Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

Any carbon framebuilders around?

Search
Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-23, 05:09 AM
kooby

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts

I'm an am amateur to framebuilding (but learning fast!), currently riding my first carbon frame, building my second, and designing my third.
I'm wondering if there are any other, more experienced carbon frame builders on this forum willing to share some information and experience. I'm especially curious about preferences when it comes to bottom brackets, dropouts, and bottle bosses, as well as monocoque vs bonded tube constructions.
Old 01-04-23, 08:14 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,696 Times in 2,517 Posts
I don't think we have anyone that posts here regularly that works with carbon. I always wanted to build carbon frames. I even took a class on composite materials back in 1981. That was a mistake, the professor talked me out of building frames.
Old 01-04-23, 08:50 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4202 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,309 Posts
Over on Velocipede Salon there's a few that do. Or there's a few who in the past have posted. None that I remember ever talked about teaching though. Andy
Old 01-05-23, 07:52 AM
Canaboo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
What are you building your first with? Tube to tube carbon is not rocket science. Neither is monocoque if you are using a foam core.
Old 01-05-23, 04:28 PM
guy153

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 263 Times in 212 Posts
I've made a steel frame with a carbon TT and DT going into "lugs" that I welded up. I don't think there's much benefit to this over just using steel (actually I prefer steel) but it's what the friend I was making it for wanted. But this probably isn't relevant to what you're trying to do.

But if you want to post about it I will be interested to read it!
Old 01-07-23, 11:41 AM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4399 Post(s)
Liked 1,556 Times in 1,021 Posts
On Velocipede there was a tutorial posted by a guy who made tube to tube carbon frames commercially. He showed how he used sanded filler to blend the joints and then over-wrapped them with carbon. Lot's of good detail. I forget the brand.

For a more basic technique, there are lots of pics out there of Calfee's method using carbon tow for building customs like tandems or working with bamboo. The joint is a big knot of tow that is ground smooth after it has cured.

I've always wanted to try doing it with carbon socks, like how fork crowns used to be made.
Old 01-07-23, 11:43 AM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 669 Post(s)
Liked 971 Times in 645 Posts
Serotta did it back then ,now I don't know who does carbon custom frames.
Old 01-07-23, 03:06 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,696 Times in 2,517 Posts
Originally Posted by Kontact
On Velocipede there was a tutorial posted by a guy who made tube to tube carbon frames commercially. He showed how he used sanded filler to blend the joints and then over-wrapped them with carbon. Lot's of good detail. I forget the brand.
I thought about mentioning that too, but I'm pretty sure there are no pictures any more. And I also forget his name. Also, they reorganized again and the thread is hidden in history

It was Nick Crumpton

Last edited by unterhausen; 01-07-23 at 04:22 PM.
Old 01-07-23, 05:58 PM
Canaboo

It was Crumpton. The whole process actually is quite simple. There's a limited number of ways you can wrap carbon around a lug
Even with all the theory on how to do it you still need to actually be able to execute the idea yourself.
You'll see a lot of carbon work done by people who know what needs to be done but struggle to actually execute the process.
Likes For Canaboo:
Old 01-07-23, 07:16 PM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4399 Post(s)
Liked 1,556 Times in 1,021 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
I thought about mentioning that too, but I'm pretty sure there are no pictures any more. And I also forget his name. Also, they reorganized again and the thread is hidden in history

It was Nick Crumpton
Found the thread, but the pics are, indeed, gone.
https://www.velocipedesalon.com/foru...ing-18058.html
Old 01-07-23, 07:50 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4202 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,309 Posts
Originally Posted by Canaboo
It was Crumpton. The whole process actually is quite simple. There's a limited number of ways you can wrap carbon around a lug
Even with all the theory on how to do it you still need to actually be able to execute the idea yourself.
You'll see a lot of carbon work done by people who know what needs to be done but struggle to actually execute the process.
One could say the same about a lot of endeavors. In my mind I am a great singer but I've learned to keep my mouth shut when the music starts. Andy
Old 01-08-23, 12:21 PM
Canaboo

Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
One could say the same about a lot of endeavors. In my mind I am a great singer but I've learned to keep my mouth shut when the music starts. Andy
Yes but poor work by an otherwise knowledgeable person can be easily passed off as proper work to those who don't know better.
Old 01-09-23, 03:29 AM
smontanaro 

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1444 Post(s)
Liked 1,392 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by Kontact
Found the thread, but the pics are, indeed, gone.
https://www.velocipedesalon.com/foru...ing-18058.html
There is a single Wayback Machine capture that seems to have some photos:
​​​​​​https://web.archive.org/web/20220627...ng-18058.html?
Old 01-09-23, 03:31 AM
smontanaro 

Also, Tim Massengill does (or did) custom carbon fiber frames. He's good friends with Doug Fattic who can probably put you in touch.
Old 01-09-23, 06:22 AM
Canaboo

Here's an article that shows a lot of the process used by Crumpton. https://pezcyclingnews.com/technspec...rbon-crumpton/

To me the joints could be made to look a lot neater.

ETA. This is an old article and I will say his bikes do look much neater on the lug joints now. I believe he no longer uses woven carbon on them The build along that disappeared showed unidirectional.

Last edited by Canaboo; 01-09-23 at 01:38 PM.
Old 01-10-23, 01:55 AM
kooby

Thanks for the responses everyone

Originally Posted by Canaboo
What are you building your first with? Tube to tube carbon is not rocket science. Neither is monocoque if you are using a foam core.
My first frame was monocoque using a 3d printed core instead of a foam one. My result was not the best aesthetically, but was rideable (its still my daily rider today). I would have liked to had done a tube+lug construction but at the time (pandemic + college student budget) it came out cheaper to buy all the carbon and do it monocoque.

Recently I've gotten back into carbon fiber as I'm working on a carbon cargo bike build and experimenting with some other carbon fiber component projects. And I've discovered a lot of interesting people doing interesting things with carbon fiber out here in eastern europe.
Likes For kooby:
Old 01-10-23, 06:16 AM
smontanaro 

3D printed core? Got pix?
Old 01-13-23, 03:10 AM
kooby

Originally Posted by smontanaro
3D printed core? Got pix?
Sorry for the long wait

Here is the top tube being printed.

Here are all the core parts glued together and mounted in my low-tech jig. The HT, BB, and seat cluster were printed from plastic mixed with carbon fiber for some added strength.

Here's the final result. It doesn't look great, but it rides pretty well and was a great learning experience
A lot of the lessons I learned building this bike have helped me with deigning and working on my current project I'm working on.
Likes For kooby:
Old 01-15-23, 08:32 AM
Doug Fattic 
framebuilder

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 615 Post(s)
Liked 1,916 Times in 656 Posts
Originally Posted by kooby
I'm an am amateur to framebuilding (but learning fast!), currently riding my first carbon frame, building my second, and designing my third.
I'm wondering if there are any other, more experienced carbon frame builders on this forum willing to share some information and experience. I'm especially curious about preferences when it comes to bottom brackets, dropouts, and bottle bosses, as well as monocoque vs bonded tube constructions.
kooby, nice frame work! You will want to get in contact with Tim Massengill. I'll send you his contact information by PM. He is also an amateur carbon framebuilder and painter in Texas. He has been doing that for a long time. He learned steel framebuilding from me when he was nearby in college and graduate school many years ago. He has been involved with our Ukraine charity bicycle project for over 20 years. Between 2001 and 2008 we used to do these week long bike rides somewhere in the boonies of Ukraine. He went to the bicycle show in Kieice, Poland in 2016. He spent 3 months in Bucha, Ukraine in 2018 making some of our steel fillet brazed frames. Twice he has repaired and repainted our former president George W. Bush's Trek carbon frames. He has designed and made a take apart carbon travel bike too. I think Tim has done some 3D printing as well. I'm sure you two have some things in common you will want to discuss. If any of us can get back into Ukraine to continue working on our bicycle project, we will probably have to fly into Poland and drive to Ukraine. Because of the Russian invasion (which started at the airport a stone's throw from our workshop in Bucha), we have focused this year on general humanitarian aid including getting generators and wood burning stoves to some of the areas hardest hit by the Russians. The Ukrainian company that makes my laser cut stainless steel fixtures is also the one making the heaters. The Russians did break into and steal general tools in our workshop but left all the fixtures fortunately.
Likes For Doug Fattic:
Old 01-17-23, 07:52 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,822 Times in 1,541 Posts
maybe check out some facebook groups....I see people popping up on framebuilders that do carbon