Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Skin Cancer

Old 01-01-23, 07:25 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Skin Cancer

A few of you may remember me from days gone by ... the long distance cyclist. Thousands upon thousands of kilometres outside on the road riding metric centuries, centuries, and brevets of all sorts.
It had to happen sooner or later.
In November I was diagnosed with skin cancer on my nose and hip.
In December the skin cancer was removed from my nose and hip and my nose was restructured.

Put a little dab of sunscreen on your nose next time you're out!

The hip skin cancer could have something to do with the time I spent in tanning beds back in the day.
Old 01-01-23, 07:44 AM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4363 Post(s)
Liked 3,000 Times in 1,853 Posts
Glad that you caught it in time. best of luck with the recovery and thanks for the reminder.
Likes For MinnMan:
Old 01-01-23, 10:46 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,577 Times in 2,341 Posts
awww, sounds rough, thank you for reminding us. hope you feel better
Old 01-01-23, 12:26 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3221 Post(s)
Liked 2,046 Times in 1,170 Posts
I'm at the dermatologist twice per year so he can treat assorted spots on the top of my head and arms. Scrapes off, does biopsy, then uses the liquid nitrogen freeze stuff to kill the pre-cancerous spots. It didn't help that I spent a lot of my youth around pools, partly naked.
Old 01-01-23, 01:56 PM
Charles Lathe

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 25 Posts
I have had two squamous cell carcinomas surgically removed — one on my hand and one on my thigh. I wear long sleeve shirts, long pants, and a hat with a brim when I am outside.
Old 02-04-23, 01:43 AM
Mtracer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 299 Times in 190 Posts
Glad you caught it and have dealt with it.

I live in the very sunny desert southwest and have taken sunscreen seriously for decades. More so lately now that my daughter is an epidemiologist and did her PhD on skin cancer.

Based on her recommendation, I use mineral sunscreen on every ride on any areas that might get exposed, cloudy or sunny days.

FYI, mineral sunscreens work by literally reflecting the light and as a result actually keep you cooler.

About a year ago, I inadvertently bought a chemical sunscreen. Same brand as my go-to mineral version. It had nearly identical packaging. After about a month of using this, I was convinced it just wasn't working as well. Finishing rides with some obvious redness and just feeling hotter on rides. My daughter looked at it and said something to the effect of "dad, you idiot, this isn't mineral sunscreen." She didn't actually call me an idiot, but it was implied.

I really think the mineral sunscreen results in less stress on my body. Sure I look rather pale wearing it. But I simply don't care. It works well for me.
Old 02-04-23, 07:07 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4385 Post(s)
Liked 4,827 Times in 2,983 Posts
Thanks for the reminder. I got burnt last year on a local century ride that turned out a lot sunnier than expected.
Old 02-07-23, 01:57 AM
elcruxio

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 223 Posts
I'm glad my wife pressured me into the whole sunscreen thing. I used to get burned frequently especially on rides, but recently long sleeve jerseys and 50+ sunscreen added frequently has kept me burn free.

Melanoma is one of the most aggressive types of cancer so the hassle of adding sunscreen etc. is well worth the trouble if I can avoid that particular disease.
Old 02-07-23, 06:22 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
I've had to have stuff cut off my skin, the worst was a 3 incher on my face from the mohs procedure but it was painless and the scar isn't visible. Wearing a hat with a brim is probably a good idea for a teen caddying 36 holes a day or recumbent riders doing a double
Old 02-07-23, 07:50 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4224 Post(s)
Liked 2,944 Times in 1,803 Posts
Best of luck with the recovery. After getting hit by a car, I do most of my riding indoors, so my main environmental worry is long term accumulation of tiny amounts of radon in my basement (or something weird coming off my computer screen).
Old 02-07-23, 11:42 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 444 Post(s)
Liked 844 Times in 408 Posts
Sorry for the late post, but I had indeed noticed your absence for a while. Glad to hear you seem to be on the mend. Hope you can enjoy your summer.
Likes For blacknbluebikes: