barely a30" inseam and correspondingly short arms (30" shirt sleeve length). At first I was told Medium to ease the relatively aggressive stance of the frame but then I was told Small. (Yes, I exchanged notes with Luis, but there is some confusion there since one time he said Medium and another note he said Small without explaining why the change or whether he knew he was changing his recommendation.)

As I understood it at first, the Medium might give me a more upright priding position, which I would; prefer.

Can Poseiden riders here help with this?
Old 10-12-20, 08:32 PM
beaumontjl

Bikes: Yokota 21 speed hybrid

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Front derailleur

Can the X frame accept cable routing for a front derailleur? I ride a mix of road and forest trails and would like to run a double chainring up front for some added gearing while road riding.
Old 10-15-20, 06:06 PM
SkipII

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by trimaniac
Questions on parts, don't be afraid to ask.
I'm new to bikes, so a newbie question: What do you mean you flipped the stem?
Old 10-15-20, 08:03 PM
trimaniac

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by SkipII
I'm new to bikes, so a newbie question: What do you mean you flipped the stem?
Hi SkipII. I think it was DarKris who mentioned that he flipped his stem but I will be happy to try to explain it. A lot of stems come at an angle. Generally, they range from negative 10 to positive 17. So, if you have a stem with a moderate rise (6° being quite common), it can be flipped to offer a lower bar position (so a stem may be referred to as having a rise of +/- 6°). Hopefully, I can post this youtube video to give you a better illustration.

Likes For trimaniac:
Old 10-15-20, 08:14 PM
trimaniac

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by beaumontjl
Can the X frame accept cable routing for a front derailleur? I ride a mix of road and forest trails and would like to run a double chainring up front for some added gearing while road riding.
Hi, beaumontjl, yes, you can definitely install one. The only, thing is it has to be a frame clamp one as there are no bosses on the frame. If you look on any of the pictures posted in this thread, you will see holes on the right side of the frame for a cable to be run through to the bottom and I just checked to see that there is routing for the cable to come up the frame to the front derailleur.
Likes For trimaniac:
Old 10-18-20, 07:08 PM
blak_byke

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
That polished frame looks stunning. DeLorean would be impressed.

I'm already hearing that the paint job on these are a little marginal. I was considering repainting my X when it arrives with the paint.bike powders but I might to what you did. I'm wondering if it might need to be clear-coated to minimized staining and fingerprints.

Will you be changing your forum name now?
Ha! I'll keep the name same for now seeing as I still have a black bike lol. I've seen a couple DeLoreans in DC and really want to take a side by side shot.

The less than durable finish is the primary reason I stripped mine (came off like hot butter) and like you, seriously considering spraying mine with Spray.Bike as well this winter. Gonna practice a bit more first though. I would love to give it a brushed finish and clear it with Spray.Bike or a 2K clear as another option. Maybe learn how to do masking and spray the name back on it in a splatter scheme. Sooooo many ideas, but the cool thing is that I bought it to experiment with, so almost anything is possible
Likes For blak_byke:
Old 10-18-20, 07:15 PM
blak_byke

If it's fair to ask this on this thread since Poseiden owners are gathered here talking about frame sizes..

I'm stuck between S and M on frame size on my order. I am 5'7" with barely a30" inseam and correspondingly short arms (30" shirt sleeve length). At first I was told Medium to ease the relatively aggressive stance of the frame but then I was told Small. (Yes, I exchanged notes with Luis, but there is some confusion there since one time he said Medium and another note he said Small without explaining why the change or whether he knew he was changing his recommendation.)

As I understood it at first, the Medium might give me a more upright priding position, which I would; prefer.

Can Poseiden riders here help with this?
@ SkipII...I have a medium (54cm) and with 650b x 47, the standover is 31".

Last edited by blak_byke; 11-01-20 at 07:07 PM.
Likes For blak_byke:
Old 10-19-20, 09:05 AM
gergokee

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
that is nice!
Old 10-26-20, 01:14 PM
Pugs2xLove

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 66 Posts
New to gravel biking as well and am looking into a starter and also winter bike for this purpose. Don't want to spend too much money because of the wintry conditions. This bike does fit the bill and with disc brakes!!!
Likes For Pugs2xLove:
Old 03-05-21, 10:05 AM
EdwardT

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sorry if this is repost. I thought I posted it earlier. But it seems to be gone.

I'm looking at the Poseidon X. Both flat and drop bar. My current gravel bike is my 11 y/o HT MTB. I've done several +50 mile gravel rides on it. I'm comfortable with a flat bar bike. My concern w/ the Poseidon X is it has drop bar geometry. I'm looking at a large (for 6'0"-6'2'), and I'm 6' 2 1/2". My inseam is 36". Crotch 26". I could get the large and swap out a longer stem if my reach is too short. Or I could get the extra large. But I'm wondering if that would be a lousy fit. One other plus for a flat bar is they're in stock.

For the drop bar, I think the fit would be fine. And I think I'd be content with a drop set up. The downside is the earliest they'll ship is 3/22/21. And it finally quit raining in North Carolina!

One last thing, I'm not out to set any speed records. More of a hard charging turtle. Maintain. Go the distance.

Input appreciated.
Old 03-05-21, 10:30 AM
SkipII

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by EdwardT
Sorry if this is repost. I thought I posted it earlier. But it seems to be gone.

I'm looking at the Poseidon X. Both flat and drop bar. My current gravel bike is my 11 y/o HT MTB. I've done several +50 mile gravel rides on it. I'm comfortable with a flat bar bike. My concern w/ the Poseidon X is it has drop bar geometry. I'm looking at a large (for 6'0"-6'2'), and I'm 6' 2 1/2". My inseam is 36". Crotch 26". I could get the large and swap out a longer stem if my reach is too short. Or I could get the extra large. But I'm wondering if that would be a lousy fit. One other plus for a flat bar is they're in stock.

For the drop bar, I think the fit would be fine. And I think I'd be content with a drop set up. The downside is the earliest they'll ship is 3/22/21. And it finally quit raining in North Carolina!

One last thing, I'm not out to set any speed records. More of a hard charging turtle. Maintain. Go the distance.

Input appreciated.
I found their geometry a little tricky to figure out. For me, I installed an adjustable stem and a seat post that allowed me to tilt the seat forward a bit. I strongly suggest you contact Luis at Poseidon. He is very helpful can give you some good direction on frame sizing and your other questions. .
Old 03-05-21, 02:05 PM
EdwardT

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks Skip. Luis got right back to me. Flatbar XL ordered. Should be here next Thursday.

FYI The site has two email contact pages.
More info > Get In Touch - I'm not sure it works
Contact Us (bottom of every page) - I got an immediate reply.
Old 03-07-21, 04:24 PM
mechanicmatt
Hoards Thumbshifters

Bikes: '23 Black Mtn MC, '87 Bruce Gordon Chinook, '08 Jamis Aurora, '86 Trek 560, '97 Mongoose Rockadile, & '91 Trek 750

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked 333 Times in 192 Posts
Curious of those who have these, anyone have any trouble with toe strike with the front wheel?
Old 03-07-21, 07:02 PM
blak_byke

Originally Posted by mechanicmatt
Curious of those who have these, anyone have any trouble with toe strike with the front wheel?
None here, but I've only run 650b.
Old 03-15-21, 04:09 PM
Cheetocat

Bikes: Marin Hawk Hill, Poseidon X, Older Treks

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Two quick questions on the Poseidon X

Has anyone had any long term use of the stock wheels in a tubeless set up? I am thinking about trying this as I have seen people said it worked.

Has anyone put a dropper post on it and, if so, were you able to use internal routing using the unused cable access on the right side of the frame. I am thinking you may have to remove the bottom bracket for initial installation.

Thanks
Old 03-16-21, 01:46 PM
EdwardT

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
No dropper post. But I just got a thudbuster seatpost. It softens the bumps.
Old 03-18-21, 01:14 PM
OkFine

Bikes: Bianchi Sempre Veloce eTap, Poseidon X, Cannondale F5,

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 11 Posts
Just stumbled across the Poseidon X and it looks really interesting. Any clue on when availability might come back?
Old 03-18-21, 05:55 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
Originally Posted by okfine
just stumbled across the poseidon x and it looks really interesting. Any clue on when availability might come back?
Old 03-18-21, 05:56 PM
OkFine

Originally Posted by dwmckee
Oh. Well that sucks.
Old 03-19-21, 07:45 AM
mechanicmatt
Hoards Thumbshifters

Bikes: '23 Black Mtn MC, '87 Bruce Gordon Chinook, '08 Jamis Aurora, '86 Trek 560, '97 Mongoose Rockadile, & '91 Trek 750

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked 333 Times in 192 Posts
Originally Posted by OkFine
Oh. Well that sucks.
I thought you could still get frames and flat bar versions though.
Old 03-19-21, 08:31 AM
OkFine

Originally Posted by mechanicmatt
I thought you could still get frames and flat bar versions though.
Framset is sold out and I'm not interested in the flatbar version sadly. The Redwood is in stock, but that starts creeping in the price range of other models. Hmm.
Old 03-19-21, 09:04 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by OkFine
Just stumbled across the Poseidon X and it looks really interesting. Any clue on when availability might come back?
Originally Posted by dwmckee
DW- are you just saying that as a flippant response?
Frames are in stock- https://www.poseidonbike.com/collect...thillxframeset

Full bikes are on pre-order and still available to pre-order, with an estimate of later this month into next month for fulfillment. https://www.poseidonbike.com/collect...foothill-green

Or maybe I'm reading it wrong.
Old 03-19-21, 09:07 AM
OkFine

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
DW- are you just saying that as a flippant response?
Frames are in stock- https://www.poseidonbike.com/collect...thillxframeset

Full bikes are on pre-order and still available to pre-order, with an estimate of later this month into next month for fulfillment. https://www.poseidonbike.com/collect...foothill-green

Or maybe I'm reading it wrong.
Almost all sizes are sold out for the frame and the preorder is also sold out in most sizes as well. Seems to be a very in demand item!
Old 03-26-21, 01:40 PM
OkFine

4/2/21 is the date Poseidon gave me for restock.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.