Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Progressive? How?

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Progressive? How?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-23, 03:08 PM
Joe Bikerider

Bikes: 1969 Peugeot PX10, 1992 Della Santa, Linus Roadster 8, Biria 700C ST-8

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 794 Post(s)
Liked 508 Times in 322 Posts
Progressive? How?

Just now while waiting for a break in traffic I observed a white car labelled Progressive blow right through a stop sign. I had thought that having a huge sign would make the company’s drivers be a little more careful. At least they told me that when I checked out a University of California car some years ago.

So when I got to a place where I could sit down I called Progressive. After navigating their menus for a while I actually got to a real person. I explained the situation and was asked “What do you want?”

I told her that this was a safety issue that he company had created and I was mad. That got nowhere so I hung up and am now posting here.

The car was traveling North on Buena Vista ave crossing First ave. Walnut Creek California.

Enjoy
Likes For Joe Bikerider:
Old 02-17-23, 03:19 PM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked 1,832 Times in 829 Posts
I drove marked vehicles for the State of Arizona for over 30 years, most of them with emergency lighting systems. I recall a supervisor early in my career stating that our taxpaying clients don't like to see vehicular misbehavior, and that it's a trivial task to link a vehicle number or plate to a specific office or employee and we all have better things to do than deal with the fun folks at the Inspector General's office. In addition, we were advised (as I advised my staff) that any use of the vehicle or lighting systems in a manner that could reasonably be interpreted as being that purely of a law enforcement officer could result in felony charges; e.g. OK to use the lights to warn, but not to detain or intimidate.

From what I've seen with private entities, I think it mostly has to do with their culture and perceived exposure to litigation or public shaming. For example, calling in a small business vehicle might get a laugh before a hang-up or a "you deserved it" reply - or a sincere apology. Larger ones might vary, but I have noticed in general the larger the organization, the harder they make it to contact any human - you get AI chat, pre-recorded phone tree to nowhere, or an e-form that in all likelihood is only faithfully read by Mr. Dev Null.
Likes For RCMoeur:
Old 02-17-23, 04:01 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Progressive, that's the insurance company, right? How ironic.

Good for you in contacting them. But I would go one step further. If you have photos or all the identifying numbers and details, contact the CEO or somebody with real PR responsibility.

I have contacted many companies. Couriers like DHL and Fedex respond back acknowledging the issue. I don't really care if others don't respond back but if they do get lots and lots of complaints about their drivers, somebody in their company ought to take notice.
Likes For Daniel4:
Old 02-17-23, 05:45 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,536 Times in 1,045 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe Bikerider
Just now while waiting for a break in traffic I observed a white car labelled Progressive blow right through a stop sign. I had thought that having a huge sign would make the company’s drivers be a little more careful. At least they told me that when I checked out a University of California car some years ago.

So when I got to a place where I could sit down I called Progressive. After navigating their menus for a while I actually got to a real person. I explained the situation and was asked “What do you want?”

I told her that this was a safety issue that he company had created and I was mad. That got nowhere so I hung up and am now posting here.

The car was traveling North on Buena Vista ave crossing First ave. Walnut Creek California.

Enjoy
What do you want?
Old 02-17-23, 09:04 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,969 Times in 1,918 Posts
probably had PLPD coverage.
Old 02-17-23, 10:20 PM
Joe Bikerider

Bikes: 1969 Peugeot PX10, 1992 Della Santa, Linus Roadster 8, Biria 700C ST-8

Quoted: 794 Post(s)
Liked 508 Times in 322 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
What do you want?
I rode through a red light at Oak Park Blvd and Buskirk just to even things out.
Likes For Joe Bikerider:
Old 02-18-23, 09:51 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by Joe Bikerider
I rode through a red light at Oak Park Blvd and Buskirk just to even things out.
And had the benefit of getting you to your destination that much sooner.
Probably as useful to safety or advocacy as notifying CEOs of companies complaining that a driver of a vehicle with the company logo allegedly committed a traffic violation that had no collision, injury or damage involved and no law enforcement involvement.
Old 02-18-23, 03:45 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
And had the benefit of getting you to your destination that much sooner.
Probably as useful to safety or advocacy as notifying CEOs of companies complaining that a driver of a vehicle with the company logo allegedly committed a traffic violation that had no collision, injury or damage involved and no law enforcement involvement.

You might consider getting one of these:

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dict...e%20of%20humor
Old 02-18-23, 06:20 PM
Bald Paul

Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 1,655 Times in 782 Posts
The Progressive car was just travelling with the "Flo" of traffic.
Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 02-20-23, 07:39 PM
jon c. 

Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 571 Posts
That's funny. I encountered a driver in a Progressive car making a chucklehead move in traffic a couple days ago as well. Memorable for the irony.
Old 02-21-23, 10:02 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
lost count of how many cops I see looking at their phones, as they drive by me, going the other way. what am I gonna do? complain?
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 02-23-23, 12:11 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by jon c.
That's funny. I encountered a driver in a Progressive car making a chucklehead move in traffic a couple days ago as well. Memorable for the irony.

My guess is the adjusters have a quota and so they're always in a hurry. Definitely ironic if the insurance company set up their incentives in that way
Old 02-26-23, 05:01 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by glanmit
I report drivers like that regularly.
How exactly and to whom do you "report drivers like that"? What is the result of your "reports"?
Old 02-26-23, 06:18 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18376 Post(s)
Liked 4,510 Times in 3,352 Posts
I used to see trucks with a big sign on the back "How am I driving... Call... (555) 555-5555"

I haven't seen that very frequently lately. Perhaps truck drivers got tired of the notes.

Many fleet owners have trackers on all their vehicles. So if you have a time and place, they should be able to identify the driver.

I think Progressive had an OBDII tracker that they were giving some clients. So far they haven't offered one to me. However, ideally it would have location and speed data for each vehicle. And, thus one could check for blowing stop signs. I would hope they would also install one of those in their fleet vehicles.
Old 03-05-23, 06:53 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5781 Post(s)
Liked 2,578 Times in 1,429 Posts
Many branded vehicles sport signs "report bad driving to .......". These are companies who care. It might simply be about image, or real concern about safety and an effort to weed out bad drivers.

OTOH we need to keep in mind that many companies pay to "wrap" cars using them as rolling billboards. These are usually contracted through 3rd part brokers, and the advertised firm has no control over the driver

Many companies, especially those who know where their vehicles are AR any time, and who's driving are very diligent. They may not seem to respond with particulars, but.do use statistical QC methodology to identify and sanction drivers with a pattern of poor driving.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 03-07-23, 12:07 PM
jon c. 

Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 571 Posts
Had an instance where I was bit steamed at a young kid in a contractor's truck and trailer that tried to pass between two groups of cyclists on a narrow road approaching the top of a hill. Wouldn't have bothered myself but when I told my wife the story she called the company. The guy initially said it wasn't one of his trucks. Was surprised when he called back ten minutes later and said he had found out it was his truck and he would have a few words with the driver. Good marketing.
Likes For jon c.:
Old 03-09-23, 09:05 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by jon c.
Had an instance where I was bit steamed at a young kid in a contractor's truck and trailer that tried to pass between two groups of cyclists on a narrow road approaching the top of a hill. Wouldn't have bothered myself but when I told my wife the story she called the company. The guy initially said it wasn't one of his trucks. Was surprised when he called back ten minutes later and said he had found out it was his truck and he would have a few words with the driver. Good marketing.

I'm impressed that he would actually check after his initial denial and then go out of his way to admit he had been wrong.

I'm guessing that means the kid was driving the truck somewhere other than where he was supposed to be.