Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

Cable standoffs on a coupled tandem

Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Old 02-07-23, 10:24 AM
RoulezTandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

In constructing a custom steel framed tandem with S&S couplers to ease transport,
we found that off-the-shelf cable guides (brake, shift) did not permit the necessary cable splitters to clear the S&S frame couplers.

Don't other builders using S&S couplers have this problem?

Here is our solution.
Kudos to Jay Borden of Roulez Cycle, Lynn MA. Our framebuilder, problemsolver, and machinist extrodinaire.

cable splitter ends hung up on the S&S coupler

machining cable guide standoffs from 0.5" steel plate, using hole saws to machine inside and outside radius.

test fitting the standoffs. cable guide tacked to each. The original brazed guides on left of photo were removed.

final build showing the cable guide system on bottom tube.
Old 02-07-23, 02:22 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4194 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
Here's how I handled it. In this frame's case the cable coupler was to be ahead of the S&S coupler and the clearance issue was with the cable housing passing by the S&S to the rear caliper. I made a short stand off from a 1/4" tube. I have done this "stop on a stand off" thing many times, the most recently to route a brake cable about the BB shell and provide a barrel adjuster at the top of the down tube, both times to not interfere with the two gear cables. Andy

Old 02-07-23, 04:39 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,686 Times in 2,509 Posts
It wouldn't have helped the OP, but I thought Paragon used to sell stops that would clear an S&S. I went looking for them recently and didn't find them. There are some Asian sourced stops with standoffs, but I don't think anyone in the U.S. carries them any more.