Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

If you cycle or walk in America, the fatality stats are not just your imagination.

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

If you cycle or walk in America, the fatality stats are not just your imagination.

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-22, 03:19 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26400 Post(s)
Liked 10,373 Times in 7,202 Posts

The Exceptionally American Problem of Rising Roadway Deaths

Ms. Langenkamp was, improbably, the third foreign service officer at the State Department to die while walking or biking in the Washington area this year. She was killed in August in suburban Bethesda, Md. Another died in July while biking in Foggy Bottom. The third, a retired foreign service officer working on contract, was walking near the agency’s headquarters in August. That is more foreign service officers killed by vehicles at home than have died overseas this year, noted Dan Langenkamp, Ms. Langenkamp’s husband and a foreign service officer himself.

“It’s infuriating to me as a U.S. diplomat,” he told the rally in her honor, “to be a person that goes around the world bragging about our record, trying to get people to think like us — to know that we are such failures on this issue.”

That assessment has become increasingly true. The U.S. has diverged over the past decade from other comparably developed countries, where traffic fatalities have been falling. This American exception became even starker during the pandemic. In 2020, as car travel plummeted around the world, traffic fatalities broadly fell as well. But in the U.S., the opposite happened. Travel declined, and deaths still went up. Preliminary federal data suggests road fatalities rose again in 2021.
Old 12-26-22, 04:05 PM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4369 Post(s)
Liked 1,546 Times in 1,012 Posts
The road deaths didn't go down because the US wasn't on the kind of lockdown Europe was, and everyone started road tripping and cycling. Commuter traffic decreased, but a whole bunch of people were out on the road in campers and bikes that weren't used to either.

I'll bet hiking deaths went up, too.
Likes For Kontact:
Old 12-26-22, 04:11 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,644 Times in 826 Posts
Originally Posted by Kontact
The road deaths didn't go down because the US wasn't on the kind of lockdown Europe was, and everyone started road tripping and cycling. Commuter traffic decreased, but a whole bunch of people were out on the road in campers and bikes that weren't used to either.

Boating deaths increased by about 24%.
Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 12-26-22, 08:42 PM
flangehead

Bikes: 2017 Co-op ADV 1.1; ~1991 Novara Arriba; 1990 Fuji Palisade; mid-90's Moots Tandem; 1985 Performance Superbe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked 572 Times in 332 Posts
A TXDOT study cites speed:

“Why did we see a decrease in pedestrian and bicycle crashes, but an increase in fatalities in 2020?
The unique circumstances caused by the pandemic in 2020 had a profound effect on traffic safety. There was less traffic delay on Texas roadways in 2020 than in 2019 (TTI, 2021) and vehicle miles travelled (VMT) decreased by 13.2 percent across the U.S. during 2020 (NHTSA, 2021). American roadway infrastructure is designed for speed, and speed is a decisive factor in crash severity (Bolotnikova, 2021). Therefore, higher speeds due to lower traffic volumes equals more fatal crashes. This is especially concerning for pedestrians and bicyclists who already have a lower likelihood of surviving a crash involving a motor vehicle at higher speeds.“

My narrow vision of Texas is consistent with this conclusion. Motorists in my area sped up during the lockdown and have not yet slowed much.

(Reference: https://www.walkbikesafetexas.org/wp...rev.pdf#page40)
Likes For flangehead:
Old 12-26-22, 09:26 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
Boating deaths increased by about 24%.
...imagination, is funny. It makes a cloudy day sunny.
...a revolution in car safety brought more seatbelt usage, standard-issue airbags and safer car frames, said Yonah Freemark, a researcher at the Urban Institute.

Fatalities fell as a result, in the U.S. and internationally. But as cars grew safer for the people inside them, the U.S. didn’t progress as other countries did to prioritizing the safety of people outside them.

“Other countries started to take seriously pedestrian and cyclist injuries in the 2000s — and started making that a priority in both vehicle design and street design — in a way that has never been committed to in the United States,” Mr. Freemark said.

Other developed countries lowered speed limits and built more protected bike lanes. They moved faster in making standard in-vehicle technology like automatic braking systems that detect pedestrians, and vehicle hoods that are less deadly to them. They designed roundabouts that reduce the danger at intersections, where fatalities disproportionately occur.

In the U.S. in the past two decades, by contrast, vehicles have grown significantly bigger and thus deadlier to the people they hit. Many states curb the ability of local governments to set lower speed limits. The five-star federal safety rating that consumers can look for when buying a car today doesn’t take into consideration what that car might do to pedestrians.

These diverging histories mean that while the U.S. and France had similar per capita fatality rates in the 1990s, Americans today are three times as likely to die in a traffic crash, according to Mr. Freemark’s research.
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/11/27/u...x_guide_recirc
Old 12-26-22, 09:42 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

New estimates from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) show that nearly 43,000 people died in crashes in 2021, an 11% jump from 2020. Fatalities and serious injuries among pedestrians and cyclists, in particular, have skyrocketed by more than 50% in the past decade, dramatically outpacing overall roadway deaths.

Data confirms the role of vehicle design in exacerbating the safety emergency unfolding on our nation’s streets, with studies from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) and Consumer Reports documenting direct links between increased vehicle size and weight, reduced visibility from the driver’s seat and rising traffic fatalities.
https://nacto.org/2022/05/24/why-the...n-do-about-it/
Old 12-26-22, 10:32 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Youtube just recommended this video to me. It's 3 years old and I have no idea what region or country it represents. I'm assuming the world.

Probability of death
Bicycle 1:4050
Pedestrian by car crash: 1: 556
car crash: 1:113
Old 12-26-22, 10:39 PM
Kontact 

Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...imagination, is funny. It makes a cloudy day sunny.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/11/27/u...x_guide_recirc
Your OP is about what happened since 2020. Then you follow it up with articles about change over 30 years. Those are separate things. The US didn't make any traffic infrastructure changes in the last two years.
Likes For Kontact:
Old 12-27-22, 09:23 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts

If you're going to blame this long term difference in trends to just one thing that only affected a few months, that's kind of a silly argument.

I was riding around during the height of the shut-down in the U.S. and what I saw was that the traffic was down to delivery trucks and a few people who were driving like there weren't any speed limits. Traffic was light, but it was like watching the Road Warrior movies. Different countries in Europe had varying degrees of lock-down. If you really want to prove your assertions, you'll need to compare them for bicycle/pedestrian fatality trends.
Old 12-27-22, 09:26 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Your OP is about what happened since 2020. Then you follow it up with articles about change over 30 years. Those are separate things. The US didn't make any traffic infrastructure changes in the last two years.

Nuh-uh. The OP was only in part about 2020 and since. Read a little more carefully:

"That assessment has become increasingly true. The U.S. has diverged over the past decade from other comparably developed countries, where traffic fatalities have been falling. This American exception became even starker during the pandemic. In 2020, as car travel plummeted around the world, traffic fatalities broadly fell as well. But in the U.S., the opposite happened. Travel declined, and deaths still went up. Preliminary federal data suggests road fatalities rose again in 2021."

There's nothing in there to suggest that what's happened since 2020 was not part of a longer-term trend.
Old 12-27-22, 10:36 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Your OP is about what happened since 2020.

...no. Just no.
Old 12-27-22, 01:13 PM
Kontact 

...no. Just no.
Ah, yup:

This American exception became even starker during the pandemic. In 2020, as car travel plummeted around the world, traffic fatalities broadly fell as well. But in the U.S., the opposite happened. Travel declined, and deaths still went up. Preliminary federal data suggests road fatalities rose again in 2021.
Old 12-27-22, 01:28 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Ah, yup:

This American exception became even starker during the pandemic. In 2020, as car travel plummeted around the world, traffic fatalities broadly fell as well. But in the U.S., the opposite happened. Travel declined, and deaths still went up. Preliminary federal data suggests road fatalities rose again in 2021.
...if you read my second post, the extended quote in it is from the original referenced article in the Times. It's longer than the first quote, but so is the article, if you choose to read it. In the next post, that quote is from a link that is referenced in the original Times piece. I can only give you the references, I can't make you read them.

So no, I'm not introducing anything new in the argument. What I am doing is to stop responding to you.
Old 12-27-22, 02:17 PM
Kontact 

...if you read my second post, the extended quote in it is from the original referenced article in the Times. It's longer than the first quote, but so is the article, if you choose to read it. In the next post, that quote is from a link that is referenced in the original Times piece. I can only give you the references, I can't make you read them.

So no, I'm not introducing anything new in the argument. What I am doing is to stop responding to you.
That's fine, because blindly posting articles that aren't pertinent to my post is not a response. A bot can do that.
Likes For Kontact:
Old 12-27-22, 05:02 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5772 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,420 Posts
Whenever I see stat reports like this, I remind myself of the story of the statistician who drowned in a river with an average depth of 3 feet.

While number do tell a story, it's easy to misunderstand the story they tell. There are all sorts of factors which can affect the numbers, so any effort to draw conclusions must include a careful analysis to see the story behind the story.

I remember the reports of declining murder rates in major US cities many decades back. It looked like great news until it was noted that the attempted murder rates went up over the same period. Turns out that emergency response and treatment improved so the odds of survival improved.

In any case, we don't individually live or die based on statistics. What matters is what we each do to in our daily lives.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 12-27-22, 05:53 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Originally Posted by FBinNY
Whenever I see stat reports like this, I remind myself of the story of the statistician who drowned in a river with an average depth of 3 feet.

While number do tell a story, it's easy to misunderstand the story they tell. There are all sorts of factors which can affect the numbers, so any effort to draw conclusions must include a careful analysis to see the story behind the story.

I remember the reports of declining murder rates in major US cities many decades back. It looked like great news until it was noted that the attempted murder rates went up over the same period. Turns out that emergency response and treatment improved so the odds of survival improved.

In any case, we don't individually live or die based on statistics. What matters is what we each do to in our daily lives.
...note that the original posted link mentions the state department employee who was crushed because "she was riding in the blind spot" of a truck.
Note also that in general, claiming that you didn't see someone you kill on a bicycle while driving, is a successful defense against any legal ramifications.

Then read this.

The numbers (over the longer term) are pretty clear on this. Talk about lies, damn lies, and statistics simply distracts from the things we could do as a nation to reduce these fatalities.
Old 12-27-22, 06:06 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

...note that the original posted link mentions the state department employee who was crushed because "she was riding in the blind spot" of a truck.
Note also that in general, claiming that you didn't see someone you kill on a bicycle while driving, is a successful defense against any legal ramifications.

Then read this.

The numbers (over the longer term) are pretty clear on this. Talk about lies, damn lies, and statistics simply distracts from the things we could do as a nation to reduce these fatalities.
You and I usually agree, and this isn't really an exception.

However, we do seem to have very different worldviews. You, like many here focus on improving safety through institutional changes. OTOH - I prefer to try to improve safety by teaching folks how to stay safe.

Using the case tou cited as an example, you're focused on blaming a driver for hooking a cyclist that he might not have seen (not accepting the excuse, just citing the factual possibility). I'm more interested in teaching about the very specific hazard of being in blind spots at intersections

So, we're in agreement about the goal, but have different opinions on how best to get there. However, they're not mutually exclusive, and both are important.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

Likes For FBinNY:
Old 12-27-22, 07:54 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

You and I usually agree, and this isn't really an exception.

However, we do seem to have very different worldviews. You, like many here focus on improving safety through institutional changes. OTOH - I prefer to try to improve safety by teaching folks how to stay safe.

Using the case tou cited as an example, you're focused on blaming a driver for hooking a cyclist that he might not have seen (not accepting the excuse, just citing the factual possibility). I'm more interested in teaching about the very specific hazard of being in blind spots at intersections

So, we're in agreement about the goal, but have different opinions on how best to get there. However, they're not mutually exclusive, and both are important.
...I'm just tired of being told that my failure to make myself as visible as is humanly possible on a bicycle, (which I try to do), is a legit excuse for someone in a large truck, step van, or even a larger SUV can kill me without much consequence, when there are technical solutions to many blind spot issues readily available and on the shelf. I drove big, articulated fire trucks for many years. The techno-solutions were not available then, but I managed not to squash anyone....possibly only through good luck.

I just don't think anyone will spend the money on these things unless they are mandated and required.

It's not that I don't understand the hazards of driving stuff that is big and unwieldy. I just find it unacceptable that these side scanning techo-thingies are not currently mandated by law. And car designs that willingly impose visual limitations to the rear and sides, with the hope that a backup camera will somehow remedy the situation are just wrong from the getgo. In essence, we have said to the vehicle manufacturing industry that anything goes in terms of clear visibility. Those cars and trucks will still be on the road for another 20-30 years. It needs to change, if we are to have any hope of moving in a better direction on pedestrian and bicycle fatalities.

That way, even the people you are not able to teach have a better chance of survival. Remember the idea that if we just get enough cyclists on the road, drivers will start paying more attention to them ? That ship has sailed.
Old 12-27-22, 10:18 PM
FBinNY 

...I'm just tired of being told that my failure to make myself as visible as is humanly possible on a bicycle, (which I try to do), is a legit excuse ...

. I drove big, articulated fire trucks for many years.....

Those cars and trucks will still be on the road for another 20-30 years. .....

Remember the idea that if we just get enough cyclists on the road, drivers will start paying more attention to them ?.....
As I said we basically agree. I, for one refuse to go to great lengths to make myself visible. Actually, I consider myself invisible, and ride accordingly...

Since you drove a long vehicle, you know how low turning speeds are in the city. Timing things out supports the notion that hooked bicycles are likely to have been behind the truck, and cycled into the kill zone AFTER the truck started its turn. Of course, we don't know if they signaled it. So, while not excusing drivers, I feel obligated to remind cyclists about not contributing to their own demise.....

As you point out, even with Improved designs and various safety mandates, the existing fleet will outlive me, and many here. .....

Lastly, I guess I'm just stubborn, but I never bought into the idea that more bikes on the road would magically make us safer.

Last edited by FBinNY; 12-27-22 at 10:27 PM.
Old 12-27-22, 10:33 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Lastly, I guess I'm just stubborn, but I never bought into the idea that more bikes on the road would magically make us safer.
....I fell for that line. It seemed so logical. "They have a lot of bikes on the road in the Netherlands, and cyclists are statistically much safer there. Once we get significant numbers of cyclists on the roads In America, our country will follow suit. Recruit more cyclists." Now I feel stupid for believing it.
Old 12-27-22, 10:51 PM
FBinNY 

....I fell for that line. It seemed so logical. "They have a lot of bikes on the road in the Netherlands, and cyclists are statistically much safer there. Once we get significant numbers of cyclists on the roads In America, our country will follow suit. Recruit more cyclists." Now I feel stupid for believing it.
People keep trying to compare the USA to some other country. It never works for various reasons. IMO, one of the key differences that works against us is cultural. We're a society obsessed with "RIGHTS", while our counterparts are more interested in how to work together toward goals.

This forum reflects that. Many here firmly believe that our issues can only be solved by others changing. Outliers like me believe that change begins at home.

Likes For FBinNY:
Old 12-28-22, 06:45 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,963 Times in 1,913 Posts
People keep trying to compare the USA to some other country. It never works for various reasons. IMO, one of the key differences that works against us is cultural. We're a society obsessed with "RIGHTS", while our counterparts are more interested in how to work together toward goals.

This forum reflects that. Many here firmly believe that our issues can only be solved by others changing. Outliers like me believe that change begins at home.
I agree. I think that no matter the stats used in the specific timeline, the USA has always faced peds fatality issues due to influenced selfish cultivated ways.
Old 12-28-22, 07:49 AM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 571 Posts
We also have vehicles and higher speeds, so more fatalities would be expected. Although that doesn't really explain the relative change in rates.
Old 12-28-22, 09:29 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

If "by others changing" you include changes in infrastructure, laws and regulations, I'd say that both views probably don't make sense if they don't acknowledge the value of the other. The US is an outlier in both pedestrian and cyclist fatality rates and if we limit our response to that to being retraining of the individual habits of cyclists and pedestrians, I don't think much will happen to change that. On an individual level, however, the systematic changes may not have any appreciable effects in the short run which, as Keynes pointed out, is where we actually live our lives--"in the long run, we are all dead." Systematic changes are not going to be of much use to me if I get killed riding in someone's blind spot before they get implemented and/or become effective.

Likes For livedarklions:
Old 12-28-22, 11:39 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

...I have lived long enough to see this as a change, not something built in to the American model. There was a time in America when there were a significant number of citizens who were genuinely moved by Kennedy's "Ask not what your country can do for you..." speech. There has been a large and loud debate recently over rights vs responsibilities on the public health front. My opinion is that those who shout the loudest should not be permitted to set the national agenda.

If I say any more, this probably goes to P+R. But my personal opinion is that you are mistaking a dearth of leadership for a national mindset.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.